Author Topic: CRM 250AR  (Read 10650 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
CRM 250AR
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:04:05 pm »
Just picked up the motor and electrics  out of one of these babies for a reasonable $300, CRM250 AR is interesting in so far is it had servo activated power valve 2 years before the CR250 did and was set up power valve to close further, to harness 'free radicals' in the exhaust gas to boost combustion at low rpm.

Honda built 3 or 4 versions from mid 80s onward and sold them up until quite recently as domestic model in Japan.

Anyways you end up with torquey trail bike engine at the end, which is heading for a blown up 2008 CR450 roller I have in stock. Kind of makes more sense for me trail riding than CR500 motor.
formerly Marc.com

Tony T

Re: CRM 250AR
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:28:05 pm »
I was just thinking about these today!  ;D
Very interesting bike. Were they ever imported to Oz?
Here's one I shot at the Safari in about '93 I think.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:42:49 pm »
Yes Tony, they were imported to Aus by Honda. I know this because I have 2 of them for sale at the moment! ;D Check out the Discount Motorcycle Wreckers dealer page on Just Bikes site (unashamed plug for me 8)) And they do go well........blew my hat clean off my head!
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Tony T

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:15:45 pm »
Well bugger me...........  (figure of speech!!)  ;D ;D
You'd reckon cos they were something different, that they might be worth something one day?

On another subject, is that a KLR600 behind one of the CRM's? If so, how complete is it?
Send me a pm, Paul. Rather than clutter up the CRM thread.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:17:04 pm »
i did a trail ride a few years back with AMTRA and the trail leader had 2 of these bikes, he was about 63 and rode all day like a a kid with a new toy. i had enough by 130k's on this hot day and he was asking who wanted to do another loop of 60k's  8)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:44:04 pm »
Hoony, may well be his bikes. I got them together and apparently he purchased the last new one available from Honda as a replacement for them because he liked the model so much. :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:57:10 pm by Canam370 »
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:18:56 pm »
Great project Marc!

I figured they'd be a good thing - like a softer-core RMX but without the power valve dramas - but they're all so bloody expensive compared to other things you could buy.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:47 pm »
Had one of those a while ago mine was a late 90's with purple rims. Full rego Honda Australia ADR...
i put a pro ccy pipe on it, that made it come alive. still have the old pipe for it..
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:31 pm »
A friend has just finished a CR cylinder conversion for a CRM. Owner sold off all the  Mugen crap which financed the CR cylinder/long rod/Programmable Ignition. NOTHING about the CRM is common with any other Honda, will be a good thing now we have 'de-Honda-ed' it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2k8rry1XWQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 07:31:31 am »
A friend has just finished a CR cylinder conversion for a CRM. Owner sold off all the  Mugen crap which financed the CR cylinder/long rod/Programmable Ignition. NOTHING about the CRM is common with any other Honda, will be a good thing now we have 'de-Honda-ed' it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2k8rry1XWQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In Japan they are still really popular. I have the full wiring loom etc, as the AR is unique engine.... plus gives my trail bike lights from the get go.  I know it sounds a bit poofy but looking for something other than the CR250s power delivery, CRM AR is known for bottom end torque like a 4 stroke, also fuel economy.

Roller is 2008 CR450 with steering damper that arrived without the wheels for $650. Was Motard that went boom.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 10:12:21 am »
They are a nice looking bike, and I'd be happy with one in my shed. They pop up on ebay surprisingly often too (the AR and the earlier versions).

Tex

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 10:43:49 pm »
Would you believe that the A R stands for Activated Radical... Go the Japs. I miss my one when i am on long rides. It was mega comfortable compared to my next bike which was a regoed yz250 and then a EXCE.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 11:20:56 pm »
I believe there was an Activated Radical Special Edition as well...

Tex

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 11:25:19 pm »
 :D

There was a Mugen version - is that what you're talking about?  ;D

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 08:33:46 am »
I believe there was an Activated Radical Special Edition as well...
Tex

Yeah you see a bit of Mugen stuff kicking about in Japan for them still, it is popular bike still in Japan....the owners dress in MX gear and ride about town standing up. ::)

Even the throttle is quite unique.... has 3 cables coming out, one for the carb and 2 for the oil pump. CDI senses head temperature and controls the power valve with throttle position and head temp as  parameters. The AR is much more like the 2002 onward CR250 engine.
formerly Marc.com