Author Topic: Old MX pics  (Read 79832 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Old MX pics
« Reply #180 on: December 26, 2011, 07:04:16 pm »
Mick....I may well have it wrong but I don't recall Clarko or Phippsy coming up to Inverell. As you know my blender and I were there, what a great night that was in the pub with the blender going full crank on the bar!
That might be Barry Patterson on the B50, and the guy on the CCM is Craig??? from up your way around Armidale. I can identify the bike by the Maico forks it had at the time.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 26, 2011, 08:44:15 pm »
Mick....I may well have it wrong but I don't recall Clarko or Phippsy coming up to Inverell. As you know my blender and I were there, what a great night that was in the pub with the blender going full crank on the bar!
That might be Barry Patterson on the B50, and the guy on the CCM is Craig??? from up your way around Armidale. I can identify the bike by the Maico forks it had at the time.

Firko
It was a different track to the normal one and it was a different event to the one were we had presentation at the pub, Clarko was there as the guy who own the property we raced on gave him a missing chrome bit for his mainline ute, Yeah Graig Ekitt or something like that was on the CCM as my memory is a little shaky I think it was the only time Phippsy came up. It was an old track that was used to hold races in the 70's , the land holder gave us use for that one event then unfortunately had a divorce and had to sell.   
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 26, 2011, 09:32:40 pm »
Was I there? I thought I went to all of the meetings up there. Craig Eckhardt I think it is with the CCM.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 26, 2011, 10:16:12 pm »
very stressful time waiting but it's all looking good now
I'm glad all's well now mate. My old mate Billy Brown of Montesa pre 70 fame had a malignant kidney removed a year or two ago and he's fine now. I've seen two good mates go through hell with prostate cancer which prompted me to have my first check up three years ago. They found an anomaly which thankfully turned out to be 'only' an infection but I was pretty bloody worried while waiting for those test results let me tell ya! I now get my prostate checked every 6 months and a full checkover every year. It's worth it.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2011, 08:03:42 am »
Was I there? I thought I went to all of the meetings up there. Craig Eckhardt I think it is with the CCM.

Yes you were there , another give away for Inverell events are the white electric fence tread in posts used a corner markers which were the way we did all temporary tracks back then. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2011, 02:29:44 pm »
 This is the best stuff on here for a while! Haven't got any Moorebank stuff Firko?
 My experience with the big C could have been a lot worse, the first doc I spoke to about symptoms said "Oh thats not unusual at your age, don't worry about it."  I changed docs, this one said 'Ill send you to a speciallist. Just as well, Radical surgery followed with the speciallist saying "you're pretty young at 57 for this". Ten months recovery time.
 Nowadays blokes are up and running in a week or so!
 17 years later all clear with an anual PSA check.
 Cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2011, 03:14:55 pm »
Wally....All the Moorebank stuff Gus Priem sent me is back on pages 10 and 11 of this thread. I've got a couple of b&w box brownie snaps from Moorebank but I can't seem to find them. They're not very good anyway.
I'm glad you went for that second doctors opinion Wal....things might have gone pear shape for ya ;)

While I'm here I keep forgetting to thank you for the Nepean 6 hour CD, it brought back a lot of memories. I also enjoyed the dulcet tones of your singing on the sound track. You're a real pop star mate!

Have a happy New Year Wal..... ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re:Quiz Time 79
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2012, 06:21:01 pm »
Did Anthony Gunter race in 79 with a team of 4 other Australian riders to take on the NZ team in NZ ??
and what where the other four riders names ??
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2012, 09:53:07 pm »
I seem to recall a NZ v Aust teams event at Mystery Creek, Hamilton thousands of years ago, but I'd have thought more like '77. I think Ron Dinsdale was in the team, and also possibly Mike Landman : certainly Russell Speak was. Can't say I remember Grunt racing in NZ.

Bloody brain cells.... ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

TM BILL

« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2012, 10:55:34 pm »
I seem to recall a NZ v Aust teams event at Mystery Creek, Hamilton thousands of years ago, but I'd have thought more like '77. I think Ron Dinsdale was in the team, and also possibly Mike Landman : certainly Russell Speak was. Can't say I remember Grunt racing in NZ.

Glen i have a video of a trans Tasman event in Gordonton Hamilton Labour weekend 1977, sponsored by radio waikato . 12 riders in each team with a 100 kiwis trying to qualify on the first day.
 In the Kiwi team were Ivan miller , Peter Ploen, Vic Reader,Gary Goodfellow, Frank White, Gary Whittle , Wayne Ady, Ashley Major, Kerry Evans plus others

Aussies included Trevor Flood , Hans Applegren , Dave ? on a husky , Danny Riley , Mike Landman , Lester Rowley , Daryll Willoby ,Peter callum plus others.

It was a comanding victory for the Kiwis with Ivan being in a class of his own  :)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2012, 11:55:18 pm »
The one he has back now Ali is the 79 model thats in VMX mag a few issues ago.....its on the cover.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2012, 12:13:55 am »
The one he has back now Ali is the 79 model thats in VMX mag a few issues ago.....its on the cover.

Thanks Crocket, found it..That bike's had more riders and histroy than a _______________ .
It would have been good to have a run down on the events its raced in over the years in the article.. :P  :P
Gunter says it will be back at CD9 along with a 81 KX500GP (display only)....see Suzukis never stop ;D  ;) and Kawas are just way too special  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2012, 12:29:35 am »

Glen i have a video of a trans Tasman event in Gordonton Hamilton Labour weekend 1977, sponsored by radio waikato . 12 riders in each team with a 100 kiwis trying to qualify on the first day.
 In the Kiwi team were Ivan miller , Peter Ploen, Vic Reader,Gary Goodfellow, Frank White, Gary Whittle , Wayne Ady, Ashley Major, Kerry Evans plus others

Aussies included Trevor Flood , Hans Applegren , Dave ? on a husky , Danny Riley , Mike Landman , Lester Rowley , Daryll Willoby ,Peter callum plus others.

It was a comanding victory for the Kiwis with Ivan being in a class of his own  :)

Jeez William, I think you're on the money there mate. Appelgren rode a 360 Auto (green tank) and Peter Kalen was a Granquist clone.
Re Gunter's 1979 400, that'd be his RM I'm picking, not the white-guarded factory RN400 he appeared on at the Amaroo Park Mr Motocross round : what a weapon that was !
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2012, 01:48:24 am »
Ali, the year Russell went to Unzud was after the 1978 OZ Champs at Broadford...Graeme Smythe went also......don't recall if it was in 1978 at the end of the year or early in 1979...

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 31, 2012, 09:14:01 pm »
[

Whats this one Birmingham Hubs,Starmaker Engine ??
Best is in the West !!