Author Topic: Hagon Front Shock/Damper  (Read 18752 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Hagon Front Shock/Damper
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 10:58:55 pm »
I have no idea about Calder, but in the back ground the people are looking at the tarmac, there is a car on the road track surface on the left having just gone through what looks like a finish marker on the right ?
Rick said he did a drag run on a club day and it was still in dirt trim including barrums
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 07:27:30 am »
Considering it's got a 19" Barum on the back I'd say he was riding Short Circuit that day.

Slides,sometime  in the '70s I remember Don Campbell, # 9, from the old Pacific club, called in at Castlereagh on his way home from Nepean, got conned into dragging the JAP off the trailer and having a run, strapped a bit of foam under the motor and turned a time in the 11's, Barum and all, I saw the time slip but can't remember the exact time. Totally rooted the Barum !!
Foss

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 07:35:02 am »
That is a very nice thing to do Freaky (offering the bike back to Rick).
 What was the outcome? if you don't mind me asking.
   Regards  Mark

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 10:39:34 am »
Here's the very early Antig Bultaco Jims shipping back from England in the same box as my Metisse. Note unusual rear loop, very different to my own Antig 2T frame. Like mine it's got the very rare and desirable Antig hubs. These little items are considered holy grail by pre 65 MX bike builders.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:41:18 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 03:43:07 pm »
That is a very nice thing to do Freaky (offering the bike back to Rick).
 What was the outcome? if you don't mind me asking.
   Regards  Mark

The family seems prity keen to have it back, I get emails daily with fotos of the bike, the sashes and his dad with it.  Ricks going to put a peice together about it and we will post it here if you guys are interested.   I can tell rick remembers everything about this bike and every bit of its history so it would be good that we get it all down somewhere to stay with the bike,  I have had a few Bully collectors wave some coin at it, but I rather see it go back home if possible and give rick first option, even if I send it over there on loan for a while and they can catch up
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Curly3

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 03:50:40 pm »
Good onya Kerry, I hope it works out.
I'm pretty sure we'd all like to see some more of it and Ray's History.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 04:18:15 pm »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 04:18:27 pm »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 04:20:46 pm »
Now doesn't that make you feel better Freaky ;D. As much as I love an engine swap, this just isn't the bike to wedge a Jawa/AMC into. If the family wants it, I reckon you should do as much as you can to make it happen. A proper Hagon/Elstar/Antig roller will eventually come along, they're not that rare.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 04:37:13 pm »
i still have that early hagon i picked up that had the jAp in it, just have to figure out how to make the swap to a 2 vavle cause i give up watign for its motor to resurface.

Aalso picking up another long track roller this week thats plated for a JAwa but not sure on the frame year till i see it. so have some options.

still would like to fang this taco out at some point,  but the speedway track wont let us run gearbox bikes........  but im working on that to  ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:39:00 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Curly3

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 05:07:06 pm »
Broadford next Easter sounds like the ideal opportunity Freaky, good time for the hand over and maybe Rick can cut some Laps as well?
I'm hoping to get down there next year.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »
What a great story this has turned into! I would love to read more about the Bully and Ray Wason including pics. Good an ya Freaky. You should be proud of yourself.
How cool would it be if this bike can end up back with Ray's family. The Broadford thing sounds like a good thing as well. I'll be there Slides. The track is great, fairly long so you can have a good "fang" on the Taco Freaky :D
cheers  Mark

Curly3

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 09:14:28 pm »
Just saw the current condition of Calder Park in 2012 on Gasoline.
Shame, but I have to admit that after watching the Nascar series on Ch1 occasionally, it is bloody boring, just like their Footy & Baseball & Basketball.

Offline RW490

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 10:42:54 pm »
If you enlarge the picture of dad and the Bulty at Calder you can see that his original carburettor was an Amal GP with the separate bowl for more fuel flow. The main jets were in the 2000 range and his favourite plug was an RL49 or 59 ? lodge which I still have 2 or 3 of When I spoke to Freaky I went into the back shed and pulled out the collection of rear sprockets, a new set of exact.handlebars and the original full alloy brake lever with the cable still attached. The bike was made & welded together from plans that dad sent to England for, from Alf Hagon. When the main bar was put in, it was of oversize tubing compared to a normal Hagon. This was because dad thought it would be ok to use that as the fuel tank. It was found not to run economically as a 2000 size jet swallows alky. The tank was fitted later. The ignition was mounted on the front dirt shield in the Calder photo. Later the femsatronic coil was fitted to the rear dirt shield to stop the wire joins failing from vibration.

When the pursang motor was put into the Hagon, a YAMAHA motor was put into the pursang and was alway called the Yamsang. Dad was a lifetime member of the Harley Club Of Victoria and never missed a Romsey grass track. The Hagon was also used at the Harley Club drags at Calder Park and after lunch they would then do road race. This was the first time that I met another gentleman of the sport, Rusty Craggill. Rusty let me ride his Ta125 Yamaha road racer around the pits at Calder until I ran out of petrol.

The Bulty was also used in Harley Club hill climbs, I can't remember where, but I will check dads trophies to try and find out. There are more photo's at Romsey that I will try to find and get up on the site. Thanks guys for your kind words about the bike and it's history.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:07:11 pm by RW490 »
Jack of all Master of none

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 07:58:54 am »
I'm pretty sure the Harley club ran the hillclimb at Rob Roy. I used to go there  as a kid with my Dad . Harry Rowe was racing sidecars and was a member of the club. I have some film footage, I'll have a look and see if I can get some names. I reckon your Dad would have known Harry . The Harley club was very active back then.
    Regards    Mark