Author Topic: YZ 80E  (Read 14062 times)

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
YZ 80E
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:42:06 pm »
While i am saving monies to build a 1976 DG racer type bike with dad, we are going to tidy up this little 1978 YZ 80E to go with our YZ400E.
It wont be a full restoration, just get it nice and reliable to flog around the paddock on.
I dont know where he got it, it just turned up one day after he went to melbourne to pick up something else!

Its a good looking little bike that looks to have had alot of use!

The tank is pretty dinged up, but the rust is not too bad no leaks at all.

The pipe looks pretty good too, with a few dings up front at usual.

Untill i turned the pipe upside down and this shit came out

I knew there was something funny about the right hand footpeg, but had never really had a proper look at it.
Its obviously broken off at some point and has been repaired, pretty poorly too. LOL

But i cut the square bar stock off the end and may be able to re use the footpeg.
I think they are supposed to bolt on, but these have been welded. there is a complete footpeg mount/bar on fleabay USA i might grab if i cant repair this one to my liking.

The swingarm has a peice of rhs welded to the top mount to give the ass end more clearance, i dont mind the idea but its done pretty badly and ugly so i will tidy it up.
you can kind of see it in this picture, at the top where it bolts to the shock. but i will get a better one of the swingarm soon.

and this is how it sits a few hours later.

the parts i need to fix/replace or missing altogether are (that i know so far) are -
Foot peg mounts/crossbar.
top exhaust mount.
rear exhaust mount
air filter
carb to air box boot.
both tyres
gear lever shaft
kick starter shaft (both were stuffed but hadnt been welded on)
rear brake rod
both rear axle adjusters are bent, one beyond repair the other maybe

thats all i can think of but if anyone has any of those parts im in the market for them..!

Next is to clean the wheels up (going to try and do it without dismantling them)
fix the footpeg mounts so frame can be powder coated.

Enjoy!

Offline mudguard

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: YZ 80E
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 01:11:04 pm »
Steveo,
Are you sure you want to squander some of your savings on this basket case. I've been there done that. Beileve me, starting a project from this standard, will cost more than you would want to part with. The desire is there, but soon you will find that the time and money spent, would have been better off towards your 76 DG racer bike. Good luck and hope you enjoy.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:58:36 pm »
Steveo,
Are you sure you want to squander some of your savings on this basket case. I've been there done that. Beileve me, starting a project from this standard, will cost more than you would want to part with. The desire is there, but soon you will find that the time and money spent, would have been better off towards your 76 DG racer bike. Good luck and hope you enjoy.

Yeah i thought about that. Hopefully i can keep the spending in check, i have a figure in mind based on a full motor rebuild and if i can stick to the budget and get it to a good fun bike ill be happy.
Im sure i will wish i had listened to you in a few months!

I had a busy day doing stuff around the house / pub lunch for a bday but i managed to get a little bit done.
degreased the swingarm and pressure washed the frame and swingarm. The frame has multiple cracks in it!
swingarm has alot of chain damage. But its very useable for what i want.

The chain guide had worn out totally and so the chain had damaged the swingarm..

and came up pretty good for my low skill level i thought!

swingarm after a duel with the wire brush and file. I havnt decided what to do with the shock mount yet, as hopefully i can find a shock from another bike that i can make fit and use, so i might have to modify the mount.

the bash plate had cracked and you can see more of the great footpeg mount. Now i have seen how the footpegs are supposed to be i will cut it totally off.

Right over where the footpeg is supposed to bolt to, they had welded a brace for the makeshift mount they made.
Cut it off and clean it up and i should be able to use the bolt hole, gotta get my tap set from dads.

This was the worst spot on the frame.

Im not a good welder but its nice and strong now with all the current cracks welded up.

So now frame and swingarm are ready to be blasted, and i will look into the frame strengening kits!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:04:02 pm by steveo247 »

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:34:39 pm »
Go for it, so what if you spend a bit more than you want, your skill level looks ok and will only get better doing what you are doing its a cheap leason for good skills for life and then there is the satisfaction  ;) lets face it there is something special about brining bikes back to life, all the best on your quest  ;D

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 06:50:45 pm »
thanks shelpi! i agree with you.

Work on the bike has been slow due to changing jobs at the moment!
But have collected -
new swingarm bearings.
new steering bearings.
carby to airbox boot
front and rear spokes - NOS for 65 bucks delivered.
footpeg crossbar setup.
and gear shift shaft with good splines.

Got the frame back from sandblasting and got it into some primer.

the footpeg crossbar i got was a bit bent, i straightened it a bit but its still a bit twisted.
but i got it on -

and then made sure the motor still fit, which it didnt do it needed more 'adjusting' untill it did.

also the bore is on 1st oversize which is a bonus, i was certain it would have been last. Its got a few scratches so it will be taken to second?

Went for a drive and picked up a new toy aswell, that i happen to have a nice swingarm for   :D

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:19:46 am »
 :D AHH good work, looks like you are haveing to much fun  ;) good score what bike is that a YZ125D? THAT SWINGARM is a beaty, those parts you got sound like a steel that just makes it sweeter and 1st oversize another bonus. all the best on your quest. cheers

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 07:54:18 pm »
Thanks mate.
Yep its a yz125D. but it has a 175 bottom end (It or MX cant remember at the moment) but the barrel and DG head are 1977 yz125.
It rides great as it is so i wont be playing with it much untill i finish the 80e! I'll prob fit the swingarm!

I also just got a NOS crankshaft for the yz80e from fleabay for 76 bucks.. cost more than that for an aftermarket rod kit let alone fitting and pressing the bearings. bargain.

I might have a go at rebuilding this motor myself, ive never built a motor i always get my awesome local bike mechanic to do it.

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 04:07:28 pm »
had a bit of time between jobs today, got the hub cleaned up and in primer.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:45:09 am »
yer why not rebuild the motor yourself, your skill level looks good from here, take your time get a good manual if you havn't already got one, ask lots of questions and i am sure that you will build a great little engine. ahh good stuff yep you sure have saved money and time with the crank (way to go) hope to seeya in the pre 1978 class one day  ;) keep up the good work, all the best on your quest, from an old young man  :D cheers pete

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 11:48:33 am »
Yep, rebuild the motor yourself.  As Shelpi said if you've got a good manual and ask the right questions on here it will be a peice of cake  ;)
I had never done it before and the guys on here talked me through my first one.  After that there was no stopping me  ;D
Occasionally I have to take things to the pro's but not very often ::).  It is a great learning experince and makes it even more rewarding when you first go to start it and it fires second kick  8)  Save heaps of dollars as well  ;)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 12:30:09 pm »
GEE!
that 125D looks like a good score too! 8)
as kids, i had the YZ80D and my mate had the YZ80F.
both were great bikes.
i agree with the other blokes too,
take your time and have a go at doing your own motor.
even if it gets too much for you, you still gain knowledge and experience for next time ;)
"flat bickie"

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »
I took the YZD for a ride yesty and its a really nice bike! WAY better than a C or X.

Oxalic acid bath time.

fork on right not been done yet but both were in same condition. They are still buggered due to the pitting but i wont be re chroming them yet due to this being a budget build.

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 10:12:45 pm »
Hi Steveo
Nice to watch your rebuild on the 80E as we had one way back then. It was our first taste of a powerband. Great little bikes and very popular at the time. They did have a problem though with the frame cracking around the swing arm mounting area. Yamaha brought out a kit (see ebay link) to strengthen it but ours still cracked.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110583451290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 12:51:58 pm »
YZ 250H Hit the nail on the head, yep we are all hear to help , actualy im jelous  :'( you are so advanced compared to me when i was your age  ;) keep up the good work and i am looking forward to the next segment on your rebuild, all the best on your quest.

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 03:49:15 pm »
iam watching to, just picked up 4 yz80's, 2e's and 2f's
My fastest lap is the first one :)