Author Topic: the new look VMX rule book  (Read 26219 times)

Offline colmoody

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: the new look VMX rule book
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2011, 09:37:08 pm »
Pretty hard to argue with GD66 on that one.

Curly3

« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2011, 09:46:37 pm »
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2011, 09:51:49 pm »
We put a lot of time into selecting the right year cutoffs back in the late 80's and I think we've got it pretty right. Even Evo makes more sense to me as the years move along. At the time I'd have preferred a pre '80 class (there was no pre '78 class at that stage) instead of Evo but it's worked out pretty well in the end. If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2011, 10:19:05 pm »
At last !! FFS lads, the main issue in historic roadracing is well-intentioned blokes building machines that to them represent their past, or a favourite era...then turning up, discovering they're outside the parameters of the MA rulebook, packing the sh*ts and disappearing, to never be seen again.

You Aussie are always throwing your toys in the corner, bunch of bloody shirt lifters.... first rule of NZ Historic Racing is if it is made in Japan it is not eligible  ;D ;D ;D ;D .... once you get that out of the way then it is pre 63 and class is decided on what performance mods you have made and if you can afford a Manx
formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2011, 11:20:25 pm »
Changing to pre '79 wouldn't be a smart idea.. The '78 CR250RZ will stomp the rest of the field with it's 12'' of suspension and rocketship engine, it's one of the best Evo bikes around.
Leave it like it is.. no matter what you do some models will suffer.

RZ is 79?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2011, 11:56:39 pm »

You Aussie are always throwing your toys in the corner, bunch of bloody shirt lifters.... first rule of NZ Historic Racing is if it is made in Japan it is not eligible  ;D ;D ;D ;D .... once you get that out of the way then it is pre 63 and class is decided on what performance mods you have made and if you can afford a Manx

Only problem with the NZCMRR "No Jap Crap" rule Marc, is when they run out of ideas/money every few years, and make an exception to top the coffers up at their  annual Pukekohe festival : I refer to the Post-Classic display they ran a few years ago that featured the Robert Holden-ridden Plastic Fantastic Roberts Suzukis, the Croz XR69, a couple of TZ750s, Mike Pero's TZ350 etc : the Virgil Ehlings-owned ex-Hailwood Lyster-framed 500 Honda on another occasion : the 125cc Yamaha V4 owned by Ferri Brouwer and ridden by Hugh Anderson couple of years back, and so on : if you're a racer with a Japper, piss off...but if you're a legend with a Japper, enter and sign in please.... ::)...pretty ironic when you consider that founder NZCMRR member Hugh Anderson won four world titles and 25 Grands Prix on SUZUKI, and Ken McIntosh made a career and a breadline based on the success of his Rodger Freeth-ridden McIntosh SUZUKI... ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:12:02 am by GD66 »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2011, 04:58:34 am »
Doc, youth was on Young Adrians side ( 18 YO  from memory ) and yes he was quick.   does he still ride ?????

Stew, yes he still rides, has 2 RM-Z's now and he moved to Karratha, West Australia. If you remember he didn't fair so well in the pre'78 races as he was riding a slightly sub-standard RM125S. When he was put on Wayne's bike, which I had raced, at the end of the day he blitzed. The races were very short, to me it wasn't so much youth being on his side but more-so it was his home track and he applied the modern style of riding to the old bikes, it worked perfectly. Reckons he'd love to do another vintage event ;)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:19:28 am by Doc »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2011, 07:37:10 am »

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2011, 08:58:01 am »
CR250R/RZ essentially the same and the major reason why it shouldn't be pre79 or 80 - you could then call it the CR250 class.

Freaky - thats it mate - we were all wrong, you were always right and now we have come around  ;D  Luv your work!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2011, 09:38:02 am »
At last !! FFS lads, the main issue in historic roadracing is well-intentioned blokes building machines that to them represent their past, or a favourite era...then turning up, discovering they're outside the parameters of the MA rulebook, packing the sh*ts and disappearing, to never be seen again.
The vmx guidelines are not only pretty simple and straight-forward, but have been tuned by patient, intelligent men : bottom line is, if you wanna race vmx, study the rulebook first, THEN AND ONLY THEN make your decisions about what you wanna race...
And go your hardest... :)

I hate it when glen says something I actually have to agree with!!!  damn
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2011, 10:17:00 am »

RZ is 79?

'78/'79

CR-RZ is78 build, 79 model. It would not be eligible for a pre-79 class.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2011, 10:39:37 am »
CR250R/RZ essentially the same and the major reason why it shouldn't be pre79 or 80 - you could then call it the CR250 class.

Freaky - thats it mate - we were all wrong, you were always right and now we have come around  ;D  Luv your work!

See and i knew you too would come around.......  ps the clubman awards looking prity good on the wall, i can even tell if its going to rain !
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2011, 02:52:49 pm »
you deserved it buddy - some mighty good competition for the award also I must admit.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica