Author Topic: Simons for pre 78?  (Read 54767 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Simons for pre 78?
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2012, 08:12:49 pm »
Yeah Brent i agree with you about the travel limits and i'd rather have 10' front and rear like back in the day but it's easier to go with the flow and build it by the rules so i can race it with no hassles.
If it wasn't for rules i'd be building a 480 engined CR250RA for the Evo class! :)

Offline tmman

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2012, 08:35:23 pm »
hey johnny o any chance you can send me a close up pic of the chain tensioner,, i need to make one,,are they originally made by dg?? i,ve seen photo's of a few on dg arms.. thanks..

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2012, 09:23:01 pm »
It's a Protec tensioner mate they come up on ebay sometimes. I can send you a pic but i won't be near the bike for a few days so you'll have to remind me...

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »
I drool every time I see that RM John. It's as trick as they come without going overboard. Those Pro-Tec tensioner's are pretty good things. I found four of them in a clear out bin in a bike shop in Penrith a few years ago. They still come up on eBay from time to time.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2012, 10:12:23 pm »
Lozza its not the first time you have thrown out the log book sugestion .

I for one know sweet FA about log books , perhaps you could give us a detailed run down on how log books are used and how they would benefit Vintage MX .
Remember though that im sure im not the only one on here to whom log books are completly alien , so start at the begining  ;D

Probably best start a new thread on it though .

Pretty easy Bill the thrust or essence of it is the onus of proof of eligability is with the competitor/entrant, by having a log book someone has looked at your log book and bike and signed off that the bike matches the pic in the log book. Mind this is not really a issue at club level more aimed at crushing eligability related protests at National titles.
I'll give you a couple of examples,remember I pestered a you for pics of a RA 125's racing in 1980. What I was trying to establish was that a full floater water cooled RM125 raced in 1980. That would allow the build of a Period 5 road race bike based on the RA125. Doc had a mag dated March 1980 with a pic of such a bike. 'Suz125' rang Ross Martin and explained this is what we want to do, Ross said that was fine by him so long as we had the proof that such a bike raced within the period. The exercise became moot when the cut off date change to 1982.Another time I rang Ross and said I have a lot of evidence a model was freely available in 1990 though being a designated a 1991 model. Ross asked what were the changes to that model, I outlined the changes and got a firm NO. The baseline rule was 'Is it a big enough difference to make a difference?' if yes then the application would have been unsuccessful, even though it meets the criteria for pre90 racing.So before we built the bike we made sure we were going to comply with the rules.
So what happens when you send away for a log book, someone who might not know anything about VMX looks at your log book application and your evidence and says yes or no. If you have a stock bike , the application will just say , "as per showroom" or completely standard. If you have modified the shit out of it you list the modifiactions and show proof that the modifactions are within the rules and period, IF there is a eligability protest the log book is the first thing checked, if your bike is not as per the log book, well I'm sure you can join the dots.
Fact is it has stamped out 99.99% of eligability issues with HRR.
So lets look at the example of Johnny O's RM with the Simonds forks, if Johnny applies with a swag of magazine articles with adverts, race reports, pics and tests using these forks. That is good enough, however if the rule states no more than 9 in travel Johnny would have to show a pic/drawing of how he limited the travel. Log book granted.So if that bike goes to the Nats and someone protests that it has more travel than 9 in, it is very quickly and easily sorted. Either it has or hasn't, either it complies with the log book or does not. There is no grey area. Not many have stumped up the protest fee after log books were introduced , due to the fact any protester is arguing with someone who made a judgement on the evidence that was presented. Also just because someone else gets a log book with a trick part does not mean that component is automaticaly eligable each and every applicant must present their own evidence if they want to use that component.
Main thing is there is no debate, no yeah but's.. Log Book= Period eligable. 

Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2012, 10:40:17 pm »
Period correct and um legal.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2012, 10:46:31 pm »
Period correct and um legal.

Hate to be a pain in the arse but it is period correct but according to the rules not legal . The rules say early model Simons and also not bigger than 38 mm , if those forks were legal the rules would say not bigger than 38.1 mm.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2012, 10:50:58 pm »
I still don't get you. They are 38mm

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:53 pm »
They're actually 1.5 inches.. American built and a fraction over 38mm..! ;)

Offline tmman

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2012, 11:21:32 pm »
the maniac is beein facetious but also obviously correct as the good ol us of a is imperial remember so convert 1.5inch to metric n i'll be 38.1 rules say 38 .. who's checkin anyway..

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2012, 11:35:11 pm »
  ::) You can't be serious.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2012, 11:42:57 pm »
We won't tell anyone... :D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2012, 07:59:41 am »
I drool every time I see that RM John. It's as trick as they come without going overboard.

Needs a decent swingarm ;D.... are those Simons ignition covers pre 78

formerly Marc.com

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2012, 08:38:05 am »
I drool every time I see that RM John. It's as trick as they come without going overboard.

Needs a decent swingarm ;D.... are those Simons ignition covers pre 78

Fark..What's that thing connected to the back wheel that the shocks are bolted to, looks like part of the Sydney Harbour Bridge!! ;D
Very nice bike Marc.. good job :)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:17 am »

simple question Brad .Are those forks early Simons with 9" travel and not more than 38mm in diam . Or did you modify them to restrict the travel to 9" travel and are they over 38mm ?