Author Topic: Old MX pics  (Read 79867 times)

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Old MX pics
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2011, 12:50:30 pm »
That no 44 Ossa looks a real early 4 speed MX  steel fork legs plus the up pipe 1967/8

Rider looks like  Stephen Gall  twin bro ;D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 20, 2011, 01:27:23 pm »

Anyone who knows Brian Clarkson will understand that his life is worthy of a feature film. Brian is one of the true characters of Australian motocross, the last of the old school hard men. Not many could out drink him, pull more roots or out ride him when he was at the peak of his powers. He won numerous state titles in all disciplines but even though he was good enough to beat any champion on his day, an Aussie MX title always managed to elude him. He did win the Sunrasia Desert Rally on a Husky and was the first "works" Alron rider, tying in with his East Coast distributorship. Naturally he hated the bike with a passion and was relieved when someone broke into his shop and stole his in 1974.

Brian was one of the original batch of vintage racers in the late 80's aboard the ex Roy East Metisse and his own Matchy Metisse. Unfortunately the party boy lifestyle had caught up with him and while he was as fast as ever for a lap or two, his sixty fag a day habit played havoc on his ability to steer the heavyweight bikes at front of the pack for the full race distance.

Brian's still around, living in retirement in Port Maquarie and despite his poor health he's the same cantankerous yet lovable old reprobate he's always been. We're hoping he can join is old mates in Klub Kevlar at CD9 and perhaps do a lap or two aboard Jonesy's American Eagle 405/Alron clone.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:35:31 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #167 on: December 20, 2011, 01:40:29 pm »
Brian sure was a tuff nut, he also won the Nepean 6 hour in the early 70's on a TM400 along with Kiwi Brian Martin and brother Carl.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2011, 02:00:50 pm »
The Clarkson coffee is a legend.Met and yarned with Brian at the Late Karl Morlangs while putting my bike together for auzie titles after flying it over.VMX is richer for Clarko type characters.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 20, 2011, 02:19:21 pm »
Gus Priem took the following photos at the inaugural Greybeards Vintage Motocross meeting at Amaroo Park held over the Easter long weekend in 1988. Little did we know that that meeting would evolve into what we have today.

Albert Newton on his Ariel 500 having a chat with his old racing comrade, Roy East. Albie and the Ariel still exist in exactly the same condition.

Roy East's ugly but extremely quick Metisse which is now disgracefully over restored and living in the MA Museum. Roy would NOT approve.

Legendary OSSA guru Phill Young in snazzy shorts and slick hat talking race tactics with Garry Hodge. Klub Kevlar's Hodgie almost dominated the meeting on his very trick Phantom, only Bultaco mounted Ronny Dinsdale spoiling the win process.

Gus Priem's Yamaha XS650 Yamaha in action at Amaroo and up close.

A veteran TRIBSA

Tommy Thompsons 750 Triumph powered Redline flat tracker set up for motocross. The bike proved to be extremely effective.

Col Evans and his brilliant Matchless Metisse. Col unfortunately passed away a couple of months ago but his son Glenn continues winning on the Metisse, winning the pre 65 class at the Vintage DT Nats for the last 3 years in a row.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2011, 10:04:00 pm »
was Adrian Gunter related to Anthony? I see Kevlar frank Stanbourough on the programme
Adrian and the more famous Terry are Anthony's older brothers. Frank Stanborough would have been aboard his works ported RT1 Yamaha. Frank struck up a friendship with old Don Jones, father of Gary, DeWayne and the YZ Yamaha. Don sent Frank the porting templates of the works RT1MX which Frank applied to his own RT1 which he reckons turned it into a missile. We're planning on using those same specs in my dirt track RT1 engine.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:08:58 pm by firko »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2011, 11:30:07 pm »
Awesome photos and history Firko....looks like the forums going out with a bang this year....keep up the good work 8)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2011, 11:34:22 pm »
Awesome photos and history Firko....looks like the forums going out with a bang this year....keep up the good work 8)
Don't get too smug... the anti vmx political freaks could be back anytime soon.. ;D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2011, 01:45:42 pm »

Hans Apelgren leads Geoff Eldridge, Dargle Nats, 92

Mick Hockley holeshoots Laurie Alderton and Jens Olsen...Condo 95

Bob Isherwood getting some decent air on his Maico, Clarence circa mid 90's
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:58:42 pm by firko »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2011, 09:52:13 am »

Edgar Phipps#31 (Elsinore XL350), Brian Clarkson #34 (Matchless Metisse), John Peters #56 (Maico XL420) 4 stroke class, Singleton vmx circa early 90's.

Kevin Flood, Honda 125, Clarence, mid 90's.

Tommy Thompsons broken 360 Pursang at Dargle, mid 90s. The frame had been chromed but not properly flushed of the acids used in the process and it rotted away from the inside. The replacement frame was naturally not chromed!

A rare Aspes 125, Clarence, mid 90's

The great John Hine raced until two weeks before he died of bowel cancer in the late 90's. He was one of the sports true characters. Note cholestomy bag hanging from under his jersey! He crashed later that day, breaking his leg....you could smell the shit all through the Mt Kembla complex after the bag burst! He's still missed by his many friends

Bob Isherwood and Kevin flood dookin' it out at Dargle, mid 90's.

Glenn Bell rode the occasional vintage meet even when he was still a top liner. Here he is at Singleton in the early 90's preparing to race Geoff Holmes Elsinore. Glenn still rides Geoffs bikes to this day.

A boyish Glenn Bell and Holmsy's Elsinore.

Another vintage racer taken out way before his time was Greg Sweikert. Greg wasn't one of the fast guys but he had a huge collection of great bikes and raced them all until his prostate cancer took him out. Here he's at Clarence in the mid 90's on his trick BSA B50MX

The field takes off at a mid 90's Dargle vintage meeting

The great Billy Brown is another of our sports true characters. He's won the Nats pre 70 class twice 10 years apart on his trick orange Montesa 250GP. Despite losing a kidney to cancer two years ago he's still racing his faithful Monty. Here he's cutting up a berm at Condo in 1995.

Ronnie Dinsdale leads the pack on Rob Watson's Bultaco Pursang at the first Nats...Dargle 92.

Edgar Phipps and a bunch of muddy racers pick themselves up after a turn one tumble in the pissing rain at the inaugural Nats at Dargle in 1992.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:36:47 am by firko »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2011, 09:59:27 am »
There's some interesting names in this early Amaroo program. Ian Geohegan and Bob Morris from touring car racing to name just a couple.

There are 6 Crash and Burn regulars in that list Firko sadly Zoran past away a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:02:22 am by Slakewell »
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Montynut

« Reply #176 on: December 26, 2011, 11:05:24 am »

Edgar Phipps#31 (Elsinore XL350), Brian Clarkson #34 (Matchless Metisse), John Peters #56 (Maico XL420) 4 stroke class, Singleton vmx circa early 90's.

Glenn Bell rode the occasional vintage meet even when he was still a top liner. Here he is at Singleton in the early 90's preparing to race Geoff Holmes Elsinore. Glenn still rides Geoffs bikes to this day.

A boyish Glenn Bell and Holmsy's Elsinore.

Firko do you know where at Singleton these shots were taken. The Singleton club during the 70' - early 90's had several tracks but I can not place those shots the ones with Glen Bell looks like Abbey Green but the other one looks a bit like Bulga. Any ideas?

This stuff is the very eccense of this forum and our sport/hobby. It is so sad to know that so many of these guys have met the big C. It is the most wonderful of all to see how they are remembered by their friends and even those that didn't know them but can relate to our shared passion for old dirt bikes.

Firko I didn't know him but a guy like John Hind with the 'guts' that ride took is missed by all good men. Thankyou for sharing those photos and the little back ground. It somehow makes me proud and yes honoured to continue a sport those guys loved.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 26, 2011, 12:20:31 pm »
Firko do you know where at Singleton these shots were taken.
Monty, I can't recall the name of the Singleton track but remember that it was just off the main road (Possibly the New England Hwy) and that a railway track had to be crossed to get into the place. There was quite a keen vintage mover and shaker local whose name I can't remember involved in getting these meetings happening. He rode Husky's and owned the ex Guy Cooper Surf team RM Suzuki which I had the honour of using as my transport for the final day of the Cessnock ISDE.

From memory the track hadn't been used much since the seventies and was part of a sheep or cattle property. The owner/farmer put an end to the venue when he decided that he wanted to resume pasture on the land. It was a great vintage friendly track with minimal dust and a firm base that didn't break up. The racers loved it and Penrith club got well above average entries for the three of four meetings held there including many Queenslanders and even a few Victorians.
This stuff is the very eccense of this forum and our sport/hobby. It is so sad to know that so many of these guys have met the big C.
Firko I didn't know him but a guy like John Hind with the 'guts' that ride took is missed by all good men
'Hinesy' was such a character. His main deal was dirt track at which he was exceptionally quick on his rattey looking but extremely fast Bultaco Astro's (now owned and ridden by John Imrie and raced by young Olly). When Klub Kevlar sat to decide the racers to be honoured on the perpetual trophies we donated to HEAVEN for the Crawford River Classic we picked John Hine to be honoured on the Pre '70 Award.

I've been involved with the vintage movement in one way or another since 1986 and while compiling these photos it dawned on me how cancer has taken so many good people from our sport. Perhaps it's because we're from a generally older demographic that there seems to be so many but it's sad just the same. The one that really got to me and the 'good 'ol boys' was Greg Sweikert's trip to CD1 at Kyneton. He was in the final stages of prostate cancer and knew he didn't have a lot of time left. He took Nathan his seven year old son to the event so the boy could experience one last father and son bonding weekend away. They were staying at the same YMCA camp as us and Greg told us his sad story and asked us if we could involve him and Nathan in as much of the fun as we could...he really wanted that weekend to stick in Nathans mind. We all adopted the kid that weekend taking him for 'doubles' on our race bikes and Jonesy even took him for a spin on his Hagon Jawa long track bike which he was racing in the Aussie Long Track titles in Bendigo on the same weekend. We partied hard with Greg and his little bloke was right in the middle of it all, having a hoot of a time, Greg wanting him to experience everything, even stuff Mum might not think suitable for her little boy. It was a special time for all of us, contributing to what may have been the last time Greg and his son spent time together. A few weeks later he took his family to the USA to do the 'Route 66' trip and do the California theme parks as a family unit. Greg died a few weeks after they returned and  I'm certain none of us will ever forget the time we spent with he and his son at CD1.
A side aspect of that CD1 was that we got to know Magoo for the first time. He was staying at the same YMCA camp that we were and although not riding due to recent knee surgery, he got right into the camaraderie and partying that CD is famous for. I well remember him sitting having a quiet chat and a beer with Greg. It's ironic that the 'Big C' has since taken him and VMX magazine founder Ray Ryan, the originator of Classic Dirt out as well. There are quite a few more.

Get your prostate checked every year, it may save your life.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:03:12 pm by firko »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 26, 2011, 02:31:28 pm »

The legendary Dick Mann, photographed in 1986 at his old DMS workshop in the sleazy end of Richmond, California. I was in California to attend the second Dick Mann Vintage Dirt Bike Rally at Sandhill Ranch. The event was an all encompassing meeting with vintage trials and motocross plus a great swapmeet. I dropped in to his shop to meet my hero and before long Dick was at me to get the VMX thing happening in Australia. A one hour visit morphed into Dick inviting me home for the night and travelling to Sandhill Ranch with him the next day. i've still got the hand written letters he later sent me regarding rules and format which we used to set up the first meeting at Amaroo Park. What many people don't know is that Dick was within a cooee of coming down to ride at that Easter 1988 meet but a prior engagement caused it not to happen.

He's photographed with his beloved BSA Goldstar scrambler. The car in the background is a genuine super stock Hudson Hornet that'd been raced at Daytona beach in the early 50's. The pile of twisted metal comprises of genuine BSA Goldstar, Metisse and other interesting frames he'd saved from the wreckers and the tip. Despite a severe bout of throat cancer, he's still alive and as keen as ever. Legend isn't a good enough word to describe Dick Mann.

The great Billy Grossi, photographed at Sandhill Ranch in 1988. I was racing a friends CZ at the meeting and just happened to be pitting next to a bunch of party boys who were having a great old time. One of them happened to be Billy and I immediately liked him and his hippy/surfer Santa Cruz mates. I spent the weekend with them and a week later met up with Billy and some other old racers at a Santa Cruz bike shop and later a great little surfer bar for many beers. He was the most laid back ex pro racer I've ever met. A very likable bloke.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:39:32 pm by firko »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 26, 2011, 04:40:46 pm »

Firko I maybe wrong here but this pic looks to me to be the track Billabong near Inverell  #105 is on CCM he was from Brisbane, I dont think those boys got down to Singleton much but all those guys did race that Inverell event which was sadly a one off. I maybe wrong but #20 could be Barry Patterson BSA and the guy who cant see is Patrick Kenny on a 350 motorsport
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 04:44:20 pm by Slakewell »
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle