Author Topic: Old Racer's Insurance?  (Read 6090 times)

Curly3

Old Racer's Insurance?
« on: May 10, 2012, 06:54:03 pm »
Not directly bike related but it affects all of us.
I'm a self employed tradesman and have had income protection with the same insurer for nearly 20 years without ever making a claim.
4 weeks ago I broke my leg racing and started the claim process pretty well straight away and the amount of paperwork and detailed questions involved is staggering, I still haven't heard back and have a big concern that my claim will be knocked back.
What are your experiences and which insurer do you think offers the best deal for an old fart who races?
Cheers, Steve

P.S. The leg is healing well so far but I'll be off work for at least another 4 weeks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:57:44 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Racer's Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:06:04 pm »
Hi SR,
It's interesting that you started this topic. I broke my leg 2 weeks ago at the first Viper round.
I have been self employed all my life except the last year. I now work in the Victorian construction industry and part of our EBA is accident and sickness insurance. This was one of the reasons I decided to start racing for this year. I had been told the insurance was for wages only but for up to 3 years, no exclusions.
Now that I have been talking with them about my break, I find out that there is one exclusion and that is professional or non professional sport, including training for. I have no cover. I will be about $8000 out of pocket from what I thought I would get.
Not only is this a big financial problem, it really means that I can't ever race again.
Does anyone know if there would be an insurance to cover these exclusions?
Cheers, Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

Curly3

Re: Old Racer's Insurance?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 07:45:14 pm »
Shit Grahame that sux, fffffffffing fine print.
Macho Mick went through the same thing last year and was insured with Combined, they have been providing insurance for motorsport for a long time, I had a policy with them when I did my shoulder way back in 70's, they were known as Combined American then and I didn't realise they were still around.
I don't know what they charge, Mick?

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:06:39 pm »
I had Combined Insurance while I was self employed. I tried to claim once (20+years of premiums) and then found it only covered me if I spent 1 day in hospital minimum. Because I didn't stay in hospital at all then I couldn't claim for the 5 weeks off work. Screwed by fine print again.
The good thing about all this is that my broken fibula is a clean and uncomplicated break and I should be back at work soon. My boss is great, but not too keen on my continued racing career.
Cheers, Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

mainline

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:49:15 pm »
Interesting timing, just met with my insurance broker this arvo. I'm with AIA for my income protection, might be a good time to go through the fine print?

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 09:32:29 pm »
I looked into it a while ago, the policy i looked at which was reasonably priced would insure for a social ride, but not for competition. I reckon it would be typical of any insurance co to even wiggle out of paying whilst social riding. They would find some excuse -like the tyres on your bike don't comply with rego, or the bike is modified etc etc.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:06:34 am »
they have always looked after me!,slidey, not sure how much i pay,roughly grand a year i think?,(part of thats sickness/diseases/death, which ever comes 1st??)they are the only ones to insure you whilst racing,some where on the forum we've discussed this before,as they were changing their minds this year for new applicants (typical  ::)),i've been paid for crashes in NZ,Nepean, Buladelah,a biggie at broadford,thank the lord ambo rides is compulsory insurance! (HCF for me),bit of paper work involved,mainly they like whichever docs treating you at the time to fill them in,was interesting every visit at John Hunter was a different intern,think they escalated my injury level with "doc speak",i know i was confused, ;):P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 06:19:20 am »
Guys,
I have insurance with combined and has been great for racers but as of June they will not cover what they call extreme sports Motorbike riding/racing ,Horse racing etc. but they will cover you for football injuries (cant work that out  ???go to the hospital on Saturday and see how many football injuries there are compered to Motorcycles)

Good news they have told me that if you have the insurance before the cutoff date you will still be fully covered motorbike racing included

So if you are thinking about it you better get a riggle on

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 06:26:28 am »
Do you have a Phone number?

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 06:35:47 am »
I only have my local guy look them up on the internet for your local brockers
Combined insurance they are a national company should be easy to find

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 07:34:33 am »
1300 300 480
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 08:19:48 am »
My income protection insurance won't cover me to race - so no racing. Can't take the risk.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 08:44:10 am »
I had Combined Insurance while I was self employed. I tried to claim once (20+years of premiums) and then found it only covered me if I spent 1 day in hospital minimum. Because I didn't stay in hospital at all then I couldn't claim for the 5 weeks off work. Screwed by fine print again.

That sounds odd as they are usually the only insurance that pay up without drama.
Haven't been with then for decades now but from what I remember it was only the doctors certificate that was needed.

I haven't bothered with insurance/ income protection for years, I read the fine print and there are so many outs for them that it seems pointless to fork out the dough if they are going to shirk paying.
I decided I would be better off putting a grand in the bank every year (and of course I don't) to cover myself
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 08:57:48 am »
GMC is right they have so many exclusions its only worth it if you seriously injure yourself at work.Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums not paying out on claims :(

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 09:49:45 am »
So why doesn't MA cover us through the FIM??
I had Combined when I went to Europe-the only ones that would cover us-cost about $750.00 a year back in 1987 :o.
I have had talks with a rep but they are always trying to up-sell and the cover is getting more vague by the minute.
It's a risk we have to take I guess-the cost of good fun.