Author Topic: HL500 ID  (Read 18260 times)

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: HL500 ID
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 07:56:36 pm »
Wonder how Sten Lundin and Torsten Hallman would feel about all these jacked up wonders  ???

Can only imagine they would feel like Leonardo De Vinci would feel about these

When a line up of HLs was put together in France, Sten seem rather happy to see them all lines up (high and mighty)  Have a pick of him signing my tank and he seems quite happto to put his name on it.

He rode on in the Beauval Enduro a year or two later on a high HL and smiled all day long, so I dont think he was that dissapointed.

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 08:00:56 pm »
Not cheap .                                          

FOR SALE
Ad # 3205964 November 27, 2012

Brand New - Hallman / Pro Fab - Banana style Aluminum Swing Arm - fits the Yamaha TT500 & XT500 's - has bronze bushing already installed & and ready to go !!!

Profab built swingarms for Hallman / White Brothers / & I believe D&G - and of course sold them under there own name ( Pro Fab ) The Straight Arms were much more comman - The Banana arms were more Rare.

Please conside - this Arm is Absolutley Brand New - its NOT 35 years Old - It hasent been thought 100's or 1000's of MX Battles - It Doesnt have Metal Fatige - Its hasent had the drive chain trying to saw though it for decades.

Its Brand New !!!

I can & will ship over sea's.

$750.
520-270-8188
     Mark Palermo
Tucson, AZ, US of A
Phone: 520-270-8188 | Email
Registered Since 1/22/2009 | 1201 Posts  

Has anyone ever noticed that this bloke has advertised the same stuff on Marks Swapmeet every week for literally months and never seems to sell anything? He's had the same swingarms, old Jap 4t engines and bikes for months. The late Bob Neilson warned me to never deal with him, I wonder why he bothers?

Not cheap?  $750 is about £500.  That is a piece of art and requires emmense effort, skill and craft to make.  Ok, so £500 is £500 and yes that is alot of money, but I dont think it is bad value.   (ok so you are saying, it isnt cheap and I am agreeing with you, $100 would be cheap! but $750 is probably fair)

Dont know the seller, so cant comment.  Maybe he has a stack of them and a truck load of motors and he is selling them and is just relisting the advert.

I hope people dont think that about my ebay adverts.  I always relist and just have multiple items that do sell, and hopefully off ebay as well as I would rather not pay their fees if I dont have to!

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 08:05:47 pm »
And on the subject of jackd up HLs, I have some new in the box 81 490 Maico shocks that according to the Falcon website are only mm different in length difference. 

I took recently took my 490 spec Ohlins off my HL and sold them and will replace them with a new set.  If anyone else would like a set PM me.  (I know the postage prices to Oz as well, can let you know and if required, get them straight off into the post)

Ohlins even list a spec for the HL (if you look you can find it....)

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 08:06:19 pm »
I think the main thing here is reputation, not repeted listings, and you Ben has a good one.

Back to the engineplates ::)
On my Huskyframed replica, the frame is also close to the engine, and the ProFab is based on a modded Huskyframe isn't it?

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 09:57:41 pm »
I think they would be pretty close, with the Maico having quite a bit more laid down shocks, and the HL beeing quite a bit heavyer bike.

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 10:11:29 pm »
And on the subject of jackd up HLs, I have some new in the box 81 490 Maico shocks that according to the Falcon website are only mm different in length difference. 

I took recently took my 490 spec Ohlins off my HL and sold them and will replace them with a new set.  If anyone else would like a set PM me.  (I know the postage prices to Oz as well, can let you know and if required, get them straight off into the post)

Ohlins even list a spec for the HL (if you look you can find it....)

Unfortunately Maico shocks and HL are totally different in damping and springrate . They may have a similar lenght  ;)  By the time you buy new springs and get them revalved they could cost a fair bit more . Our equivalent to the ones you are talking about ,cost incl GST ,in Australia $799  or less when the X mas sale is on .

Agreed.  The guts of the shock is also rather important!

It is difficult to build the optimum set of shocks for an HL as they are all so different.  People wanting different lengths, running different frames (as per this thread, Profab, NVT modified Husky etc etc) different swinging arms etc etc etc etc.  What is a standard specification for an HL?!

The 490 shock is pretty damn good in it’s standard form so is a good universal shock for most people and most applications.

Tuning the shock for optimum length, damping spring rates etc is the way to go if you are lucky enough to be able to get this kind of help.  Oz is lucky to have this kind of service.

In the UK there are a number of excellent suspension service centres that can help you set the bike up exactly to your requirements (at a price of course) and you are right that to do that work will cost big bucks, so try and get it right out of the box is the way to go.

For instance I bought 4 Ohlins springs the other day and they were £50 each plus tax ~ even the short ones cost that much, same price as the long ones which I cant understand, so £200+ for a set of shock springs ~that hurt.  Even more so when my mate said he didn’t them need them....and sent them back!!

For most riders an out of the box set of shock will be fine.  Start with a quality set of shocks at the beginning then you are off to a winner.  If you are GP star and need optimum shocks then that service is available.  Better still If you can have a custom built set of shocks then so much the better! 

The VMX world is very lucky to have so many options!

Let's get back to the subject ~ HL Yamahas.  Mmm nice!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 10:59:01 pm »
If anyone else would like a set PM me.  (I know the postage prices to Oz as well, can let you know and if required, get them straight off into the post)
I think AJ might be wanting a set Ben. You could throw them in my box. He or I will let you know tomorrow.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 11:18:37 pm »
Stefan Everts, Team Belgium , Geoff Ballards  etc  like the shocks we make . Are things that bad in england that you have to canvass in australia ?

No not at all.  England is a bit soggy at the moment after all the rain, but other than that all is well. 

Ohlins is a global brand and the world is a very small place these days.  Anything can be sent in a box anywhere including Australia.

Riders should have a choice and there is plenty out there. 

YSS, are fantastic quality and very well priced.  Having them custom built only adds to the attractiveness of the product.  Having a good agent to help them at the meetings only strengthens the case.  They are more competitively priced than Ohlins, so you have nothing to fear.

Whenever someone is talking of suspension and wants something, why wouldn’t I offer ~ you do all the time and that is fine.

I am always very complimentary to all manufacturers and all providers ~ there is room for everyone.

Riders should be allowed to choose and they can and do; YSS, Works Performance, WP, Eibach and Ohlins of course, plus of course countless others.

(By the way I also have been stupid enough to commission a batch Ohlins for Red Rockets 78-80.  So if anyone wants some, let me know, my wife wants them out of the front room!  (yes, now that is a pitch!)

Lets get back to the bikes.

Offline Hotdog

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 01:20:43 am »
Does anyone know a source for the sidepanels like on bike in post #33
 thanks

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 01:33:15 am »
I made them from sheet aluminium, and rolled up an edge around the oval with a bead roller.

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 03:33:19 am »
I have a brand new (never fitted) OEM set of genuine side panels that wasused to make a mould.  Fibreglass replicas can now be made. 

The original parts came from the auction when they finally shut the place down.  There were quite a few of them and also a brand new bike that I think was sold for £3000!  (about 15 years ago which was a bargain then in my book)

I have one pair of yellow (US spec) side panels and one pair in gloss white.  I think they are £80 a pair.  (but can check if you do want a pair)

As Ola said, his are have handmade and are a magnificent variation on a theme.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 06:47:04 pm »
Mine are the opaque plastic similar to DC
I would like to buy at least 3 more sets

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 09:17:21 pm »
Stefan Everts, Team Belgium , Geoff Ballards  etc  like the shocks we make . Are things that bad in england that you have to canvass in australia ?

Didn't know that Stefan Everts, Team Belgium were based in Australia ??? ???

nightcruiser

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 07:17:52 am »
Guess the easiest way is to see if the bike as frame number.
I have genuine 1979 NVT HL500, which was bought direct from factory with documentation.
The first batch of 200 worn TT500 frame numbers which matched the engine, the second batch of only 165 bike had very unique & different number.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28:57 am »

Actually, i had a quick chat to Ballard, he likes his rear shocks! Wonder if he likes the WP product on his latest bike...... Havent had a chance to speak to Everts yet but i reckon he'd have ditched them already if he didnt like them.

Kt