Author Topic: There's that figure again....  (Read 5832 times)

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
There's that figure again....
« on: March 22, 2008, 05:36:30 pm »
Seems like $12,000 is a popular buying price these days.

Item 220213019774 on US ebay.

It's nice and I do like Hodies but......

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
Re: There's that figure again....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 05:48:08 pm »
It does look nice.
$12k though? you'd have to be a collector.
Mind you,  it's prob a good bet considering the rest of the world economy woes..
The price basically doubled between Thursday and Friday.
Hopefully the seller is happy and completes the transaction.....

husky61

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 06:05:03 pm »
Hey Ken

Nice bike , like to be owning that one , but as you say $12,000 USD ooooh.

Still whats its worth if you really , really want it.

A very close friend of mine had one when we were kids, brand spanking new.

The other guy's in the group i grew up with had 125 or 175 yamaha's and my mate Glen's dad bought him a wombat combat because he knew a guy that imported them and got a good deal. My mate Glen was really happy or stoked as we said in the day as it looked real trick and nobody else had one . In all the years we rode at Menia  on the outskirts of Sydney when we were kids we only saw two other Womies as we called them. Gleno still go's by the nick name's WOMBAT or COMMY.
You had to be a bit careful riding it as it was very easy to bang your nuts on the tank. (See picture and its quite obvious why)

Great bike. I think i might get on the phone and see how the Commy is.  MMMM $13,200.00AUD :o :o :o

firko

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 06:19:05 pm »
I actually raced that bikes twin brother back in '74. I fitted Maico forks, trick Poppy Konis on an alloy swingarm, a genuine Harry Taylor snail pipe, a modified Honda DG Head, Wassell alloy tank and other crazy shit. The end result was the worlds trickest slow bike. Damn it I loved that little bike but in the end I succumbed to the ribbing from my mates and sold it for a monumental loss. I'm currently converting the original tank off it into a toaster for CD6.

12k for a stock Combat Wombat?? Nah, but these figures don't offend me as much as they used to. If someone wants to spend that money that's cool if they're happy. At least it's not advertised as a Wheelsmith Works Bike.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:23:46 pm by firko »

mx250

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 08:30:11 pm »
A lovely restored and detailed bike but that price is insane  ::).

But keep it going guys, I need for this hobby to finance my retirement  8) ;D.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:08:27 am »
And I sold three tandem car trailer loads of Hodakas and parts to Ray Ryan for........$700............ But so thats is history and I had  heaps of enjoyment and heart ache with the little turds for years prior. 48 tanks went to Ray ,I still had some 21 left that I gave to other collectors or made into various items like flower pots ,a letter box and one    a       chamber potty...... :D
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 06:27:06 am »
And I sold three tandem car trailer loads of Hodakas and parts to Ray Ryan for........$700............ But so thats is history and I had  heaps of enjoyment and heart ache with the little turds for years prior. 48 tanks went to Ray ,I still had some 21 left that I gave to other collectors or made into various items like flower pots ,a letter box and one    a       chamber potty...... :D
69 tanks  :o I didn't think that many Hodakas came into Oz  ;D....and you had 69 of them  :P. I have never evn had 69 spark plugs at one time and that would be including 4 operating 4 wheeled vehicles, all bikes and any spare plugs  ;D.

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 07:13:36 am »
Mark, that sounds like one very cool Hodaka you had and raced in '74.  Paradoxically, it's a far more modified and trick bike OVERALL than the Hodaka I race now when I'm in the US but which I seemingly wouldn't be allowed to race here in pre '75 because it has an 'illegal' swingarm.  Yours no doubt had a tubular alloy swingarm whereas mine is not.

And Tim, I have to agree with mx250, 69 tanks is pushing the envelope of sanity!

Ken

firko

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 08:04:06 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by illegal Ken. Not having a piccy of the Hodaka you rode in the US handy I wouldn't know the circumstances. Mine would be legal in the sense that it was built by me in '74 but illegal because I wouldn't have any photgraphic evidence today to prove its heritage and it had too much rear travel anyway. That bike should have been sponsored by State Rail as it was mostly built in the workshops at Chullora ::)

Can you get that Bully info to me ASAP please mate?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:07:09 am by firko »

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 08:34:38 am »
Mine would presumably be deemed illegal as it has a Novation swingarm, that were given the thumbs down in a different thread for pre '75.

As for the Bully info, I'll email you about that, it's not a forum topic - over and out.

Ken

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 01:00:54 pm »
Insane of course I collected Hodakas for years when they were scrap only items :D Had more than 69 tanks,  most of them were sad ,rusty, chrome peeling, dented. All the colours, Chrome, green white and orange in small and large caps ,small and large capacities. Must locate a photo of them hanging around the shed like fat fruit bats :o  Shite I have noticed that I have 23 SL100/125 tanks........... ::) $12000.00  in Ramseys words  F**K ME!!!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:04:22 am by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 10:12:39 pm »
At last one that is not $12000  ebay item number 160221347989    ............................................ XR200  ::)
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:50:24 pm »
At last one that is not $12000  ebay item number 160221347989    ............................................ XR200  ::)

Nice bike for a museum piece at HALF the price
Ban BLACK rims NOW

mx250

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 05:25:06 am »
Remarkable, what sort of moron buys a bike like this and leaves it to gather dust - don't tell me the bought it as an investment ::). But it will be still interesting to watch for the eventual price. Starting at $10,000 and 'Reserve Not Meet'; that sets the tone  ;) :D .

But not to worry, "IF RESERVE NOT MET .WE MAY TALK WITH HIGHEST BIDDER". Anyone want to take bets that there will be no bidders  ;D.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160221347989&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com.au%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D%2B160221347989%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

May you live in interesting times  ;D.