Author Topic: Simons for pre 78?  (Read 54761 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Simons for pre 78?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 04:13:31 pm »
I'm pretty sure all the Simons forks are the same other than the amount of travel. I've got a set of 11" travel Simons that are still 38mm, maybe the stanchions are longer but I could still restrict them to 9" travel and use them.
length of the dampening rod is the only difference. I had three sets apart at once to compare.

QUOTE :-
c) 35mm leading-axle Husqvarna and Betor forks are allowed, provided travel is limited to a maximum of 9 inches. Early 9-inch-travel Simons forks are allowed. Fox Factory Forks are prohibited.

d) 38mm is the maximum diameter of fork tube allowed for the Historic classes. -: un quote

it doesn't say Simons forks provided travel is limited ,like it does for Husky and Betors(should include Marzocchi)
Its says early simons with 9" travel and its says that 38mm is the max.
The forks being discussed here are 1.5" diam and originally came in a 10" version not 9"
MXA JUNE 77 Qoute:-the travel is a fully controlled 10" with provisions for an increase in the future to 11 or 12 inches......(goes on ) forks are 1 and a half inches in diameter.This is slightly larger than 38mm and the largest in the industry. un quote.
I missed a set of early Simons on ebay a few years ago, they were 9" travel versions with 1" 3/8 tubes and less extended past the axle.

TM BILL

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 04:41:32 pm »
IS my 79 SWM ok for pre 78 if i put 77 forks in ,so  if it look likes the 77 model?

Can't see that being a problem , as long as your over 70 and accompanied by both parents to events  ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 05:08:43 pm »
The forks being discussed here are 1.5" diam and originally came in a 10" version not 9"
MXA JUNE 77 Qoute:-the travel is a fully controlled 10" with provisions for an increase in the future to 11 or 12 inches......(goes on ) forks are 1 and a half inches in diameter.This is slightly larger than 38mm and the largest in the industry. un quote.

Hmm 1.5" eh, that changes everything, anyways whether they are 38 or 38.1mm seems like the Simons were available in 77. Plus Simons seems to have had a few dampening dampening rod lengths available, I have a pair that have 9" of travel, not sure if they are a custom dealio or original rods. But I would say they are legal.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 05:19:48 pm »
LOG BOOKS  ::)
Jesus only loves two strokes

TM BILL

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 05:38:16 pm »
Lozza its not the first time you have thrown out the log book sugestion .

I for one know sweet FA about log books , perhaps you could give us a detailed run down on how log books are used and how they would benefit Vintage MX .
Remember though that im sure im not the only one on here to whom log books are completly alien , so start at the begining  ;D

Probably best start a new thread on it though .

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 05:50:53 pm »

whats the point of a log book? the rules say "regardless of original specification"

I think one reason that the pre 78 isn't more popular is because people are not allowed to build up a bike that mimics the state of the art in that period .In the EVO class you can do as much as you want for the period and end up with the trickest bike of what ever model you have .The pre 78 class doesnt have too many trick bikes because they have taken regs that were originally for a specification regulated class and applied it to a period regulated class. Doesn't work for me . I just read the 77 Hangtown race report where privateers , Ritcher,Wise and Ogden kicked butt .Guess what? Today those bikes , not works bikes, stock bikes fitted with state of the art components are not legal for pre 78 competition. To my liking the 76/77 period was one of the most interesting times for trick bikes but we dont see too many restored versions out there today.

TM BILL

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 06:57:17 pm »

whats the point of a log book? the rules say "regardless of original specification"

I think one reason that the pre 78 isn't more popular is because people are not allowed to build up a bike that mimics the state of the art in that period .In the EVO class you can do as much as you want for the period and end up with the trickest bike of what ever model you have .The pre 78 class doesnt have too many trick bikes because they have taken regs that were originally for a specification regulated class and applied it to a period regulated class. Doesn't work for me . I just read the 77 Hangtown race report where privateers , Ritcher,Wise and Ogden kicked butt .Guess what? Today those bikes , not works bikes, stock bikes fitted with state of the art components are not legal for pre 78 competition. To my liking the 76/77 period was one of the most interesting times for trick bikes but we dont see too many restored versions out there today.

Absolutley +1  :)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2012, 07:05:19 pm »

Here is my pre '78 RM.. i built it up with a lot of aftermarket parts from the era and no one has ever protested it because it's 100% legal. There's nothing stopping anyone else from doing the same

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2012, 07:18:15 pm »
Very nice bike
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2012, 07:26:43 pm »

Absolutley +1  :)
Happy Valentines day TM , I don't feel so lonely now :-*

Offline tmman

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2012, 07:29:09 pm »
forks??????

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2012, 07:30:22 pm »
Very nice bike

Ha thers always an exception , nice bike for sure JO

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2012, 07:38:56 pm »
forks??????
They are RM125B forks with a Fox kit limited to 9" travel..

TM BILL

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2012, 07:41:34 pm »
That is a lovley example of one of my favorite models  :) looks even better in the flesh :)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2012, 07:51:10 pm »
forks??????
They are RM125B forks with a Fox kit limited to 9" travel..

ie . detuned to 9" . Steve Wise's stock forked SX RM 250 had a fork kit and foxshox and swingarm for about 10" travel, 10.5 in the final 77 version .His 77 Cliff White CR125 had 10" and 10.5 .
Any stock 77 250/400 YZ has more than 9" , with a period correct alum swingarm ( 35mm longer) it has even more .