Author Topic: Personal bike transporter - what's yours and what's best?  (Read 9031 times)

gerpster

Personal bike transporter - what's yours and what's best?
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:13:54 pm »
Was wondering what everyone uses for getting their bikes to and from events and what ya reckon is the best way to go?   ???
I currently use the old box trailer (6x4) which is a bit small    ::)     so am considering the options...bigger box trailer, custom trailer, ute, van, something else???

Was thinking that a van might be a good idea so i can sleep in it overnight at events etc. Only prob seems to be that vans are on the expensive side due to popularity with trades etc and anything of an 80s vintage has been well used and abused. Hmmm.    :-\

So what do you use and what's best for you?      ???

Re: Personal bike transporter - what's yours and what's best?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:30:24 pm »
I think vans are great.
I had one up to about 8 months ago. Now i have an enclosed trailer which is good too as you can secure everything, same as the van.Everything is out of the weather. An enclosed 3 bike trailer tends to be worth a minimum of $3 big ones.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 11:55:31 pm »
I have a ute but it has bucket seats so if I bring the kids it makes it hard so I made a box trailer its first trip is to CD5 so I hope it makes it because it will have 2 or 3 bikes in it.So if any of you blokes see a dickhead on the side of the road with a rooted trailer that will be me  :-[ jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:39:05 pm »
One more vote for the van.  Always secure, great to shelter in from the rain in your muddy gear, don't have to unload if you get home late.  Got mine on e-bay for $3500 2 years ago, driven it every day since.  Wish it had air-con though.  Has fold-up rear seat so the dog can see out.  Still can't back a trailer worth a damn.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:19:59 pm »
to get it all in one is difficult. i'm not a big fan of trailers but it just suits my lifestyle at present. i've been using a clapped out 6x4 box but now with more than one bike to ride it's getting moved out to pasture as i'm building an 8x5 flat tray with a box on the A frame for all the goodies. should be ready for the trip down to CD5. i'm going for the flat tray cause i like to wash my bikes on the trailer and this way the dirt won't settle and rust out the floor, it can still take my rubbish to the dump and who the hell wants to cart topsoil in a trailer anyway?
"flat bickie"

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 01:20:23 pm »
A van and a trailer, that way I can get so much gear and crap to a meeting that I never need and it takes me 2 weeks to unload  ::)

My Van with the trailer and Danny's Bedford.  I think we had 7 bikes 5 riders and all the gear that goes with a weekend away.

My Hiace super custom ltd van has air conditioning front and back, 3lt turbo diesel cruising with a trailer at 130k no problem(I just dont wont to get the speeding ticket), a built in thermos hot/cold box with ice maker and 1lt jug for making coffees on the way. The seats in the back swivel around which makes for changing in and out of your ride gear very easy. The back seats can fold down to make a bed. The front seats are bucket style seats and all the seats arent that crappy vinyl, they are material and the back of the van has carpet throughout. The rear doors are motorised so the shut properly and dont rattle. It has 3 sun roofs that are controlled electrically and all have roof sliders so the sun doesnt come in when you dont want it too. It doesnt ride like a van either because of the independant coil spring rear end and of cause power steering and electric windows. When it is raining my gear isnt getting wet and noone can steal it off the back like a ute.

For summing up, I think a van is the way to go. I can carry 4 people and 1 bike inside with all the gear and a trailer on the back has 3 more bikes. If I dont want to take a trailer I can always remove the seats and take 2 people, 2 bikes and all the gear.
I always like an extra person with me so they can make the coffee on the way.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:50:53 pm by DJRacing »
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline RM Ted

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 06:56:17 pm »
I JUST GOT A BIKE TRAILER GIVEN TO ME.I HAVE BEING LOOKING AROUND FOR A CHEAPY TO FIX UP.A RESPRAY,SOME LIGHTS AND REGO AND AWAY I GO.I HAVE BEING USING THE OLDMANS UTE UNTIL NOW.
1978 rm 125 x 3
1981 rm 125
1987 rm 125

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 12:57:34 am »
XF ute. Not sexy, but dollar for dollar, nothing beats it. It will get you there at the speed limit, in a fair degree of comfort, and - the way I figure it - that's all that matters.

A new XR6 ute would be high on the shopping list if we ever win Lotto, but in the meantime the only threat to the XF's supremacy is some sort of mum-wagon...

I should also admit that the ute is my wife's.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 10:26:19 am »
I have to agree with Nathan :o re: the XF ute. I owned one for 10 years and despite the occasional blown head gasket the dear old thing gave excellent service. They are reasonably comfortable (mine had a Ghia interior, air and power steer), and comfortably hold two bikes in the back and still have enough horsepower to tow a loaded 3 bike trailer. I sold the ute to racer Mark Peatman about 8 years ago and he's still got it today.
Even though the Jeep Cherokee (Mum wagon?) I now drive is the height of comfort and has ample power to tow my enclosed trailer, I surely miss the convenience of throwing a bike in the back of the ute. If I was a serious racer I'd go the VW or Iveco van route. I had an old SWB V4 Transit back when I was a serious racer and I could fit 4 bikes and all the gear into it. As long as there were no major hills on the journey it'd cruise happily at 100kph fully loaded. 

All Things 414

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:52:21 am »
VS ute and open two bike trailer when taking a couple of bikes. I don't mind having the old bikes in the open and watch the older blokes nearly twist there heads off as they go past in the family wagon loaded up with screaming shit-machines.
The switched on theives know what are in those enclosed trailers and I find they end up being filled up with shit that you can't find anywhere else for.
I have the bikes locked to the trailer, trailer locked to the ute (one of those proper tow-bar locks) and a wheel lock for the trailer if we're so much as stopping for a piss.

mx250

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 11:16:38 am »
Its a very personalised choice but don't forget the Twin cab.

I've got a 20 yo 600,000klms Navara twin cab fourbee and I've never had a more reliable versatile vehicle. I've put three trailies in the back (yes, it was a squeeze and, no, I wouldn't put three resto's in there  ;)).

It has also towed a 6 bike trailer - I moved 9 trailies in total, and no I didn't break any speed records and yes, I did brake early, slowly and progressively ;)

And been a fourbee it has been used to recover few bodies  :D and bikes from deep in the bush.

You might have more class then me (20 yo 600,000klms multi-coloured Navara twin cab fourbee - my 'science experiment - seeing how far it will go). Maybe something more like this is your style  8) ;D (remember to tie down those bikes well though ::))

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:05:04 pm »
I currently have an 8 x 5 with one of those bike mount racks in the front for the wheels (Smart Arse designs!!) - comfortably fit 3 bikes and some gear in it but dont like it all being open.  I added a box to the front for fuel, tools etc which is handy but I am looking at an enclosed bike trailer with the hinged roof.  I want to mount tent/annexe points to the side where the door will go and canvas around the hinge opening so can sleep either in or beside it - weather is pretty good for that in the west.  Add a slide out fridge and generator and a fold down BBQ and it will be home away from home!!!   ;D ;D

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 09:54:48 pm »
another vote for vans,i've had vans all my racing years,started with a kombi,was bastard with long wheel based bikes,(usually took a f/wheel off!!),Datsun Homer,brief flirtation with bongos!,(used to put 1200 coupe mtrs inem 8),then about 4 urvans,now running med w/base,mid roof transit with V6 dunnydoor mtr,hills do not exist  ::),(records 6 r/race bikes to Tassie classic nats  ;D),everythings inside,don't get rained on,can't be seen,looks like 5 million other white vans,(apart from stickers on back windows),no reversing probs,pain to park in soopermarkets but! ;),cheers  :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 06:34:55 pm »
68 Falcon ute. Ya gotta be period.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 07:39:39 pm »
Crash it would be bloody great if the petrol prices were period  ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer