Author Topic: Metisse selection  (Read 47996 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Metisse selection
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 06:52:18 pm »
Here's another Micro Metisse engine swap...this one a with Suzuki TM250 power. As I said elsewhere, is there any engine that hasn't been fitted to the little Metisse?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 08:24:34 pm »
That would be a real good thing IMO

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 02:17:15 am »
That looks great.  Looks like a factory job.  Really well done.  Front end wants picking up a little?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 12:21:25 pm »
Another Micro Metisse engine swap...this one with a Triumph Tiger Cub engine. It's not exactly my choice of motor but each to his own I guess ::)

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 03:18:58 pm »
Does the Tiger Cub have links to Ducati or is it my imagination??

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 09:29:40 pm »
Another Micro Metisse engine swap...this one with a Triumph Tiger Cub engine. It's not exactly my choice of motor but each to his own I guess ::)

That's a really pretty bike.  But OMG what were they on when they made that pipe?  Sort the pipe out and it will finish the bike of nicely.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 08:19:06 am »
Here's another Micro Metisse engine swap...this one a with Suzuki TM250 power. As I said elsewhere, is there any engine that hasn't been fitted to the little Metisse?

That looks soooo good!

Looks to me like it uses the VR-engined frame & RM engine.

Shame really cos it makes the exercise rather pointless, at least for competition use.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:12:29 am by JC »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 01:20:19 pm »
I found this on Marks Swapmeet. It appears to be a Rickman Monty frame with an XL350 engine and Mk3 bodywork. It's a mystery to me as to how he actually got the Honda motor in there. I bought a Rickman Montesa frame specifically to build a similar bike but found that the Honda motor wouldn't fit without a lot of hacksaw and oxy work. Is there any engine's that haven't been fitted to these frames? I heard of a Zundapp version fitted with a Honda CB350 twin the other day. My mate's looking for the photos and I'll post 'em when and if they turn up.

FOR SALE
Ad # 3195125   May 19, 2012
Honda/Rickman MKIII replica XL350/410. Custom built, nickel plated, chrome-moly frame, new reproduction fiberglass, 410 venolia, MegaCycle needle bearing cam, billet Webster trans. gears, 38 Mikuni, total loss ignition, custom engine covers with modern oil filter, special clutch mechanism, and footpeg mounts, Bultaco wheels, Penton/Ceriani forks with billet clamps and emulators. Under 230 lbs, starts easy, sounds fantastic. Too many bikes, need to raise cash, lowered price. $5,000, $4,400 without Ohlins.

J.P. Morgen
San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.
Phone: 415 822-1315 | Email

http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=SnBx197VAdEw6etG&w=2

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 09:35:30 pm »
Amazing to fit a XL in there with that large gap to the tank

Alot of work to my eye looks like the main down tube has been replaced  with a large diameter and longer to get the larger work space

Just had to compare this to my rickman frame which has 38mm down tube diameter

Still a very nice job for the four stroke fans

cheers

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 09:10:10 pm »
That is an unusal frame.  Head stock style is Mk3 / Petite (Bultaco / Starmarker etc)  It isnt a 4 stroke MK3 frame as it would have an oil filler at the head stock, which is why I say it is a Petite style frame ie 2 stroke

The cradle is Montessa style.  The back bone of the frame on a Montessa frame wont accept the curvey bodywork.  Head stock definately isnt Montessa style.

Looks to be very well made and a nice choice of motor.

A very nice bike for someone.  Would love to know what it really is as I cant recall seeling a single down tube Metisse with that style headstock or bodywork fitted.....

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 10:24:07 pm »
It appears to be professionally done too Ben....nickel plating and neat welding and fabrication. I was originally thinking that it may be a Mk3 modified to single front downtube as the front downtube appears to be bigger in diameter to the stock Montesa Rickman. However, seeing that the bike's located in the USA I figured that the bike may a custom made job from one of the many frame builders that operated in the 60's/70's such as the great Harry Hindall. My guess is that the Honda Metisse came from the same workshop as the Triumph "Metisse" shown below that I uncovered during some research for an upcoming story.

Although it appears to be a run of the mill 650 Triumph Metisse MkIII, this bike is actually Skip Otto's Hindall 650 Triumph fitted with Metisse bodywork. Although it's hard to tell from the photo, this bike also seems to have a single front downtube like our Honda powered mystery bike.

albrid-3

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 07:41:23 am »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RICKMAN-METISSE-TRIUMPH-MK3-/320911422950?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item4ab7cfb5e6
This bike is on ebay at the moment, the bike was being raced last weekend at Barrabool, its Ray Fishers bike, it was also nice to see ray there too.

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 08:11:50 am »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RICKMAN-METISSE-TRIUMPH-MK3-/320911422950?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item4ab7cfb5e6
This bike is on ebay at the moment, the bike was being raced last weekend at Barrabool, its Ray Fishers bike, it was also nice to see ray there too.

phwar.  Propper job.  Stunner.  Can hear it now.  Nice.  Hope he has it on R or at the very least has some in the fuel.

Lovely!

(I have one that isnt being used, it's an orignal bike from New Milton, very similar spec in BRG, albeit mag forks, BTH electronic mag (£ouch).  Isnt being used and needs to be ridden.  Top end just rebuilt ready to ride.  F-P-R now realises that he is no longer a playboy and young kids means fun in muddy fields on sundays and spending every waking spare minute in the garage is a thing of the past... )

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 04:06:42 pm »
(I have one that isnt being used, it's an orignal bike from New Milton, very similar spec in BRG, albeit mag forks, BTH electronic mag (£ouch).  Isnt being used and needs to be ridden.  Top end just rebuilt ready to ride.  F-P-R now realises that he is no longer a playboy and young kids means fun in muddy fields on sundays and spending every waking spare minute in the garage is a thing of the past... )
Ben, how may bikes do you have? Cheneys, HL's, your beautiful  Curtis Honda and whatever else you have hidden in the Penny mancave. The boys will soon be a bit older and digging sitting on a stool watching Dad fiddle with his bikes. Don't do anything desperate such as selling your precious race tackle just yet!

What do you think of my Hindall theory based on the Triumph bike shown above?

BTW, our forums own Jim will soon be in your neck of the woods, he's on a plane to the Mother Country as we speak. Apparently he tried to contact you about catching up for a chat but didn't get a reply. He's planning on visiting the Antig factory and Jerry Lisi's Metisse  concern (I gave him my opinion of that little exercise) and I think he was wanting to catch up with other VMX oriented businesses in the area. He's got his laptop with him so you can catch him through the forum.

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 07:00:58 pm »
He did make contact and we have spoken.  Always good to meet up with travellers who come this way.

The BGR Metisse is the twin to #75 Ivor England 'works' bike so having two the same (albeit it Ivor's bike is Ivory) is a bit excessive (in a nice way!)

The man cave is not as big as I'd like it to be and is somewhat grid locked.  I have access to other storage, but there comes a time when you have to stop, take stock and think about what you are doing.  In my case, I have no idea!  Just out of control.....