Author Topic: Old Racer's Insurance?  (Read 6089 times)

maico police

Re: Old Racer's Insurance?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 10:24:24 am »
That's not good Graeme and I'm sorry to hear that.
I worked for myself for years (up until very recently) and didn't bother with accident insurance. There always seemed to be too much fine print.
 One of the big incentives for being self-employed was that I could race without a boss always giving me the sermon from the mount about giving me the arse if I injured myself. :(

It's a toughie I know but for me, living my life the way I want to is more important than keeping 'The Man' happy.

And yes it also shits me that It's ok to injure yourself on the footie field ("Well done son. I remember when I was 80 kilos lighter and playing for the Wangabean Wankers blah, blah") but if you tweak your knee in a big rut on a Sunday It's "See ya later Freddie....."

Offline yungy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 10:36:25 am »
As far as I know combined are the only company that will cover you on a motorcycle but I think you need to say that you were riding not racing as no cover for racing, they will annoy the piss out of you all the time to keep upgrading your policy but I have found recently that there premiums are getting a lot dearer & unless you get really messed up you don't get a lot back, but it's a risky sport & there the only real option.

Curly3

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 11:54:59 am »
Doesn't seem like there are too many options available for us.
When I was in hospital awaiting my operation there were 3 other people also in the same boat, one from Netball & two from Rugby League.
I'm surprised there isn't something available through MA.
I've put my hand up for the MNSW Classic Dirt Track comittee may be something we can look into.
Sounds like if we could get something organised we might see more people out there having a go, I'm reluctant to take the risk again.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 01:23:07 pm »
I think they look at the "total and permanant disability" thing and go 'nope-too hard' but there must be a system that FIM can put in place.

Offline Baaarb

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 05:40:15 pm »
I'm self employed also and snapped the Tib/Fib in October last year on an organised trail ride.
I have an expensive loss of income policy with One Path that supposedly covers me for all bike riding and even racing (but probably not road racing due to the high speed).

I had a look at the claim form they sent out and was put off straight away by the ridiculous amount of stupid info they wanted filled in. Also, a fortnight has passed while I was ass up on the hospital bed and the couch unable to move much.
The hospital had big trouble filling out a simple form for an airline so I could attemp to claim back a fare that I couldn't use. I really can't imagine that they could have satisfied the insurance company..

Anyhow, as I run a business, I had to get others to fill in for me and keep the thing going while I was on the couch. I was able to do some paperwork on the laptop (while watching bike DVD's). In the end, my wages got paid and I didn't lose any money therefore no loss of income. No claim possible.

The whole incident cost a lot of money and time but no claim possible. Would be worth it if I got totally written off and they honoured a claim, but I have been thinking of dumping it and going back to Combined.

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 08:02:41 pm »
Basically if we want to do the sport we all enjoy we do so at "our own risk" no one is going to cover us these days as i have had income protection for years but in closer reading i will not be covered in the event of an accident in the class of "extreme sports", it is a pain because the sport i love so much is almost out of reach because of the thought in the back of my head,broken bone=6 weeks minimum off work,at the stage im at,Mortgage,kids etc i basically enter each vinduro knowing if i crash hard im responsible for what happens next.

cheers Dale.

Curly3

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 08:18:18 pm »
Sadly I think that's our lot Dale, but I struggle to see how old ( carefull ) guys riding old bikes can be classified as an extreme sport?, ignorance on behalf of the number crunchers.
Unfortunately since 9/11 and given the natural disasters our fellow Aussies have suffered in the last few years, we don't have a lot of choice.
I suppose my situation, riding well within myself and being run into by another rider shows how easily our "Hobby" can go sour.

Taka 100

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 08:27:32 pm »
 in the vmx /vinduro /vintage dirt track circles when someone has an off at an event and is out of action work wise for a while we have someone to ask them or their family if they need assistance then let us know and you just send a little something to help them along , old proverb 'many hands make light work'  all anon donations ;D

maybe it would be good to a have a wounded section on the forum, and people close by could lend a hand
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:39:56 pm by Taka 100 »

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 08:40:31 pm »
very good Taka-I don't mean Takas are very good-at least not the ones I rode. I mean that is a very good idea mr Taka san.

Taka 100

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 08:44:08 pm »
the one i had ' brand new ' flew straight past those lobito's and alpina's my mate's had , it was known as the 'tinny 'taka around the streets of port macquarie :D

even huskibul and his little 'bikey gang on their xr's could only follow the smoke trail.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x345/branchy97/taka100.jpg

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x345/branchy97/rockfordtaka100.jpg
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:57:33 pm by Taka 100 »

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 08:18:53 pm »
Just got off the phone with choosi,they deal with different companies to get the best deal,they directed me to Real Insurance who have a policy called Real Bill Cover.

I quizzed them about a motorsports exclusion,they do not exclude it unless you are riding professionally,There is a 30 day waiting period though so no good if you are only off work for a couple of weeks but good if you bang yourself up pretty bad.

My Quote was for $2500 per month benefit,46yo non smoker was $1190 per year.

choosi.com.au                      realinsurance.com.au
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:41:50 pm by Graeme M »

Curly3

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 08:34:17 pm »
Thanks Smed, that's a ship load cheaper than what I have been paying.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 03:37:10 pm »
Have just finished "going through the hoops" with both "Real Insurance" and "Combined Insurance".

For new policies, both of them will not cover any form of competitive motorcycle sport amateur or professional or practice.

Real Insurance said that any form of competition on a motorcycle or in a car is an exclusion.

Combined Insurance said that any activity on a dirt bike whether it is racing or riding round the paddock is an exclusion.

So, unless somebody has got some other ideas it seems that we are out on our own.

maico police

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 04:09:26 pm »
So, unless somebody has got some other ideas.........

Golf, following the footie, build a garage queen. There's plenty of ways to a long, drawn out death..... :'(

Curly3

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 05:28:25 pm »
Obviously there are some of us that are in a position where 1,2 or 6 months off work isn't of a concern, lucky you, but to the self employed tradie who is responsible for their own insurances it is becoming an ever increasing problem.
People bring up the topic of dwindling numbers from time to time and I reckon this is one of the biggest reason.
I put this question out there to see who's got what insurance and who they're with.
If you don't have anything positive to add to the debate then don't get involved.
Thanks for the feedback Gippslander, hopefully we can get something out of this.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:31:25 pm by SlideRulz »