Author Topic: Farleigh Castle - idea for the future  (Read 9900 times)

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Farleigh Castle - idea for the future
« on: September 19, 2012, 01:52:56 am »
One of the challenges for anybody once removed from the UK and European continent is the logistics.

Given that South Africa and Australia are both competitive and compete regularly against each other- why dont we create a annual twin shock challenge between two nations that share similar challenges logistically   at Farleigh?

In stead of the Ashes maybe we can have a floating trophy - to be left in the care of the winning nation after Farleigh each year

Any interest?

Email [email protected]
Old and slow - and happy

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
Re: Farleigh Castle - idea for the future
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:05:43 am »
I would go a bit further, why not have rounds of the VMX DN held in a few other countries and the finals at Farleigh Castle? If there was say 4-6 rounds held in various contires eg... US, Belgium, Netherlands, S.Africa, Australia, Japan and Canada, it would make the event bigger, give more people a chance to witness the spectacle and have the finals at Farleigh Castle UK. It would then be a true VMX/DN Test Event. This would be a good promoters dream surely? Each countries governing MX body would be responsible for local organisation with ticket sales going to that body and the share of the TV rights. Suddenly you would have a world audience with National pride at stake. Great for tourism and the local economy, local and federal government may be inclined to put money in to see some return. Just a thought.

Kevin.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:07:34 am by KTMaico »
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

TM BILL

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:20:47 am »
Just out of curiosity have either of you been to a VMXDN at Farliegh  ???
Any challenge you throw up is irellevant as the Kiwi team would kick your arses anyway  :-*
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:22:34 am by TM bill »

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:23:47 am »
No, but would love to. And that is my point, make it more accessable to the masses of fans. I would not want any Kiwi to kiss my arse as you say ;D

Kevin.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:25:44 am by KTMaico »
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S

TM BILL

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:57:44 am »
No, but would love to. And that is my point, make it more accessable to the masses of fans. I would not want any Kiwi to kiss my arse as you say ;D

Kevin.

Its a Unique event and you would not be able to replicate it any more than you could replicate a Classic dirt . They are very special events and have their own identities .

A big shout out to Rusty (Holeshot buddy) who has ridden the event the last 3 years  8) 8) that is a hell of a commitment  :) as the financial side alone of making the trip is bloody high .

If i read Gavins post correctly i think he means a challenge within a challenge at the Farliegh . This could work  :) but as i say it would be a bit hollow if you dont invite the strongest team from the Southern hemisphere  :P

As for an international multi rd series  ??? good luck with that one  ;) this year we couldn't get enough to travel to Tassie for the Evo nats  ::)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:08:26 am by TM bill »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:12:49 am »
It'll never happen. Farleigh is run by a private promoter who has some good contacts and knows a lot of the ex gp stars and is able to lure them to his race from nearby Europe.
Who would pay for them to come to Australia? We can't even get our governing body to chip in for the Aussies going to Farleigh!
And we were not even able to achieve the running of the 2012 evo/pre 90 vintage Nats let alone an international race.
What about the bikes, who would foot the bill for them to be shipped around the globe? It's not like you could lend them bikes, they are all very special builds with many trick and nos parts.
I'm sorry to say but it would be too difficult to put together a series..

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 11:20:11 am »
The problem as I see it is the governing body is not a promoter and has no idea about much except how to check your spokes before an event, oh and how to take your money off you and then stand around with a smile on their faces thinking it was all there idea when it's great.
They will never put on an event like that unless someone else stumps up the dollars and risks everything.
As it is Farleigh is the greatest event of its type and I'm surprised Unadullah doesn't do the same- or Carlsbad etc.... etc....
Mr Vintage MX will become the battle ground of our past greats-you wait and see...and if SAffies want to come and play-well and good. If the poms want to send a team that'd be great too.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 12:06:10 pm »
Mr Vintage MX will become the battle ground of our past greats-you wait and see...and if SAffies want to come and play-well and good. If the poms want to send a team that'd be great too.
This one   ;D Flights straight into Sydney Town  8)

Best is in the West !!

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 02:52:19 pm »
This is a question of "wish for" the Future of VMX/DN. Whether it would even be considered or not, thats a completely different proposition. But if you have great events anywhere surely you would like to see it grow and become greater than it's original form. I personally, would like to see our sport grow and prosper and become more main stream again as in the 70's and 80's. If we can get critical mass we would get more funding, more tracks, more events and so on. We can't just be a small and shrinking community of like minded dirt fans as we are getting older and the membership is shrinking.

I really beleive there is a audience world wide for twinshock events and I for one would like to see more and I would encourage any person or body that would help make our sport more accessable to the general public and to raise it's profile nationally and internationally

My two cents...

Kevin
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 05:14:21 pm »
There is nothing stopping other countries holding similar events at legendary tracks if they want.I think the Fairleigh event is a true VMX/DN event over 4 rounds,the beauty of which is it is in the UK and close to Europe the ancestral home of MX,as others have said it is a unique event.To those interested the sport is readily accessable at both the competative and spectator level.Realistically without a commited promoter able to organize the logistics involved and with the promise of a profit at the end its a bit "pie in the sky".Progressive thinking at club level a la Viper in Vic will ensure that new blood enters the fray becoming new members(on later model bikes)and maybe these guys will become interested in the older stuff.Anyway its worth putting it out there Kevin :) PS like TM Bill big ups to Rusty for his 3rd go around,legendary mate! ;)

Offline 35elsinore

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 07:30:41 pm »
It does sound like a great idea and there would certainly be a good spectator following. The problem would be keeping the vets able for a full season of international level racing. They no doubt love it every now and then but to commit to a full series might be a different story.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 09:42:10 pm »
The Farleigh race wouldn't be a patch on what it is if it wasn't at Farleigh Castle and if Dave King wasn't the promoter. Its been running for 4 years and if it was easy to replicate someone would already be doing it.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 09:53:34 pm »
Once you've expierenced/travelled in the UK and western european countries you will understand why an event like Farleigh which attracts so many countries is possible. To drive from most parts of France, Belgium and Netherlands and to a lesser extent Germany, Spain and Italy across to England can be achieved in a day, not all that different to what some of us do when travelling north/south on the east coast of Australia. Even the trip from the east cost of north America to London is easily done in a day. (obviously not in a car ;D)

When we struggle to run a National event (VMX or Modern) in WA then the chance of running a successful Trans-Tasman or Trans-Indian VMX event is doomed from the start. Was it not all that long ago that pretty smart bunch of operators in Tasmania had to pull the pin on a National event?
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 10:03:15 pm »
Exactly Bahnzy.. I mentioned that earlier but it's just not registering

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 12:10:05 am »
Just out of curiosity have either of you been to a VMXDN at Farliegh  ???
Any challenge you throw up is irellevant as the Kiwi team would kick your arses anyway  :-*

Yes - three times and yes I have also ridden Farleigh Castle

My suggestion is given the amount of competition in all sports involving Australia and South Africa why not have a floating trophy to be decided on the country with the best overall result in the twin shock class at Farleigh?

Yes I would welcome the Tri Nations Australia , New Zealand and South Africa competing against each other at Farleigh.

I will donate the appropriate trophy if there is interest.

This does not replace Farleigh but is a competition within a competition - bear in mind nobody will have the home town advantage.

Old and slow - and happy