Author Topic: Troy Bayliss Classic 2013 and 2014  (Read 112767 times)

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Troy Bayliss Classic 2013 and 2014
« Reply #390 on: January 22, 2014, 11:18:27 pm »
Well, I have just read from page 20 through to 26 and find the posts some have made to be in very poor form. Just to highlight a few JOHNNYO "Quality of bikes pretty ordinary" " international race not a club day" " better quality field"    FIRKO  " dog breakfast of classes, presentation and riders ability"  DAVIDMC "alot of fast guys who would have liked to race" GRAEMEM " hire some young guns" 090  "showcase the best bikes and fastest riders" "shake off the old shit box stigma that is associated with our sport".  You all say that you love the sport and hope to have more classes in not only the TBC next year but in all events in general, but all I get from all the comments is the opposite. Who would want any of the people bitching and moaning at any event in the future. JOHNNYO & FIRKO you say these are not personal attacks on anyone involved & your not doubting the boys committment but that's exactly how your comments came across. Most of the riders have read these comments are are very disappointed. Troy Bayliss himself came and congratulated the boys and was thrilled with the races they rode but I bet if he reads these comments he wouldn't be too thrilled that such a successful outing for the evo riders as he put it has been so negatively discussed by a few.  Having been in the pits when the spectators were allowed in, the comments made and the photo's taken were all extremely positive maybe the whingers should take the old saying on board " IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL" because your opinions are bringing our sport down not showcasing it as you all seem to want to do.
All I can do then is apologize for offending. I thought I raised perfectly good ways of making our sport look better to the unconverted. That's what a demo is all about in my eyes. A form of recruiting to keep our sport alive. When I used the term shitbox I was paraphrasing the unconverted.Not my own words. But I stand by my comment of (imo) the fact there should be 12 well presented bikes and 12 good riders on board for next year to show that these old bikes really are as good as we all think they are. I would also like to apologize to Roy Gay who was in charge. Good on him for taking it on and it's obvious he did a good job. It is expected that you can't get everything right first time, the tyre choice is the perfect example. So next year one would assume that they get the flick for something a lot more user friendly.

Hope you Shitbox Nazi's are at the Post Classic MX Titles to make sure all machinery that attempts to enter meets the required standard.

It is after all a National Title meeting and not just a demonstration event and should showcase our sport. Can't have anyone think you can just rock up and ride on just anything now can we.

And I am really looking forward to seeing all these fast Old Blokes on Evo's at the next CDT Titles. Or are they really only fast on their keyboards?

BTW here's a pic of the shitter I rode at Taree. Better get the wallet out!

FFS

I couldn't be further from a keyboard racer for one, and I'm not too shabby on the limited dirt track I have ridden either.
I would be over the moon to put my money where my mouth is and ride next years TBC with my 'shitbox'  ;D. Great looking bike by the way.
I think my bikes are of a high standard as is yours.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 23, 2014, 12:02:29 am »
I have had at least 50 customer/friends comment on the TBC since the event
Quite a few have mentioned the Vintage both good and bad,
From where were the Sliders?
S#!t they were Fast to wern't they slow.
Most wanted a big Display,
It was my intention to bring a truck full of Twins
But I ran out of time and energy
Next year will be better
Mid Coast Speedweek ???

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 23, 2014, 06:38:52 am »
Cool photo from Zero Tolerance Photography!

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #393 on: January 23, 2014, 06:39:05 am »

[/quote] I couldn't be further from a keyboard racer for one, and I'm not too shabby on the limited dirt track I have ridden either.
I would be over the moon to put my money where my mouth is and ride next years TBC with my 'shitbox'  ;D.
[/quote]

With all due respect Brad, I know what you've done in VMX and also have seen the standard of your bikes.

But how often do you ride (or attend) Dirt Track events? I am not having a go at you. I only ask this because with only 12 spots available I think that it would be pretty unfair to guy's that support Dirt Track throughout the year if one of these spots was withheld from them so you could have a ride. I can tell you that Roy was being inundated with requests to ride from regular dirt track competitors from within his own club and he had to make the call on who was in and who wasn't. I do not envy him.

As I've said previously it is absolutely fantastic that the Evo Class at the TBC has generated so much interest from riders like yourself and John. I only hope that interest will carry over to see you and other all the other fast guy's out there attend the CDT Titles this year.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 23, 2014, 07:21:26 am »
It's great that the classic's got a look in and hopefully they'll be back again next year.
I honestly think the crowd would enjoy Pre65/70's more.
Justin Burdus's Penrith body colours look awesome, he's a good young bloke with Dirttrack in his veins.

Offline davidmc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 24, 2014, 12:02:07 pm »
Sorry to offend, telling it how it was, someones always going to get upset.

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 24, 2014, 03:58:03 pm »
Constructive critisism should always be welcomed david, does anyone know who Geebob is?
I have a fair idea.

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 24, 2014, 10:32:58 pm »
Constructive critisism should always be welcomed david, does anyone know who Geebob is?
I have a fair idea.

I like his style, because, he GETS IT.............We are ALL HASBEENS !!.......even the Over 40's !!..........I raced in THE GOLDEN ERA and yes , it was GREAT, but we were at The Troy Bayliss Classic to represent the EARLY VERSIONS OF CURRENT MODERNS....not to race for TROPHIES !!...........I had SOOOO !! many Old Blokes and Young Blokes come up to me in the pits and really want me to tell them about our bikes.........Having FASTER, YOUNGER riders on similar bikes would not make any difference to the GENERAL PUBLIC............just you whingers......I'm with Shaun...........turn up to the Australian Classic Dirt Track Title this year.....and if you are riding a Pre '75 Unlimited machine, I want to meet you......Gee I love this sport........BRING BACK THE HEAVIES FROM THE 70's........ ;D 8)
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 25, 2014, 12:01:59 pm »
Extensive article with some good photos in the latest AMCN. The TBC has definitely shaped up as one of the top dirtbike events in Australia, hope the momentum keeps happening. I see Troy has raised the idea of a dirt track series too, how good would that be? I reckon a real series, with several rounds and some good money on offer would work.

By the way, a mention of the Evo boys in the AMCN article and it was positive!

Update: Speed TV highlights package on Wed Feb 19 at 7PM.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:11:19 pm by Graeme M »

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 25, 2014, 12:44:00 pm »
Whilst the TBC was an awesome event and has definitely raised the profile of DT in Australia which is great and I hope the support continues but I have no desire to ride a modern! Give me a Pre 75 or evo bike any day. Nothing beats a club day banging bars with fellow enthusiasts! Isn't this what classic dirt track is all about!!??!! I'm not in for the trophies, to make a photo in a magazine or website, everyone I know is in it to ride their old bike which they love!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:47:05 pm by cemotobull »

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 25, 2014, 01:20:09 pm »
Yep, agree entirely in the context of this forum. This thread was about the TBC which is a modern event so most of the discussion is about modern dirt track. Which I think the TBC has been a great shot in the arm for...

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 25, 2014, 02:15:28 pm »
My criticisms of the Evo class were made without my knowledge of the tyre restrictions and the limited time Roy had to raise a decent field. It was never intended to denigrate the efforts put in by the blokes who were out there doing their best to put on a good show. In that respect they did an admirable job. However, I still can't ignore the fact that as a showcase for vintage racing pointed towards a newby audience it left a bit to be desired, mainly because of the variety of bikes presented under the Evo banner. My earlier use of the term 'dogs breakfast' might have been taken out of context but to an outsider looking on for the first time it was difficult to get ones head around the vast variety of bikes on the track. From an outsiders perspective that variety of bikes only confused the virgin viewer as to what an Evo class bike actually was. Ideally I'd have liked to have seen a full field of bikes in similar set up to Adrian's KTM, Shaun's Yamaha or Roy's Maico which would have more visual sense to spectators. I'm sure that with more time and a wider number of bikes and riders to chose from and the dropping of silly tyre restrictions the vintage representation at TBC can only get better.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:22:38 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 25, 2014, 02:43:56 pm »
I wonder... The idea of an exhibition class for older bikes makes sense, but for the average viewer unaware of the finer distinctions of vintage dirtbike racing, wouldn't it be more interesting to see a variety of bikes? The use of the 'Evo' class perhaps makes it easier to include that variety, as under the MoMS Evolution is pretty much any dirtbike without watercooling/disk brakes. Which means we can see an old BSA/Triumph, a 1973 Elsinore, a 1979 Red Rocket or a 1984 CR500.

Surely, that range of old bikes is of more interest to the spectator who probably doesn't know or care whether a 1976 CR250 isn't Pre 75 legal or whether a single shock Husky isn't Pre 85 legal. From their point of view, it's about seeing old bikes out there and this formula ensures that they get to see a great representation of the older machinery.

I remain unconvinced that a field of real Evo bikes would have more impact than what the current arrangement permits. And given that I really doubt this display will convert a pile of spectators into serious vintage competitors, why worry about it's purity? I see it as an opportunity to intrigue, excite and impress the people who will enjoy seeing the old bikes out there.

Like I said before, short of heavily modified 500cc two strokes ridden by seriously fast young guns, the class is NOT going to impress anyone who couldn't care less about old bikes. It's not necessarily about how fast they go, it's about capturing the interest of people to whom the old bikes have some memorable attraction.

Trying to make a 1984 dirtbike go as fast as a modern is pointless, who the Hell cares? I'd rather watch a field of fast 450s than a bunch of old dinosaurs. But I *would* like to see a field of various vintage bikes from across the spectrum out there showing off the sight and sounds of yesteryear...

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 25, 2014, 03:00:08 pm »
I think if Classic bikes are gunna be involved in the TBC meeting then it's important that the field is made up of top quality bikes with decent riders on board or it won't be a showcase at all, this isn't an event for guy's who are interested in just rolling around towards the back of the field, all due respect to them.
It sounds like there are a few guy's who are seriuos riders with quality bikes who would love the opportunity to ride this event without there being a perceived old mates network in control.
I don't think it should be the same class every year and that it should be a different era of classics every year that gives everyone a chance.
Not a critisim just a personal suggestion.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 25, 2014, 03:13:33 pm »
some dirt track riders I think should be there
curt close
graham Roberts
peter lee
dave grass and his son
ray stephens(gdrs son in law)
roy gay
shawn (#19)
brett chipperfield
mick gee
the 2 young guys from Canberra on bullys
you might just get a field on 250s and open class bikes
just to name a few from nsw and I am sure there are just as good riders as the ones I have listed I have left out and in other states I don't know