Author Topic: KLX 250 missing bits  (Read 7633 times)

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
KLX 250 missing bits
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:06:51 am »
I've checked and rechecked the parts manual and online fiches and can't find any mention of the ignitor box interface cage to the frame. My running bike's has got it and I need it for the other bike. I also need a sump strap , headlamp  etc etc but that first hasn't even got a diagram. Anyone got a spare or a part number?

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: KLX 250 missing bits
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:42:27 am »
The bracket on the left side of the frame that holds the igniter is 11036-1148

If you have the parts book for the B1 model it is on page 22 (Fitting, Frame)

Did you have any luck finding the other parts you needed from Paul ?
Thumpers Rule !

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:40:47 am »
Thanks
I've got the A parts book and I can't find it in that. What page is it on inthe B book,what's it lumped with?
Tried Paul 3 times. He doesn't answer.

Offline giler

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:32:45 am »
I thought Paul got rid of his last bits. Just ordered set of rings, need valve seals, gasket kit and should be sorted, oh and silencer >:( Do you know if wide pegs from anything modern are an easy fit?
We are not here for a long time, we are here for a good time!

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 07:26:43 pm »
 I tried Corby but they came back no longer available so, unless one turns up on ebay, I'll have to get something made. I've done some checking and the 81/82 KL engine is identical to the KLX with the possible exception of the cam. The parts fiches have the wrong graphics for the cam but that isn't the only mistake/omission. I got a late KL engine with 900 miles on the clock [been used by a shepherd] and later the KLX lense protector and rubber band [for twice the oem price] with a spare headlight lense. The latter bits were 1/3 the price of the engine. Ho hum. I also got one s/h side panel from the usa to match the other unbroken one that I had. One thing I can't tell is if the Roller bearing KLX cam differed from the KL roller as there are no parts fiches for the C model on the net. In fact, short of this website, no mention at all.

mainline

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:59:22 pm »
I know a guy with a couple of klx250's if you're chasing any bits

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 08:55:03 am »
 I'd like  the sump guard strap, The ignition ignitor  [cdi] box rubber mounted cage,  headlight and tail light. I can get pattern parts for the mudguards.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 11:51:27 am »
I have an old frame with some electrical parts still attached, give me an idea of what it looks like and I'll see if I still have one.

mainline

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 10:29:26 pm »
I'd like  the sump guard strap, The ignition ignitor  [cdi] box rubber mounted cage,  headlight and tail light. I can get pattern parts for the mudguards.

no worries, I'll see what he's got and let you know

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 06:37:07 am »
 Thanks both of you. If anyone needs a photo, e me and I'll sort it

mainline

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 10:06:36 pm »
Should have the parts except the headlight. I'll PM you his contact details

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 01:01:57 am »
 Thanks very much mainline
I've bought a few bits. Next question
Anyone know what substitutes work for the swingarm bearing arrangement? None of the three componants are listed as current parts. I have one swingarm with the original parts and not a drop of oil to be seen; and another swingarm with  single diameter sleeves on what seems to be very slightly thinner needle rollers + seals

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:49:18 pm by cloggy »

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:34:18 am »
Ahhh ....... I have spent many hours on this one. The needle rollers are no problem in the size required. The issue is the number of rollers. The Kawasaki one has lots, the replacements available commercialy have less. This puts the stress loads from the roller in too few places. The rolling diameter also has a bad effect. The bearing sleeves are no longer available either. I aquired a NOS part from Cradley here in the UK. I then made four new ones and heat treated them to increase the surface hardness. The original ones were made of cheese, but lasted fairly well. Mine are much harder, but because of the needle roller problem will start to wear faster in one plase (diameter of roller !). The o-rings are also no problem.
I need to find a bearing that has smaller diameter rollers and more of them. Once I have found those I will run a batch of inserts. There are several people waiting for these with KX125's etc !
My other option is to make a batch of self lubricating nylon bushes. Again, I won't sell them until I have tested them for a while. Another idea would be a phospor bronze bush with a grease nipple tapped into the arm.
Bugger all will hapen on any of these fronts until I get my crank pressed back together ! The joy of waiting for someone else .......
Thumpers Rule !

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 11:20:54 am »
Ahhh ....... I have spent many hours on this one. The needle rollers are no problem in the size required. The issue is the number of rollers. The Kawasaki one has lots, the replacements available commercialy have less. This puts the stress loads from the roller in too few places. The rolling diameter also has a bad effect. The bearing sleeves are no longer available either. I aquired a NOS part from Cradley here in the UK. I then made four new ones and heat treated them to increase the surface hardness. The original ones were made of cheese, but lasted fairly well. Mine are much harder, but because of the needle roller problem will start to wear faster in one plase (diameter of roller !). The o-rings are also no problem.
I need to find a bearing that has smaller diameter rollers and more of them. Once I have found those I will run a batch of inserts. There are several people waiting for these with KX125's etc !
My other option is to make a batch of self lubricating nylon bushes. Again, I won't sell them until I have tested them for a while. Another idea would be a phospor bronze bush with a grease nipple tapped into the arm.
Bugger all will hapen on any of these fronts until I get my crank pressed back together ! The joy of waiting for someone else .......

Grouty,
Suzuki RM125E/F bearings are the same size. All Balls has replacement kits [for the RM]. I am planning to get a couple of these kits for my RMs, when they arrive I will see how they measure up on the KLX.

I will get to it, but I am notoriously slow to act.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 07:48:10 pm »
 All Balls are sold by OROUK just up the road. They have a good catalogue but useless website
 We'll measure up, check and tell at some point this {WELSH} winter.
 Suzuki DR400 needle rollers don't last diddley squat without constant use of  the grease gun.
 Thanks, this is truly a brilliant forum. I've not seen a more informed bunch of people anywhere else.
Just a thought. Marin used ex Formula One suspension engineer Jon White to design all their suspension mountain bikes
 He used aircraft annular bearings originally designed to rock back and forth for wing flaps
 Marin had a really big market share in wet winter UK due in no small part to the swingarm bearings not wearing out; unlike every single other maker's product. Some of the USA designs were utterly trashed in one winter weekend. I've seen it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:00:04 pm by cloggy »