Author Topic: New KX420 - sweet as !  (Read 12299 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: New KX420 - sweet as !
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 10:45:54 am »
I know in the day in Australia you had to run those ridiculous big arsed things but in all the years i have folled VMX in Aussie i cant remember to many people reviving that particular piece of Aussie MX history 
AUSSIE VMX HISTORY 101: The square number plate rule was still in force when we approached MNSW for the Sup Regs for the first VMX meet at Amaroo Park in 1988. When the eligibility rules were submitted I'd included the allowance for oval number plates and after some serious opposition from Wendy Corrigan and others within the heirachy, they finally agreed to allow oval plates for classic motocross only. It was a victory for the little guys over stupidity.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:15:54 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Rodpack

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 11:20:43 am »
This bike looks the same as a NOS KX420 that was on UK ebay in 2004, right down to the different colour plastics. It may be the same bike 'cause it sold in the original auction. I saved the pictures from the 2004 listing because I was thinking about buying it at the time. It was a lot cheaper then the current asking price. About KX plastics being different shades, I've got several NOS frontplates and they held their original colour. Airbox covers for some reason do discolour but usually only because of airfilter oil. The left hand numberplate is the part that always seems to be a slightly different green. I've picked up 3 NOS ones of those and all have been a different shade to the other plastics.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 12:03:26 pm »
When the eligibility rules were submitted I'd included the allowance for oval number plates and after some serious opposition from Wendy Corrigan and others within the heirachy, they finally agreed to allow oval plates for classic motocross only. It was a victory for the little guys.

Were you also allowed to wear Nylon riding pants, I heard they were dangerous ::)

Anyways back to the 420, kind of like them, I think watching the Trevor Williams on the SR back in the day gave me a case of the I want its.
formerly Marc.com

mainline

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 01:01:06 pm »
I reckon it's legit, just because it spent 20+ yrs in a box doesn't mean it should look brand new when it's opened. I doubt it was stored in a humidity-controlled environment.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 02:28:18 pm »
1980 KX250

1981 KX250

Looking at these original brochures shows the KX in question has a '80 model front plate fitted which kind of backs my theory that the 2 dicoloured plastics have been fitted at a later date to replace the originals that were taken or damaged from new.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 03:23:50 pm »
The sickly green plastics must have been from a bad batch in 80/81.
Haven’t noticed it on other years but it was common to certain parts.
Air filter oil wouldn’t change anything.
I imagine they had several plastic injection moulding machines, maybe a large one for front and rear guards and a smaller one for side plates. Whatever, there must have been one dodgy operator that must have put the mix in wrong.
It’s not a sunlight fading thing, sunlight fading turns parts white and only the part exposed.
These plastics lose the original green with age and they turn into Montesa vomit green.

The swapping of parts makes sense too.
I knew a guy in 85 that bought 2 new KX 250’s, one to race and the other was just a parts bike to snaffle bits from and replace later.
He intended the second bike to be his fresh race bike half way through the year.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 09:07:25 pm »
Further to the discussion just looking at my parts book which is for an A7 KX 125 not A6 as I earlier stated but printed Aug. 22 1980, the accessories page lists

Part# 58029-1008-21 PLATE-NUMBER, F. BLACK (ROUND PLATE) SPEC CODE AL, UK
AL= All Market, UK= United Kingdom

Part# 58029A-1009-6W PLATE-NUMBER, L. GREEN (SQUARE PLATE) SPEC CODE CN, US
CN= Canada, US= United States

So therefore the square plate is US and Canada only but a round plate can also be used. I guess the quality control level in those days varied from day to day :)
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 10:17:36 pm »
i had a close look at this bike when i was at farleigh castle
it does look unused and i would say plastics were replaced because of damaged ones
and the bike has sat around for a while wouldnt take much to make it mint ;)
follow me to first turn