Author Topic: Troy Bayliss Classic 2013 and 2014  (Read 112758 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Troy Bayliss Classic 2013 and 2014
« Reply #375 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:09 am »
It's all good boys, my original post was never a personal attack on anyone or their bikes but just general comments on how we as racers saw it as spectators.
I also think the tyre choice should be changed as I know how hard those bikes can be ridden with the right setup..

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 22, 2014, 11:17:10 am »
Wish someone remanufactured the old Carlyle claw pattern in various compounds and sizes. What about allowing the modern 19" s pattern tyres, as close as you can get to the Carlyle with better compound choices than an enduro or trials tyre and speed rated. Look just like a K180 but heaps better performance.
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 22, 2014, 11:31:24 am »
Wish someone remanufactured the old Carlyle claw pattern in various compounds and sizes. What about allowing the modern 19" s pattern tyres, as close as you can get to the Carlyle with better compound choices than an enduro or trials tyre and speed rated. Look just like a K180 but heaps better performance.
Karl Muggeridge was using a 19" dirt track tyre that looked just like one of those Carlyle's. Bayliss and Crumpy also tested them so they're around.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #378 on: January 22, 2014, 11:39:58 am »
 [/quote]
I wasn't aware of the tyre rule....What's the score with tyres? Why couldn't you use 2 ply trials or flat track tyres?
[/quote]

Firko we were on a control tyre in an attempt to stop people running 17's etc and blowing guy's who don't have the set up into the weeds. The whole idea was to present close racing and no one was ever under the impression we were going to threaten the lap record. Shinko was the only deal available.

Just so you know of the commitment we made. We each are now the proud owners of 2 sets of these tyres that we had to pay for to run at the TBC. It is a bit disappointing to be now told that we were boring to watch and that so an so from such and such is a gun and would have come out and blown us all away especially when none of the 12 riders that were there were taking it that seriously anyway.

As far as the variation of bikes in the class. At first Roy did invite 12 EVO riders but due to a lot of reasons a number of them had to pull out. Some at the last moment. So others were invited in.

When you really look at it, finding Dirt Trackers that are 40 year old plus and are prepared to spend around $400 for tyres and entry fee as well as travel and 2 nights accommodation costs all for 4 demonstration races, is not really that easy.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 22, 2014, 12:09:56 pm »
Fair enough Shaun, I was just reflecting the Evo show as a spectacle.....I'm in no way doubting your or any of the boys commitments to the event. As far as using control tyres to prevent racers using 17's, maybe I'm a bit daft but wouldn't putting  "no 17" wheels" in the sup regs be a simpler, cheaper and more sensible way to go? I take it that you guys used the same tyre restrictions as used at Temora so why couldn't you use Michelin Vee Rubber or Mitas 2 ply trials tyres? None of this tyre shit makes a bit of sense to me.

Wish someone remanufactured the old Carlyle claw pattern in various compounds and sizes

Are these the type of "claw pattern" tyre tread pattern you speak of Steve? A number of different companies make them, Golden ,Feichi, Kenda, CST, Diamond, Great Runner...all apparently from the same Chinese factory. There are apparently even more with a slightly different thread.

I'm about to order a pair of these 140/80X19 and 130/80X19 Mitas flat track tyres for my 750. I tried to get Maxxis but they're hard to get in 19" at the moment in the USA let alone here in Oz. Col Moody on here handles the Mitas . I've bought a few trials 2 ply's off him over the last couple of years and he's great to deal with. The Mitas are a fair bit cheaper than the Maxxis too.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:11:30 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 22, 2014, 12:38:26 pm »
Sort of similar to those.
Bultaco M106 Astro

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 22, 2014, 01:45:00 pm »
As far as using control tyres to prevent racers using 17's, maybe I'm a bit daft but wouldn't putting  "no 17" wheels" in the sup regs be a simpler, cheaper and more sensible way to go?

That's the one Firko, far more sensible.
Foss

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 22, 2014, 02:09:55 pm »
Sort of similar to those
Here's some from my tyre stash, is this the Carlisle you mean Steve?....top 350x19 Pirelli MT53, Middle, 350x19 Carlisle front and bottom 400x19 Carlisle rear. I used the Carlisle 350 front for 20 years mounted on my Maico 350 and it's still quite supple believe it or not, as is the Pirelli front which was on my Cycle Factory flat tracker when I got it.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:18:38 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 22, 2014, 04:05:04 pm »
That'd be them Firko.
When I attempted my first comeback in 1980 on an A5 KX250 I used a 18" K70 on the rear and a 19" on the front, that set up was great around the old oiled Nepean which was pretty much the same as Taree is today.
All the super quick guy's were using the Carlisles in the same sizes.
I've still got the 19" front of the A5.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 22, 2014, 04:30:06 pm »
Memory is vague but I recall using an 18" roadracing wet rear and a 19" Carlisle front of similar pattern to the modern Maxxis in around 1984/85 - this was on Action Park which is oiled dirt. Seemed to work well as I recall.

Just out of curiosity, what were those fast 65s running at the TBC?

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 22, 2014, 04:41:17 pm »
the 65's use scooter tyres, some cut.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 22, 2014, 05:56:44 pm »
Sort of similar to those
Here's some from my tyre stash, is this the Carlisle you mean Steve?....top 350x19 Pirelli MT53, Middle, 350x19 Carlisle front and bottom 400x19 Carlisle rear. I used the Carlisle 350 front for 20 years mounted on my Maico 350 and it's still quite supple believe it or not, as is the Pirelli front which was on my Cycle Factory flat tracker when I got it.

That's them the bottom two.
Bultaco M106 Astro

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 22, 2014, 07:09:09 pm »
Fair enough Shaun, I was just reflecting the Evo show as a spectacle.....I'm in no way doubting your or any of the boys commitments to the event. As far as using control tyres to prevent racers using 17's, maybe I'm a bit daft but wouldn't putting  "no 17" wheels" in the sup regs be a simpler, cheaper and more sensible way to go? I take it that you guys used the same tyre restrictions as used at Temora so why couldn't you use Michelin Vee Rubber or Mitas 2 ply trials tyres? None of this tyre shit makes a bit of sense to me.

Wish someone remanufactured the old Carlyle claw pattern in various compounds and sizes

Are these the type of "claw pattern" tyre tread pattern you speak of Steve? A number of different companies make them, Golden ,Feichi, Kenda, CST, Diamond, Great Runner...all apparently from the same Chinese factory. There are apparently even more with a slightly different thread.

I'm about to order a pair of these 140/80X19 and 130/80X19 Mitas flat track tyres for my 750. I tried to get Maxxis but they're hard to get in 19" at the moment in the USA let alone here in Oz. Col Moody on here handles the Mitas . I've bought a few trials 2 ply's off him over the last couple of years and he's great to deal with. The Mitas are a fair bit cheaper than the Maxxis too.

I have Mitas ! Maxxis and Dunlop 19"s in stock.

Offline geebob

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 22, 2014, 09:22:28 pm »
Well, I have just read from page 20 through to 26 and find the posts some have made to be in very poor form. Just to highlight a few JOHNNYO "Quality of bikes pretty ordinary" " international race not a club day" " better quality field"    FIRKO  " dog breakfast of classes, presentation and riders ability"  DAVIDMC "alot of fast guys who would have liked to race" GRAEMEM " hire some young guns" 090  "showcase the best bikes and fastest riders" "shake off the old shit box stigma that is associated with our sport".  You all say that you love the sport and hope to have more classes in not only the TBC next year but in all events in general, but all I get from all the comments is the opposite. Who would want any of the people bitching and moaning at any event in the future. JOHNNYO & FIRKO you say these are not personal attacks on anyone involved & your not doubting the boys committment but that's exactly how your comments came across. Most of the riders have read these comments are are very disappointed. Troy Bayliss himself came and congratulated the boys and was thrilled with the races they rode but I bet if he reads these comments he wouldn't be too thrilled that such a successful outing for the evo riders as he put it has been so negatively discussed by a few.  Having been in the pits when the spectators were allowed in, the comments made and the photo's taken were all extremely positive maybe the whingers should take the old saying on board " IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL" because your opinions are bringing our sport down not showcasing it as you all seem to want to do.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 22, 2014, 10:29:12 pm »
Geebob whoever you are we were just commenting on how we saw it. Most of us that commented race Evo bikes so we know the bikes but it now seems from what ive read that the tyres were the main culprit. Like I said it wasn't meant to be a personal attack as I know some of the guys, but more constructive criticism because it really didn't show what the bikes are capable of..
Anyway you can either get the shits and ignore us or think about changes to make the bikes perform like they should, someone already said they rode a 250 cos you couldn't get any traction on a big bore..
Either way it's not worth butting heads over it any longer.