Author Topic: White Brothers DR400T  (Read 66749 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: DR400T Supertrapp
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 07:14:44 am »
Hi All,
Thanks for the tips on the camshaft plug will try and insert at weekend and crank her over. Also wondering if there is anywhere you can get an affordable supertrapp muffler, similar to the one in the Clymer manual, locally in NZ. Seems they are available from states for a hefty price. Ive got a pro circuit type 496 that i could fit but might look ridiculous as its a bit longer than the black supertrapp i was after.

Never been in love with Supertrap, the exhaust tends to BBQ your rear guard and they are usually hell loud.
formerly Marc.com

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
Re: White Brothers DR400T
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 10:38:45 am »
I used a Supertrapp on my bike with the hotted up 400cc SP370 motor and as marcFX said it was loud, melted the rear guard, and fell apart due to vibration three times despite reinforcing various failed bits. It probably would have lasted longer with mild use, but it used to get extended flat-out top gear operation during high speed gravel road riding.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 11:28:57 am »
i call them fall apart traps,they always break the u bolt off then everything goes missing,exhaust springs from the main body to the end cap doesnt work either coz of the hi heat that makes the springs loose tension. ive found a inch bigger inlet/outlet car hot dog the go with sleeving up and down on both ends with a pointed end drilled out baffle the same size as the unsleeved inlet pipe the way to go back in the day and with factory rubber mountings [tt500] they go forever ; ;) ;D

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 11:41:19 am »
Hi All,
Thanks for the tips on the camshaft plug will try and insert at weekend and crank her over. Also wondering if there is anywhere you can get an affordable supertrapp muffler, similar to the one in the Clymer manual, locally in NZ. Seems they are available from states for a hefty price. Ive got a pro circuit type 496 that i could fit but might look ridiculous as its a bit longer than the black supertrapp i was after.

Never been in love with Supertrap, the exhaust tends to BBQ your rear guard and they are usually hell loud.

I don't know why you are stressing mate,given you will never ride it.......

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 01:22:13 pm »
I don't know why you are stressing mate,given you will never ride it.......

be afraid, be very afraid

formerly Marc.com

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 01:37:29 pm »
Talk is cheap Marcdotcom...... :P

Offline aehunger

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2012, 06:08:11 pm »
Got it...could do better than Supertrapp muffler for DR400. Cheers for the heads up will save that cash for more appropriate parts.

The carb I brought my bike with had jet broken off inside and beyond repairs so ive found another the same only slightly larger. Its a Mikuni 36mm with the exact same body as the carb with broken jet which I believe was the stock carb. Does anyone know what the jetting requirements would be for this 36mm carb? Ive just swapped all the old carb internals to the 36mm carb at present.

Kind Regards
Alex

oldfart

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2012, 06:54:08 pm »
If it's a 36mm cam operated carb ( VM ) ..... float levevl shoud be around 25mm ( top of float to top float bowl
Pilot  air   2 turns out  ... I run around 1 & 3/4   
main   # 135  Std   ...... way too small   
Pilot    # 15    Std

I have posted on here some place of me building a Pipe for the Dr 400 and a muffler. .
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:29:34 pm by oldfart »

oldfart

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 07:33:45 pm »

Offline aehunger

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2012, 05:10:30 pm »
Thanks for the pointers...the camshaft plug is all sorted and I trashed the 400 for an hour today and no leaks. The carb is definitely a VM type with the cam and I think something is wrong with the choke as I have to prime the bike with a squirt of fuel into the airbox is anyone familiar with this style of carb and what remedies a bloke could try to get the choke sorted?

Kind Regards
Alex

oldfart

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2012, 05:33:43 pm »
I'm Running the same carb .... make sure the air passage is clear - top hole at rear of carb. Blow some air down all of the holes to make sure they are flow freely .
Have you drilled 3  holes in your air box  25mm in dia on the LHS .....

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2012, 05:39:19 pm »
If it's a 36mm cam operated carb ( VM ) ..... float levevl shoud be around 25mm ( top of float to top float bowl
Pilot  air   2 turns out  ... I run around 1 & 3/4   
main   # 135  Std   ...... way too small   
Pilot    # 15    Std

I have posted on here some place of me building a Pipe for the Dr 400 and a muffler. .

Ummm,
Are you going to move the oil filler cap ?

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2012, 05:58:00 pm »
as stew said drill some holes in the air box to get it to breath. When i built the dr in VMX mag i fluked the pipe and muffler kit on evil bay for about $60 US they had 2 of them and only 2 people put a  bid on them
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:02:43 pm by bazza »
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline aehunger

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2012, 06:13:34 pm »
Hi Racers,
Not running the bike with air filter or airbox top at all presently so dont believe air would be the problem. Its fuel and i suspect a fault with the assembly that the choke lever operates.Ive got the carb i fitted prior to the 36mm so might swap out this assembly as a trial. Do you jokers know how this choke style set up works im only familar with the butterfly valve type.
Kind Regards
Alex

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »
 If you've got the oval bore carb it should be 33 for the 400 and 32 for the 370. The carb bodies are different sizes so it's not just a matter of a bigger throat.
  I think the USA DR500 had a similar carb of about 35mm. The 33 has a single taper needle which I never got to work with a modded airbox; so I use the 32 which has a 370 specific twin taper needle exclusive to that model and not available as an aftermarket part; and no longer available from Suzuki either.
 Whatever, you may have to change the idle jet, needle position and main jet to compensate for no airbox.
 If you have a round venturi I'm pretty sure it's not a standard carb