Author Topic: YZ 80E  (Read 14069 times)

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: YZ 80E
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 08:15:14 pm »
Hey woody, thats photo is awesome mate thanks very much for putting that up! love the datto!
I have seen the frame strengthening kits, and i am going make my own gussets to go on. Or maybe i'll get lazy and buy one from fleabay.

thanks shelpi. and foxy get some pics of the 80's up!

The other fork leg is going to come out of the acid when i finish posting this. They are pretty bad so i may need to swap em for some others or last out and re chrome them.

Next will be to get the front wheel pulled down, paint the hubs and get em re laced with my NOS spokes. still pretty stoked that i got some NOS genuine spokes cheaper than those chinese/thai spokes!

Hopefully some pics on sunday!

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 02:36:08 pm »
   the a frame on the esky which has been painted already and box of bits. will be playing withthem this weekend.
My fastest lap is the first one :)

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 09:01:14 pm »
they look great foxy!
the one on the left looks mint.

my YZ 80E build might have just been placed down the list. I have aquired a new bike that i want to rebuild, as it will be my 'modern' rider.

going out with my mates on their late model 4 strokes is fun, but the suspension and brakes on my YZ250K slows me down. So if i rebuild this 1992 YZ250D1 i will have better suspension, disc brakes and it will still be retro cool  8)

So i might get the yz80e to rolling stage, while i fix the 250. Still undecided.
Best bit is the 1992 YZ250 only cost me an hours labour  ;D

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 04:27:03 pm »
ya that one is standard never touched. got the motor back in the e on the weekend, it came will a lot of New Yamaha parts supplied  years ago, front and rear spokes, new side case for the left side, new foot pegs and mount, new chain runner, brake stay arm, spring and pivot, the list goes on.  Bottom end is fine so will freshen the top end up only, got new base and head gaskets. Even new side case screws....front fork tubes have been re chromed. Rear shock has already been done.
My fastest lap is the first one :)

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 08:00:22 pm »
YZ80e mototek CDI unit

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-YZ80e-mototek-CDI-unit-vmx-yz125-old-trail-bike-/290645629932?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43abd45bec

was that yours woody? The bugger ended the auction early.
Why do they put them up on ebay if they dont wanna sell it?

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 08:45:20 pm »
not mine, send him a message via ebay and ask him if he still has it.
WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 09:52:09 pm »
been busy with other things lately! House, changing jobs more than once, tons of work blah blah blah!!
But painted some stuff, got the wheels pretty shiny. They are in really good condition!

Laced one up, hopefully have time to do the other one on the weekend.

Spokes only finger tight i will get a mate with a jig to true them for me.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 03:11:06 pm »
Steveo, What is the oxalic acid bath? It done a bloody good job on that bolt :)

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 10:59:10 am »
smed, its takes rust off chrome! doesnt affect stickers leaves them on. Best stuff.

I buy it in this form from bunnings / mitre 10.
http://www.recochem.com.au/index.php/products/consumer_products/timber_care/item/diggers_oxalic_acid

give it a soak for 24 hours and watch the rust disapeer! Its used for cleaning timber.hts only good on chrome tho, too harsh on other stuff.
Do a google search for more info!

Did a great job on the forks too, a pity it leaves the pitting but at least it wont get any worse now.

I got the other wheel done a mate is going to true them up for me now.

Also started getting one fork leg cleaned up.

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 06:03:07 pm »

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 05:09:27 pm »
Does anyone know of a good flywheel puller that will suit the yz80?

I have a universal one that doesnt quite sit right, 2 of the 3 legs sit good but one is on the thin steel part and this flywheel is on tight! I dont wanna break it.

actually maybe if i dont get a reply i might start a new thread asking what tools people would reccomend for building the engine yourself.

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 09:46:43 pm »
Does anyone know of a good flywheel puller that will suit the yz80?

I have a universal one that doesnt quite sit right, 2 of the 3 legs sit good but one is on the thin steel part and this flywheel is on tight! I dont wanna break it.

actually maybe if i dont get a reply i might start a new thread asking what tools people would reccomend for building the engine yourself.

Can you post up a picture of the flywheel ?  there should be provision on the flywheel to attach a puller, sometimes there will be an internal thread around the centre or several holes to screw into.

I wouldn`t use a puller on the outside of the flywheel you may distort it beyond repair. Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 10:11:40 pm »
Good job Stevo,i finally bit the bullet and sent my YZ80H forks off to Rad Had Chroming to be done,it will be the most expensive part of the rebuild but i wanted to get the bike to the roller stage and that was holding me up.

cheers Dale.

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 07:29:27 pm »
Hey dale, that sounds good mate. I wanted to get these ones re chromed but im trying to keep this a budget build! And they actually work really well as they are.

Here is a picture of the flywheel peter.