Author Topic: Should there be a 4 stroke class pre 85/evo at the Nats  (Read 9990 times)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: Should there be a 4 stroke class pre 85/evo at the Nats
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 07:44:19 pm »
Gee Graham, which part did I get wrong?...YOUR TT250 IS A HAND GRENADE , there are only a couple of PIG ROOTERS that come to QVMX and BMCC or are we going to diferent meetings?....how often do we see one of those hideous TT500/Aberg replicas?....you would think there where 100's of them out there with the amount of YZ125C/X's that have been molested for parts to build one (maybe the owners are too scared to show up in case a YZ125C smokes them), I could name most of the 4 strokes up here and most of them dont see a full season without throwing there guts all over the track...maybe we need to put a carbon tax on them....dirty niosy heavy peices of farm machinery.
Thats harsh  ;D
 I have been racing my near stock TT500 in the heaven club for the last 7 years or so  8) and never had a break down yet  8)
 keeping up with services like any bike you have no hassles,
I am always in the top 5 at the end of each race or even better  :D it all comes down to how far you want to twist that throttle and have balls
to ride a heavy lump .
And they are great for hole shots to :P ;D ;D

Offline kim80y

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 09:15:30 pm »
Simply...No.
Race in the capacity and year etc same as everyone else. There are enough variables for 4 strokes to compete, pro and cons for all.
Apply the KISS theory.
Cheers ::) ;)

Curly3

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 09:26:11 pm »
I just know I'll get hammered for this but here goes.
Why do they now run Prolites, or whatever, which is 125 2st & 250 4st?
Answere, because the performance's are comparable, if anything the difference in performance between the two was a fair bit wider back then than it is now, in the oil burners favour I should add.
How anyone can say that the 4 strokes are noisier and pollute more is beyond my comprehension.
Why are they phasing out 2st Outboard motors????????
Bum's on seats should be the main concern. 

oldfart

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 09:48:50 pm »
Crocka shit, have you ever seen my bike throw it's guts all over the track or are you referring to me ( be nice now )
Calling my bike a "Pig Rooter" is stepping over the line big time  ....   you will be delt with accordingly by being roosted in the 2013 season many times over .

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 09:56:42 pm »
Random ramblings…

Adding another class like this won’t necessarily bring in more riders. There may be some who would ride an extra class.

Pre 75 4 stroke seems to work okay but the 4 stoke models for pre 85 are evolutionary quite different.
HL’s are a 76 design, some are upspecced to Evo but would be out of place in Pre 85.
84 KTM’s and Husky’s would dominate against XR’s & DR’s etc.
While some guys can ride anything fast there is a trend that many racers are only interested in the latest and most competitive model for a class.

Most open class 4 strokes are competitive in their Era.
There wouldn’t be enough 250 4 strokes to warrant a class

4 strokes racing MX in the 80’s,…
Kel Amberson is one that springs to mind, he would be at many events and if I remember correctly he was on a Sonic and maybe later a KTM??
I raced my TT350 at Newry in 88 as did a mate, that doesn’t really count though as it was a ‘one off’ just for the hell of it. (and quite a pathetic attempt to)

Club days often involved a 4 stroke class and/or a trailbike class.
The trail bike class was more common at DVMCC MX events and I often rode in them.
I won my first trophy (3rd) on a KLX at a club Enduro against 250 2 strokes.

If you want to start a new class then it should start at club events, if there is enough interest then it could be justified to run it as a National event. Can’t really see that happening.

I will eventually get around to building my own HL, a 4 stroke class won’t influence me to build it faster. I will be just as fast on it as anything else
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Curly3

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59:53 pm »
As you say Oldfart, is your comment aimed at me?
Be nice to know.
I know we don't need more classes, hence my point.
Geoff, I can put you onto a bloke for your HL frame. ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:04:45 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »
Stewy, you only bring your pig rooter out every now and again ;D , Slidey, 4 stroke decibels travel alot further than 2 smokers, its a proven fact and the 4 strokers that are raced have no form of anti pollution devices/catalitic converters or anything to save the enviroment etc, so are not doing anything better than a 2 stroke.There is some pretty good work happening on 2 strokes these days, there not dead yet. I see Graham has his pig rooter for sale. BTW, the comment is not aimed at anyone in particular. Hows me airboxes Geoff?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 10:10:06 pm »
Why do they now run Prolites, or whatever, which is 125 2st & 250 4st?

Mostly they're allowing 250 2Ts in with the 250Fs.

The 250Fs often put down faster lap times than the 450Fs in modern MX - and they destroy the 125s and even the 144/150s most of the time.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 10:37:21 pm »
Hows me airboxes Geoff?

er, uhm, yeah, well you see this four stroke project has been consuming more time than I thought

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 10:40:03 pm »
Lools like scrap to me.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 11:02:39 pm »
“The factories are going to be testing the four-stroke motocross market within the next 2 years. They feel that government bureaucracy and the Environmental protection Agency will wipe out the two-stroke forces sooner or later”

Motocross Action June 79

STW996

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 07:03:22 am »
In my view if you want to ride a four stroke than do it in the current classes, Dont say they cannot win as anyone that has seen Fruity up here in Queensland ride that XR 500 will atest they can.

Again we are missing the point of vintage motocross, it is about the bikes and the era and secondly the riders (my view only).

We are starting to see some really good examples of era four stroke bikes being present at classic dirt but I would think the people building them have done so for the bike not a race class.

It's great to see big capacity bikes (and small) four strokes running but please I think by now we have more than enough classes.

Shane

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 10:53:34 am »
Dont say they cannot win as anyone that has seen Fruity up here in Queensland ride that XR 500 will atest they can.

I'll second that!
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

albrid-3

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 11:12:31 am »
There should be no 4 stroke classes, they should be ridden in the classes that has been provided on the program, we ran an all 4 stroke class  in pre 75 and it open up a can of worm, it wasn`t done like that in the true era, so why should it be done now. if the bike is over 250cc then race it in that classes, If its an allpowers classes then its all in.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:14:11 pm by Dave #6 »

oldfart

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 06:25:53 pm »
Quote ....As you say Oldfart, is your comment aimed at me?
Be nice to know.      ......No.