Author Topic: New KX420 - sweet as !  (Read 12298 times)

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: New KX420 - sweet as !
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 05:44:56 pm »
The KX420 had a rectangular front plate with vents at the bottom. Assembly from the original crate only required the fitting of the handlebars/controls and wheels. Surely if only 3 years ago the 'original' owner would have some photographic proof.

TM BILL

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 07:02:08 pm »
The KX420 had a rectangular front plate with vents at the bottom. Assembly from the original crate only required the fitting of the handlebars/controls and wheels. Surely if only 3 years ago the 'original' owner would have some photographic proof.

Doc your dead right  ;D its a fraud mister

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 07:42:12 pm »
That is not a Smets Berg, just a production bike,
K

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »

Doc your dead right  ;D its a fraud mister

You sure about the plate??
All I could find on the web were oval plates

Your right about photo's though, if he dragged it out of a crate after all those years you'd reckon he would have taken some photo's first.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 08:18:17 pm »
I am pretty sure the 80 model had a round plate and the 81 had the rectangle plate

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:08 pm »
K
+1

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 10:34:20 pm »
K
So...with the misrepresented Husaberg added to the dodgy "new" KX420 it looks as if Arizona Mike may have opened a branch in Derbyshire, UK. ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 11:11:47 pm »

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 11:36:08 pm »
The KX420 is nice but the sellers other bike is waaaay more interesting. Joel Smets 1997 title winning Husaberg.
                                     http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Husaberg-Factory-Husaburg-1997-World-Championship-winning-Joel-Smets-Factory-Husaburg-FC600-3-speed-/261124639669?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3ccc3dcbb5#v4-36       

Advises its a 1997 Berg when it's a 1999 model. Look close and you'll see it has PDS rear suspension. 1997 & 1998 has rising rate linkage rear ends. In 1997 Smetts used USD 40mm WP's or gold nitrated 50mm WP extremes. In 1997 (for the most part) Joel's bikes had yellow frames.

So what is the bike for sale?
It appears to be a 1999 FC Smets replica special edition. Husaberg built them to commentate the 1998 world championship. I have one myself and all the items described were standard on that model, ie;
3 speed gear box
51mm factory conventiional front forks (actually 50mm but measured 50.9mm)
factory white power rear shock (standard)
factory wheels (nothing factory about those wheels)
SPES exhaust (strait out of the accessory catalogue)
billet cams (they weren't billet, but were a special grind)
etc etc (other than the chain guide, can't see anything else modified)
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

maico police

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 07:32:41 am »

Is that a Euro or American ad.(I realize this bike is in the UK). I'm sure ours had oval front plates.
Stan S should know. He sold 'em.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:34:27 am by Mont »

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 07:48:22 am »
I am pretty sure the 80 model had a round plate and the 81 had the rectangle plate

Just looking through my KX 125 A6 parts manual it lists oval and rectangular number plate for 1980. I'm guessing same rule applies for the 250 and 420. Depending on the market to which the bike is released would dictate which optioned plate would go on the bike.
   I agree with all your comments regarding how the bike has or has not held up over the years and for the asking price I wouldn't want faded plastics or paint missing off the frame. Funny stuff with those plastics. I've got Nos sidecovers that are still green as the day they were produced and yet my airbox lid and number plate has gone the same way as this 420.
    I know Takagi made the tanks for all the Jap manufacturers but I'm not sure about the rest of the plastics. I would suspect all were made in house by Kawasaki or they came from a different batch ???
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:56:20 am by Maicoman »
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

TM BILL

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 08:37:33 am »

Just looking through my KX 125 A6 parts manual it lists oval and rectangular number plate for 1980. I'm guessing same rule applies for the 250 and 420. Depending on the market to which the bike is released would dictate which optioned plate would go on the bike.
   I agree with all your comments regarding how the bike has or has not held up over the years and for the asking price I wouldn't want faded plastics or paint missing off the frame. Funny stuff with those plastics. I've got Nos sidecovers that are still green as the day they were produced and yet my airbox lid and number plate has gone the same way as this 420.
    I know Takagi made the tanks for all the Jap manufacturers but I'm not sure about the rest of the plastics. I would suspect all were made in house by Kawasaki or they came from a different batch ???

That would be right , Australias MA the only country in the world to make riders fit square number boards , and the japs produce a bike with a square number board and send it every where but Aussie  ::)

Offline madmxrestorer

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 08:51:03 am »
Hi guys , the only things i can see wrong with this bike is the front fender and the front plate . i have been collecting NOS parts to restore all KX's for 1980 -81 and i cannot source the original front fenders (they have deeper valley at the front between the ribs) and the NOS plastics are hit and miss with color change though , try finding NOS fork boots. This may be the real deal ,  some parts may have been  taken and then replaced. I bought a first model CRF450 in a crate and it was used for parts and then they were replaced later. The money is probably a bit high, but if i count for the time i have been sourcing parts and the $ for parts and if your a die hard Kwaka man then hit the buy it now button and enjoy your ebay purchase before some one else does. The old bike shine is a bit of a worry though. Just one more thing if any one has a KX125 1981 and 1982 for sale around Mebourne and Gippsland area i would be interested for the right price ,cheers

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 10:02:18 am »

That would be right , Australias MA the only country in the world to make riders fit square number boards , and the japs produce a bike with a square number board and send it every where but Aussie  ::)

Are you saying that I can use square number board?  ;-)  If I get your approval I will start looking for a square one now.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

TM BILL

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 10:12:34 am »
Jammer i offered you the real deal in the other thread  ;)

I know in the day in Australia you had to run those ridiculous big arsed things but in all the years i have folled VMX in Aussie i cant remember to many people reviving that particular piece of Aussie MX history  ;D

Obviously in pre 85 and pre 90 a condensed version became the norm  :)