Author Topic: Which one are you ?  (Read 5697 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Which one are you ?
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:16:09 am »
I have been watching a silencer on ebay for about 3 months now for $99, so I contacted the seller and requested a shipping price, to which he promptly replied and it bought the total including shipping to $152.50. Now being a simple Aussie, I like round numbers, so I messaged back, "Lets make it a round $150 and you have a deal", to which he replied "NO DEAL, $152.50, take it or leave it."....... ::)
Now I'm the type of guy that if I've been trying to sell something for 3 months, I will take a $2.50 loss to move it. My wife on the other hand would rather not sell at all for the sake of $2.50...so my question is,
Which one are you?

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Re: Which one are you ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 04:50:38 am »
3 Months, I'd take the $150, in fact I'd take any offer down to $130 and be grateful. It's what VMX part you can buy with your $130 that matters ;D "NO DEAL, $152.50, take it or leave it." Where is the courtesy? Sounds like a knob to me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:52:37 am by KJ222 »
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

STW996

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 06:08:10 am »
Well my view has always been you can't walk into Coles or Woolies and barter them down in price.

If you contacted the seller and said look I'm keen to buy at a lesser price and then asked for the shipping cost I would be ok with that, but if you have just asked for the shipping costs sounds like you are ok with the price??

The take it or leave is a bit tough, funny how we perceive what people say in writing without known them?

Shane

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:19:23 am »
$152.50 was the deal , so whats your point.

Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Montynut

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:55:00 am »
Experienced the same thing a while back. The seller assumed that by asking the shipping cost I had agreed to a price when I was actually trying to find out shipping so there were no surprises after agreeing a purchase price.

I would think that if you asked for the shipping price before saying I will buy the item then you are trying to work out if the total cost is within your budget.

If you negotiate $5 off the price then ask for shipping often the seller just adds the $5 back onto the shipping cost. That has happened to me much to often.

Ebay even allows you to ask about shipping before bidding or buying.

In my case the seller seemed to assume I was asking for a discounted shipping rate
Eg item $180 shipping quote $32 total $212
I offered $200 total
The seller went off a little about me trying to rip him  off on postage cost. I tried to explain that my offer was $168 + $32 postage but he didn’t see it that way :-\

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:26 am »
3 months or not;$2.50 is not too much either way.There are a lot of the many different types who make up this weird and wonderfull world on ebay.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 10:56:23 am »
I always wonder how it makes sense to keep the thing you want to sell, rather than reduce the price by $2.50 ...

Like most of us, I've got hundreds of stories of the greedy idiots who are trying to sell stuff. The one that springs to mind was the almost immaculate old car that had a damaged chassis rail - he wanted $400, I offered $250 and was told that I was dreaming - $400 or nothing. I left my number, and said that id think about whether i could scrape up the extra cash.
Two days later, the seller got the scrappies to take it away - so he got nothing for it, which was somehow better than $250?!
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 11:18:08 am »
Makes me wonder whether its,"pincipal or stupidity.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 01:05:29 pm »
Wasp,I think you are right.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 01:19:59 pm »
Ever dollar counts when your on centerlink and makin extra income.More tax evastion and clamp downs are a continual dollar burden of our economy.just sayin.
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 02:21:21 pm »
I think its principal . We dont  know how long this bloke had to put up with tossers  :D. maybe he is just feed up with answering silly questions and sending pics to fruitless inquiries that waist more time than what the sale is worth . There are some funny keyboard "buyers" out there  ;)

Selling the item solves all of those problems. ???

Cranky old German bloke I used to work with, was selling 400 12-gauge shells at a good price. The only bloke to ring up engaged in traditional Aussie style haggling, and offered him $10 less than the ask.
So he told the bloke to fork off, and then spent the next three hours hacksawing 400 shot gun shells into pieces.
Principles are one thing, but there's also a saying about cutting your nose off to spite your face...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 02:34:13 pm »
I’m the one that whenever I want to buy something it turns out to be sought after and I’m never quick enough to get it.
But when I am trying to sell something it turns out to be out of fashion and I can’t give it away.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 03:01:38 pm »
id say get forked its probally only $35 in postage you profitter twat,  and im happy to pay the actual postage the post office charges when you put it in a snesible box, so take it or leave it ya  knob.     ;)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 03:30:05 pm »
I allways ask the question to me I love to haggle  ;D

There is a a KTM piston thats been on ebay for about 2 years now and the only reason I havent bought it is the guy wont drop his price a little bit.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 03:32:51 pm »
I understand the haggle as good as the next guy , however if its an auction with a reserve and the product for sale meets it's reserve or  the product is a buy it now senario why make an offer , it doesnt make sense.

If the product was buy it now with a make an offer , "i get it"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:35:15 pm by HVA61 »
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs