Author Topic: Simons for pre 78?  (Read 54667 times)

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Simons for pre 78?
« Reply #240 on: March 03, 2012, 02:13:12 am »
lets see if we can make this meaningfull thread go 20 pages ;D1 page of useful information which i like and the rest just plain shite :o :D this is why i stopped going to local bike club meetings and stopped paying membership fees

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2012, 08:14:24 am »
lets see if we can make this meaningfull thread go 20 pages ;D1 page of useful information which i like and the rest just plain shite :o :D this is why i stopped going to local bike club meetings and stopped paying membership fees
because of the crap that goes on on this forum? Or because of people scruintinising your bike. Sounds like a story to me.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 03, 2012, 09:49:30 am »
Hi Simo, look forward to meeting you. We must move in the same circles. This comment applies to a lot of posts on this forum.I fully understand the time constraints for busy people, but to write a submission to your club re a rule change would take a lot less time than has been spent on this topic on this forum.
We hope to see your entry shortly.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 03, 2012, 10:05:04 am »
HB - I have been checked for eligibility at scrutineering?

Maybe it was just me  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Taka 100

« Reply #244 on: March 03, 2012, 10:19:20 am »
to Simo63 hope this helps:-
2 You can PM David on this forum
3 Ordinary licence holders like you and I (having common sence or not) can initiate change. After all that's how Pre78 came about in the first place.The suspension rule (good or bad) has been there since inception of the class.A bit late to be huffing and puffing about the rule three months out from an event.
4 It is unlikely you"ll be called on to prove eligibility unless there's a protest (which is also unlikely).In spite of all the froth and bubble on this forum, in recent times those protested have generally been trying it on.Sometimes a protest can clear the air.For example Tony Cavelles 250 Pre65 BSA was legitimately protested in Tas. re engine capacity.It was torn down and found to be kosher.A lot of Noise went on about people who protest, but in fact it cleared the air, stopped all back of the pits mumbling and showed how good dad Bert's bike prep was and how good a rider Tony was.
It would be a shame if you let this prevent you participating, but only you will lose by it.Pehaps you could help us out as a flaggy if you don't ride.

Thanks for your advice super senior 50.  I'm not sure what difference it will make but I will PM "Dave" tonight if I get the chance (still at my 2nd job and just taking a break so might not get the chance).  Is his ID just Dave or is it DaveTanner or something else?

To be honest with a full time day job plus owning and operating 2 Franchised Pizza outlets 7 days a week (plus family with 3 kids etc) I don't have time to get involved in politics or clubs or much at all. In fact I'm lucky to find time to go for a ride (still miffed that I am going to miss QVMX sign on this weekend #$@^) so whilst I agree in principle with what you are saying re making changes, I'm neither inclined nor able to spend the time doing that.  However happy to support in any way that I can but it is easier for me to just change the bike.  I've already detailed in a previous post how I was more shocked that the bike I purchased specifically for pre 78 wasn't stricly legal in pre 78 ... and I acknowledged that was due to my ignorance and lack of research (Who would of thought you had to research to see if a pre 78 model bike actually complied with pre 78 class rules .. like I said before, the irony is just a bit much for me at times) but I'm glad that I found out now and not at scrutineering in a few months time.

Having said that though, I musn't be alone with my concerns as I've had a couple of requests from people I don't know (not hard I don't know many in this scene) looking for Brent's tips on lowering a YZ250D to make it class legal.  So I guess I'm not alone with my ignorance or concerns.  Of course if I wanted to try and cheat I wouldn't give a toss but I don't so that is why, only a few months out from the event .. one which I only found out about 2 weeks ago because I'm not enough into the scene and too busy, I'm "huffing and puffing" about my not class legal suspension .. although I didn't think I was actually huffing and puffing but I accept that from some perspectives it might appear that way.  Sorry for that.

So at the end of the day I'll either reduce the suspension travel to 9 inches or just not enter.  I certainly won't show up with an illegal bike and run the risk despite the fact that I agree with you that I won't be protested.  I doubt I would be protested either but it's more the getting through scrutineering that concerns me particularly after 69ers comments.

Anyway enough from me on this, I've got pizzas to make so back to the original question .. what was that again?  Oh yeah something about Gene Simmons??

that starts a whole new subject favourite pizza's  mine from the 70's was the pizza hut in mayfield  peperoni on thin base with a sub on the side and a beer , now it is a pepperoni with anchovies and black olives and a little bit of chilli from dominoes at port macquarie , back in the 70's i had a durodenal ulcer now my gut is fine 'work that out' more spicy food now than then go figure ??? man i miss those pizza huts it was a great night out

211kawasaki

« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »
Ladies
Can I end this crap with a few short words
1/ Simmons Forks - I personally dont think so but Im happy to be wrong as I know its on the cusp of 77/78. I would need to see 1977 material in support of them to be sure and IM not going to look for it.
2/ Pre 78 is the only strict "era" class in VMX. It seeks to recreate a period in the sport of dramatic change and the bikes are really between the pre 75 stuff and later LTR - they sit in their patch on their own. The history of how it came to the rule book is that the Whitsunday dirt riders put it up and the states supported it. The rules were coppied in the early pre 2012 GCRs from the AHRMA almost word for word. Pre 78 works, the rules are simple and have been unchanged since day 1. For the guys who want 10" of travel I say bad luck, there are guys in the class with 6.5 (me included) if you want to ride the class look at the rules and make your bike fit.
3/ for me personally there are no excuses for not being involved; In your club where ever you are there will be 3-5 guys doing all the work and this applies to the nationals this year that Col and I and a bunch of BMCC guys are running, and just about every other aspect of our sport is no different. If the guys who winge on this forum spent a tenth of their time doing something more positive for the sport it would be a better thing. We are ALL busy! Start a productive thread, think about being constructive for the sport - this shit just turns people off this forum and the sport.
4/ get the rule book out, turn to section 18 and look for the class your wanting to compete in; its all there and really basic!
Dave Tanner

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 03, 2012, 03:40:07 pm »
well said dave

Simo63

« Reply #247 on: March 03, 2012, 04:55:31 pm »
Dave, I thought about sending you a PM but thought better of it as I have already determined that I will either lower my suspension or not ride however now you have posted here I fell obliged to respond.  I agree with some and disagree with some of what you have said however instead of continuing my responses to this thread and wasting not only my time but everyone elses, I will spend what little spare time I have modifying my bike's suspension so I can satisfy the requirements of the class.  In other words, no more from me.

As an aside, I've never had a rule book for any class of racing I have done over the years.  Maybe that makes me different/weird/stupid or just plain ignorant but I've never sought to understand the complete technical aspects of the sport, preferring just to ride and have fun.  I wonder if there are others out there like me?

Anyway I guess it's a sad sign of the times we live in that today I will look to obtain my very first set.  Not even sure where to look but I guess google is a good start.

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 03, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »
You can download the MoMS here: http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=142
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2012, 05:33:56 pm »
As an aside, I've never had a rule book for any class of racing I have done over the years.  Maybe that makes me different/weird/stupid or just plain ignorant but I've never sought to understand the complete technical aspects of the sport, preferring just to ride and have fun.  I wonder if there are others out there like me?

Anyway I guess it's a sad sign of the times we live in that today I will look to obtain my very first set.  Not even sure where to look but I guess google is a good start.
You get a current rule book everytime you renew your MA licence.

Simo63

« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2012, 05:42:07 pm »
You can download the MoMS here: http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=142

Thanks mboddy, will download a set and start reading

You get a current rule book everytime you renew your MA licence.

Thanks JohhnyO but because I only get to ride one or two events per year (as I've said previously in this thread I'm just too busy unfortunately) I just purchase a day license.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:30:37 pm by Simo63 »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2012, 07:50:26 pm »
because I only get to ride one or two events per year (as I've said previously in this thread I'm just too busy unfortunately) I just purchase a day license.

I hope you realise you can't just rock up on the day and buy a day licence.
This is a National Championship race and as such it is run as an open event.
The one day licence for this event if you go that way has to be organised something like a month in advance, it can't be done on the day like a club day.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

211kawasaki

« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2012, 08:03:22 pm »
Good advice

Simo63

« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2012, 08:38:51 pm »
because I only get to ride one or two events per year (as I've said previously in this thread I'm just too busy unfortunately) I just purchase a day license.

I hope you realise you can't just rock up on the day and buy a day licence.
This is a National Championship race and as such it is run as an open event.
The one day licence for this event if you go that way has to be organised something like a month in advance, it can't be done on the day like a club day.

Yes Geoff I did realise that but (sincerely) thank you for that advice I got the same message when I joined the BMCC a few weeks back and at the riders briefing there was a discussion on this event .. which is exactly when I found out about this event .. sorry I'm just not up to speed with what's going on and, obviously, what bikes comply and what don't.  So I'm glad it was mentioned on that day otherwise I would not have known until you mentioned it. 

Just like I'm glad I read this thread otherwise I would have been completely ignorant of the issue of 9/9 altogether.

So yes I planned to send my entry away early with my license application ... provided of course I can get that weekend off.

EDIT: 18 pages now  ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:19:05 pm by Simo63 »

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 04, 2012, 12:44:37 pm »
Hmmmmmm? I was Happy 15 pages ago, Thanks Dave  ;D ;D ;D. So has anyone got mag adverts or brouchers to prove thay were available in 77. Thanks Birko.
Couple of CR`s