Author Topic: Personal bike transporter - what's yours and what's best?  (Read 9032 times)

Offline Trav Man

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Personal bike transporter - what's yours and what's best?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 09:58:26 am »
I built this about 2 years ago while I was travelling for work with the wife in tow so I could carry the road bike and all our gear we needed and am now using it for the dirt bike and can fit 3 bikes in there with all the camping and riding gear  ;D
Oh and I made it as a box trailer with a removable canopy so it can be removed if required for whatever purpose  ;)
Current Rides:
1982 PE250Z http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=20714.0
2007 GSX1400 The Beast

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 10:18:23 am »
Saw a bloke towing his MX'er today behind his 4wd. Literally. Front end of the bike sat in a holder on the rear bumper and the bikes rear wheel sat on the road and just rolled along. Cant say that it would do the gearbox bearings or knobby any good. Wouldn't use this arrangement on anything but suburban speed limits.................... :-\
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline marsman

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 11:27:59 am »
How long is a piece of string ??? ... but for me I always go for the biggest bang for bucks and sheer allround practicality  :-\...... so for me I have chosen the often overlooked big floater ;D.. a ford wagon .... from EA to BA  have owned four of them now.. you can buy them cheap.. a real (6ft) bloke and his missus can sleep in the back comfortably , it can tow a big trailer and five peeps EASY!.. cheap as chips for parts etcetc ;).
"I know I was fast once ; but I just can't remember when"

vmxmad

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 12:17:09 pm »
There could be only one way to fix your problem have a chat to John at Let It Ride Floats & Trailer but if you find a old Bedford like the one Mert had in On Any Sunday let me know how cool would it be.

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 01:02:59 pm »

Like you Marsman we use a Holden wagon or Toy landcruiser as we usualy leave home
      on the Saterday and camp over.I tow a 2/3 bike trailer or if were going camping with 2
      bikes i take the 7x5 box trailer . may have to get the plans off you Trav that looks real
      neat..

Poppy..

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 01:37:44 pm »
 My first tow car was a '36 ford V8 [no brakes] and I made a little bracket bolted to the tow bar which would take the front axle of my 500 AJay.
 Throw the front wheel in the boot and away you go!
 Two probs with this scheme made me save up for a trailer. First shock when I saw another ajay in the pits that got there the same way but the bottom broke of a fork leg! I made sure I roped the handle bars down to the bumper bar for the trip home.
  Then the cops decided that we could all be booked for towing an unregistered and unroadworthy 'trailer'
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 03:13:46 pm »
93 mazda bravo dual cab with alloy tray off a single cab.fits 3 full size bikes with eeze plenty of room between bikes for fuel cans fold up ramp and other stuff.esky and all our gear plus  3 of us fit inside easy its got nearly 400.000k's andnever given a spot of trouble.cheers

Bioflex

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 07:18:04 pm »
I have a van which was originally bought to haul bikes, but I've since have wisened up and purchsed a trailer.
While vans are great for security, mean better economy (as you aren't towing anything) they do have some big compromises.

Getting bikes in and out is a pain in the ass, it is hard to tie bikes down while in a van, and if you van is half decent and you like to carry people around at other times, dirty smelly bikes and gear soon spoil it.

Don't get me wrong, vans are great, you can get changed in them, store heaps of gear and put bikes in them when needed, for regular bike transport I'd recommend a ute or van + trailer combo though.