Author Topic: Auzies turn off OZ VMX  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Auzies turn off OZ VMX
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 08:10:49 am »
I was just pointing out that everyone on less than $80k gets an income tax cut, no matter how you try to fudge the numbers (re: Robert Gottleibsen article which clearly and falsely implied the opposite). I think its $20k/annum that gets you the largest cut, gradually declining to zero at $80k - obviously, someone earning just below $80k gets a trivial cut.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 08:38:09 am »
What's even scarier is Tony Abbott wil recind the carbon tax and the tax cuts that go with it.Instaed of the big polluters paying the tax and passing it on,they will get paid directly by the government to reduce greenhouse gas emissions i.e.taxpayers will foot the bill for them in order for us to reduce our emissions by 5% of 2000 levels which both parties are committed to.I recently heard that this alternative scheme will cost us $62 per ton.Now that's wealth redistribution.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 09:01:23 am »
Geoff - leave my attire alone - I am gorgeous in my riding gear - you ask me I will tell you  ;D  I lose 10 years and 20 kgs!!!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 09:17:46 am »
What's even scarier is Tony Abbott wil recind the carbon tax and the tax cuts that go with it.Instaed of the big polluters paying the tax and passing it on,they will get paid directly by the government to reduce greenhouse gas emissions i.e.taxpayers will foot the bill for them in order for us to reduce our emissions by 5% of 2000 levels which both parties are committed to.I recently heard that this alternative scheme will cost us $62 per ton.Now that's wealth redistribution.

You wont hear any of this on talk back radio or the Murdoch press  ;)

Montynut

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 09:38:48 am »
You need to read the current Carbon pricing policy and try to work out where the funding for the tax cuts and other sweeteners will come from once the carbon trading scheme is implemented fully.

The fact that by 2020 there will actually be no reduction in CO2 output in Australia but a real gross increase in our CO2 output (from current Government documentation) and we will be exporting massive amounts of money to third world countries to buy dubious carbon credits (there is no international monitoring or standards set up) to generate a net (or paper) reduction in CO2 output.

Some of the current schemes to generate carbon credits see small third world countries planting large areas of trees and then being paid for the carbon credits generated. two seasons later the new 'forest' suffers a 'natural' disaster like a fire and is destroyed (how terrible) SOooo the trees are replanted and guess what that generates carbon credits which are sold and then over and over.

I have never heard of your $62/tonne claim so cannot directly comment but would certainly consider that it will be far cheaper, fairer and controlled than the current debacle which puts Australia deliberately and seemly recklessly in the path of economic harm for no real gain.

D'oh I said the other post was my last ::)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:47:22 am by Montynut »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 09:51:27 am »

This is why Abbott doesn't give details to policies...
Abbott and economics is like me and brain surgery - I simply don't have the knowledge to talk in anything but the vaguest of terms. 
Lucky I'm not applying for a job as a brain surgeon... ;)

Eh, enough politics! The sky is not falling. The cobra and the python are making sweet sweet love down by the fire and Whyalla hasn't even budged.
The voting public will get their say in less than 18 months time.
Until then, there's lots of bikes to ride and restore and talk shit about. :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:55:44 am by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

maico police

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 10:02:46 am »

The voting public will get their say in less than 18 months time.

Will they fuggin' what.

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 10:10:28 am »
Good advice Nathan. :D.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 01:28:25 pm »
Clearly no-one has actually read what Tony Abbott has proposed. Regardless of whether it would work or not, the bottom line is that his policy commits to no extra taxes and the actual cost per tonne would work out to around $15 per tonne abated. He claims that the Direct Action Plan would be capped at 10.5 billion over the 8 years to 2020 and would be funded entirely from consolidated revenue.

Although it is definitely possible to level criticism at the DAP (and pretty much everyone has!), wild claims about what it means and how it works are about as off-track as some of the nonsense spouted about the Labor party's ETS.

I will agree that the DAP is pretty light on for detail, and to be honest my gut feel is that it presupposes that within a few years the whole matter of climate change will have fallen off the boil and other matters will have become more critical...

Now, that was all said at the risk of invoking the ire of those who think the forum is only for discussing vintage dirtbikes, so I'll quickly redirect things by pointing out that I depend on OzVMX for my daily fix of VMX fun so I hope you'll all accept that no CO2 was freed in the making of the site, and it's ongoing use by millions of satisfied customers is handled by my Greening Tuggeranong plan, which sees me actively planting and watering plants in my backyard, with water from my own on-site water storage system. And I use an electric mower too, so there.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 05:02:54 pm »
So is the electric mower remotely 'carbon neutral' ?? No, I thought not 'cause even if it had a solar panel,it would have used some carbon whilst being built.
The current govt is on a bent to spread 'our wealth' around the world as quickly as they can as part of a very strong RED drive.
It is said that there will never be a retraction of the carbon tax, just as the other side didn't go back on the GST-once you give them a tax they will never give it up.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 11:12:33 pm »
I just got a $19/week tax cut?

Me too, and everybody else here as well...  ;D

So we all get a free lunch ? Yippee life is just dandy isn't it ?

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 08:24:47 am »
EML - so correct - I contacted my local minister about the Coalition stance on the abolition of the tax system for expats - the answer very politely came back "oh the labour government have spent so much money we don't think we will be able to abolish it but have to continue it to pay the bills".

Once it's in - regardless of where from it's there forever.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

oldfart

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 08:43:32 am »
It all started back in 1788 by this Fella  ;)
When the first Governor, Governor Phillip, arrived in New South Wales in 1788, he had a Royal Instruction that gave him power to impose taxation if the colony needed it.