Author Topic: Which one are you ?  (Read 5705 times)

Offline mudguard

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Which one are you ?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 04:21:24 pm »
I'm led to believe that everything is negotiable, within reason. You have got to ask, and if you suceed, you feel as though you have had a little win. Won't budge on $2.50, as if that small loss is going to cripple the seller!
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Curly3

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 04:58:40 pm »
I love the haggle, mainly when I'm buying because it feels like a win.
The art is in working out how much they need to unload the item, Im always reluctant to sell stuff and I rarely advertise it, always word of mouth.
The thrill of the chase.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 05:47:05 pm »
If I get someone who doesn't think the discount I have offered is generous enough then I ask them to take that amount of discount out of their wallet and just throw it away down the street. The usual reaction is that that would be a less than sensible action - but when I point out that thats exactly what I have just done for them things get back into perspective. :)
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »
If I get someone who doesn't think the discount I have offered is generous enough then I ask them to take that amount of discount out of their wallet and just throw it away down the street. The usual reaction is that that would be a less than sensible action - but when I point out that thats exactly what I have just done for them things get back into perspective. :)

If you could have sold it for the full ask, you never would have offered the discount.  ;D ;D

Got a good-hearted lecture from the wrecker in Goulburn once, about how he had to make money and his wife was sick of eating rabbit all the time (and that's why he was sticking to his too-high prices).
Funny thing was that the amount of money I put straight back into my wallet would have fed his whole family in the best restaurant in Goulburn, but he'd prefer to have the dusty old bike parts sitting on his shelf until the day he dies. ???

Seriously, I understand wreckers are different to normal retailers, as they don't always get the stock they want.

But lots of conventional retailers do stuff completely against what I learned back in the day.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

maico police

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 07:40:46 pm »

Spot on!
I might let you take me down a few hundred on the bike but I'll be removing that amount in parts before you pick it up..... :D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 08:26:12 pm »
Nathan , please buy into our business  and show us the way its done  ;) As old dinosaurs need a good shakeup  from a government trained executive  ;) ;D

Spent eight years in retail before I got my trade. I don't pretend to be a guru, and I understand that lots of stuff has changed since then, but I've watched a lot of businesses fail or underperform because they're run by blokes who break a lot of the basic rules - including thinking that their existance is a favour to their customers.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 08:30:18 pm »

If you could have sold it for the full ask, you never would have offered the discount.  ;D ;D

Got a good-hearted lecture from the wrecker in Goulburn once, about how he had to make money and his wife was sick of eating rabbit all the time (and that's why he was sticking to his too-high prices).
Funny thing was that the amount of money I put straight back into my wallet would have fed his whole family in the best restaurant in Goulburn, but he'd prefer to have the dusty old bike parts sitting on his shelf until the day he dies. ???

Seriously, I understand wreckers are different to normal retailers, as they don't always get the stock they want.

But lots of conventional retailers do stuff completely against what I learned back in the day.

Best restaurant in Goulburn? You big spender you - what were you buying, a spark plug? :D
The point isn't that you can't always afford to give a discount, but its that you are offering a compromise TO GET THE SALE. Being hard nosed at either end doesn't help but each sale is different and if either party isn't happy then its no sale, not a problem. Some people can't be made happy unless you give them money as well as the parts.......
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 09:14:11 pm »
$152.50 was the deal , so whats your point.

......I wasn't making a point, just asking if it was yours would you keep it or drop the price by $2.50 and make the sale....read the post.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:18:03 pm by evo550 »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 10:19:08 pm »
Best restaurant in Goulburn? You big spender you - what were you buying, a spark plug? :D
The point isn't that you can't always afford to give a discount, but its that you are offering a compromise TO GET THE SALE. Being hard nosed at either end doesn't help but each sale is different and if either party isn't happy then its no sale, not a problem. Some people can't be made happy unless you give them money as well as the parts.......

Well, there's a good restaurant in Yass - I assume there's one at least as good in Goulburn...

Your point about the compromise to make the sale is spot on. I was always told to ask myself "what do you need to make the sale?". Obviously, there are times when you can't realistically do enough to make the customer happy, but the sale you actually make is always more profitable than the sale you don't make...

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 07:17:05 am »
I understand the haggle as good as the next guy , however if its an auction with a reserve and the product for sale meets it's reserve or  the product is a buy it now senario why make an offer , it doesnt make sense.

If the product was buy it now with a make an offer , "i get it"

"Thats the point"
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 07:28:51 am »
$2.50? you have wasted that much in electricity on your computer worrying about it.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 11:03:35 am »
 "the sale you actually make is always more profitable than the sale you dont make"
 Sort of clashes with the adage "an item is bought because it's worth more to the buyer than the money being spent"
 Conversly if you sell, the money is worth more than the item.
cheers
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 11:19:07 am »
Not seeing the clash there, Pancho?

I do like the adages you've used though.

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 11:40:37 am »
Hey Steve

Not all of us have a Welsh Wr250 main frame server that would absorb $2.50 worth of power just to fire it up ;D
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 12:37:16 pm »
$2.50? you have wasted that much in electricity on your computer worrying about it.

The thing that stands here to the debate is not the amount , but purely the principal . And thats where the different types of people come into . Some people are successive  by ducking and weaving through their life looking for the point of least resistance and the easiest way out  . It works for some , they usually survive . Then there is the ones with principles , they usually encounter much resistance , for the straight line they walk in life . Few fall  and some walk to the end to receive the awards. Its the harder way , I have to agree . Who is wrong and who is right ?

To give you a good example , when the day comes when I really want to move all my chrome trolleys  and  the tones of XS stuff  100% once and for all ,  Then I will ( or the executer of my will ) advertise that stuff at very reasonable price for a certain period . Once the period is up , it will go to Sims. The crushing  documented by  U tube, for the fence sitters and cheap charlys  to enjoy  . Some people could call this stupidity  and I would call it principal . Who is right  and who is wrong ?

Hey Wasp , No ones getting my stash Im taking it with me .    Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club