Author Topic: Troy Bayliss Classic 2013 and 2014  (Read 112746 times)

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Troy Bayliss Classic 2013 and 2014
« Reply #360 on: January 21, 2014, 10:13:07 pm »
I'd like to see a Post Classic class running WW slicks, bring a few pre 90 500's out to entertain the crowd.
83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 21, 2014, 10:23:17 pm »
No not at all. I've seen plenty of MX bikes doing short circuit. Doesnt interest me. I'd rather watch paint dry.
You got no idea Ted how good, close and fast the racing was not to mention all the stars from different facets of the sport all on the track at once. I too have seen plenty of Mx bikes on dirt track but this one is something special!

Granted. This particular meet sounds good. Is Herfoss the guy that rode super moto. If so I've seen him race it. He is unbelievable.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 21, 2014, 10:32:04 pm »
Man the way some of those modern guys pitched in and slid those dirty mxers was a wonder to behold. And man was it a fast pace.
My opinion on the 'evo exhibition' is that if it is an exhibition it is therefore a showcase of the sport. The bikes need to be as trick and clean as shit for the wow factor and to try and shake off the old shit box stigma that is associated with our sport(s). Adrians' KTM495 was on the money. Well presented bike and loud proud and gay riding gear  ;D.
Who's the chap that went to the U.S. and came second in their championship? I think he rides a big horsepower Triumph. Wheres a cowboy hat. Between his bike and his skill on a bike he should have been the first guy to get the call up. Showcase the best bikes and the fastest riders. Now that is a spectacle.
And throw those tyres in the bin.

Offline davidmc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 21, 2014, 10:36:33 pm »
It seems there are a lot of comments from people who did not witness the racing, which overall was great, unfortunatley the evo class was not a positive showing, (in my opinion), mostly down to the tyres, without talking to anyone you could see the boys could not get off vertical, and there are also a lot of fast guys who would have liked to race there.
It was the 1st run for evos, lets hope we get another invite!

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 21, 2014, 10:48:12 pm »
Yes Ted that is the same Herfoss, I worked and rode with him when he was on Husky, he is unbelievable..

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 21, 2014, 11:20:51 pm »
Who's the chap that went to the U.S

Agree ,was a bit surprised not to see his name in the riders list.

31 pages = talented rider  8)
http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=17576.0
Best is in the West !!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 22, 2014, 06:30:51 am »
I'm still a bit nonplussed about the suggestions that the Evos were too slow/not impressive etc.  But there is no way a 'classic' class will compare favourably without decent wheels/tyres and gun riders on board.

Note too that I hesitate to suggest that there weren't gun riders there as several of the names I recognise are pointy end at any vmx meeting. But you aren't going to get Evo bikes looking like the moderns without better running gear and top level riders.

I don't get it - roll up with a field of CR/KX/YZ500s with fat tyres and disk brakes and fast guys on board and yep, they'll be fast. So what? Is the point of it really to prove that old bikes can go as fast as new bikes?

From the sounds of it, there was an interesting mix of old bikes getting around there which is what an 'exhibition' class is all about. Shouldn't we be happy with that?

And as an aside, I'd like to see the TBC run on a deco track next time. Especially a fast one. Just for something different. And I betcha the Evos would look better then...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:33:07 am by Graeme M »

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #367 on: January 22, 2014, 07:20:30 am »
Hope you Shitbox Nazi's are at the Post Classic MX Titles to make sure all machinery that attempts to enter meets the required standard.

It is after all a National Title meeting and not just a demonstration event and should showcase our sport. Can't have anyone think you can just rock up and ride on just anything now can we.

And I am really looking forward to seeing all these fast Old Blokes on Evo's at the next CDT Titles. Or are they really only fast on their keyboards?

BTW here's a pic of the shitter I rode at Taree. Better get the wallet out!

FFS

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 22, 2014, 07:23:48 am »
I guess most know my opinion on the tyre issue, I cannot see the problem with the Pre 85s and Evos running the same tyres and fuel now as they did when they were the moderns, makes sense to me !!.
Foss

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 22, 2014, 07:33:57 am »
Foss at this "Demonstration Event" the decision was made that there was a need to keep it close. As has been said previously the idea was to try and have 4 different winners, we ended up with 3. To keep it close it was decided that we should all be on the same tyre and a deal was sought. The only taker was Shinko.

The Evo Class was never meant to be a show of the fastest riders setting the place on fire. There were plenty of classes that did that job. It was supposed to display a variety of old bikes with Over 40's on board putting on some close racing. Judging by the reaction from some of the crowd as we returned to the pits after each race I think that was largely achieved.

I'll say it again. If these fast evo, or any other class for that matter, riders want to show us what they have got then I look forward to seeing them at the CDT Titles wherever they may be held this year. I can tell you that I will be there with bells on  ;D

Cheers
Shaun

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 22, 2014, 07:45:56 am »
Shaun, I was in no way being critical of the Classic lads showing at the TBC, more power to them I say, good stuff, I was merely commenting on the issue as a whole, hard oil/ loose oil/ tyres ???, which is also being strongly debated elsewhere, 'nuff said for me !!
Foss

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 22, 2014, 07:48:18 am »
No worries Foss I knew what you were saying.
Cheers
Shaun

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 22, 2014, 08:41:34 am »
Sorelegs I'm not an armchair critic I'm out there racing all the time, vintage and modern. I'll bet I've done more racing over the last 10 years than you have so pull your head in! And I'll happily race those guys, I've raced Roy many times in MX and am more than capable at Dirt Track.
Step outside the little circle you live in and come to Qld if you want to see some trick bikes and good riders that you'd have never heard of.
Let the bikes run with some better tyres or even allow an 18" front, it costs begger all to lace up an 18 front and use K180's front and rear.

I am only defending the blokes that went out there and did their best on the day with what the had tyre wise.
Hell I could not believe how slow they looked but it was what it was and having done some laps at the practice day I could understand what they were up  against.
You can bet your bum that you have raced more than I have as I started about 3 years ago so if you ride the comment was not aimed at you..
I just really struggle with the negetivity towards what is supposed to be a recreational sport.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline hagon_84

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 22, 2014, 09:37:49 am »
3. To keep it close it was decided that we should all be on the same tyre and a deal was sought. The only taker was Shinko.

pirelli bein a major contributor to the event you would of thought they could of supllied tyres for the evo class! I mean for what it would of cost them it coulda made it a better class to not just for spectators but for rider safety to cause them shinkos are f@#king awful, Like purple dave stated already i run mitas 2 ply on my yz400 and they are pretty decent for oil without goin to the next level of tyre in the form of 19's all round.

Al.
1977 Hagon rm250b, 1977 yz400d, 1972 gauzonni rm125, 1969 greeves griffon 250, 1973 greeves griffon qub 380, hagon eso 500.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 22, 2014, 10:01:35 am »
Hope you Shitbox Nazi's are at the Post Classic MX Titles to make sure all machinery that attempts to enter meets the required standard
I don't think anyone made a conscious effort to call the Evo class bikes at TBC shitboxes Shaun, the quality of some of the bikes was pretty damn good, especially yours and Goolies. My 'dogs breakfast' quote was in reference to the mixture of classes presented under the Evo banner. As a true vintage enthusiast I'd have preferred to see a whole field of bikes like yours and Adrians or perhaps a field of pre 75 .....whatever, as long as they were the same 'style' of bike. As a showcase for our side of the sport it presented as confusing to the non vintage aware that made up the majority on the mound. Long travel, short travel, framer flat tracker, 2 stroke, four stroke, pre 75 (Dave) were all thrown in under the loose Evo category. If it looked untidy to me and my vintage aware mates, it looked confusing to the non vintage punters. I found myself trying to explain the bikes to my neighbour in turn one but couldn't really work it out myself. This and others comments shouldn't be taken as criticisms of Roy, you or anyone involved personally, you blokes did your best with what you had but to be honest it wasn't vintage dirt tracks best showcase.
guess most know my opinion on the tyre issue, I cannot see the problem with the Pre 85s and Evos running the same tyres and fuel now as they did when they were the moderns, makes sense to me !!.
I wasn't aware of the tyre rule....What's the score with tyres? Why couldn't you use 2 ply trials or flat track tyres?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha