Author Topic: kick ass but so true  (Read 9497 times)

TooFastTim

Re: kick ass but so true
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2011, 06:36:50 pm »
Some of you guys are kinda missing something. Most of your comments are perfectly valid but the diffs between an artisan and an engineer is when things get really complicated. When there are forces at work that are not immediately apparent. As an example consider feedback and its implications. A system can very easily become unstable if not designed correctly and the diffs between a stable and unstable design can be very subtle indeed. This is where that theoretical background is sooooo important.

Yes, a lot of the time an artisan can replace an engineer but occasionally you need an engineer to do the design work.

I cannot stand arrogant recent grads. There is no shame in asking for the opinion of a experienced tradie. Suck it up man. A good tradie is a person of great value. Learn to appreciate and value them.

TM BILL

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 07:29:17 pm »
Some of you guys are kinda missing something. Most of your comments are perfectly valid but the diffs between an artisan and an engineer is when things get really complicated. When there are forces at work that are not immediately apparent. As an example consider feedback and its implications. A system can very easily become unstable if not designed correctly and the diffs between a stable and unstable design can be very subtle indeed. This is where that theoretical background is sooooo important.

Yes, a lot of the time an artisan can replace an engineer but occasionally you need an engineer to do the design work.

I cannot stand arrogant recent grads. There is no shame in asking for the opinion of a experienced tradie. Suck it up man. of A good tradie is a person great value. Learn to appreciate and value them.

Spoken like a true condesending graduate  ::)

TooFastTim

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 07:30:49 pm »
 ;D

(Don't forget I started as a tradie)

TM BILL

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 07:33:14 pm »
;D

(Don't forget I started as a tradie)

And how many times you jumped countries or been unemployed in the last 10 years  ;) sometimes its best to stick at what you know  ;D

Curly3

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 07:45:51 pm »
I've met arseholes at every level.
The ones that walk all over people on the way up need to remember that they may still be there on the way back down.
Having said that I've been guilty of giving it to people who I thought deserved it, at the time and I've also copped a few on the chin.
Everyone has there own level of education, capability or ambition.
I thought the clip was very true & funny.

TooFastTim

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 07:49:36 pm »
And how many times you jumped countries or been unemployed in the last 10 years  ;) sometimes its best to stick at what you know  ;D

Ow!

TM BILL

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 07:59:04 pm »

Ow!
[/quote

Come on Tim a true Aussie tradie would see the humour  ;)

TooFastTim

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 08:05:42 pm »
Perhaps at another time I would too it's really painful at the mo'. Sorry Bill, it's not personal but I've had a rough ride recently.

TM BILL

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 08:20:07 pm »
Haven't we all mate  ::) but you cant take life to seriously , lifes not a practice inspite of what those Jesarse freaks will tell yer you dont get a 2nd go  :) If you can get up in the morning you still got most of your limbs and a bike or 60 in the shed your better off than many.

Mate i need a manager to run a towing outfit in the winterless north  :) moneys rubbish hrs are worse and you will become an insensitive prick in no time ;) No degree needed just a good work ethic a sense of humour and a golden gloves title would be an advantage  ;D send us your cv .
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:56:30 am by TM BILL »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 09:05:07 am »
If you are asking an engineer to be a skilled tradesman, then there is or will quickly be, a disconnect! 

It’s not about the Engineer knowing how to swing a hammer or lay a bead of weld, more that they should be more aware of the constraints of tooling for any given job.
As a sheetie I have often found Draftsman / Engineers don’t have a clue about what is possible within the machines of the factory.
Simple things like knowing how close a step fold can be, as most folders and presses have a minimum distance between folds.

So many times I have been given engineering drawings only to find when you study them for cutting sizes you discover all sorts of contradictions in the measurements. CAD should have phased that out these days as the computer does all those calculations for you, but it raises doubts about their ability to calculate stress loads when they can’t add up a few measurements.

We currently have an Architect running the country at the moment.
She has drawn up a green six legged dog.
She is so proud of her design and wants to be remembered for generations (she will)
Some academics are patting her on the back telling her what a great thing this will be for mankind.
However, a lot of the ‘doers’ of the country have doubts that it will ever be able to walk straight.
It is felt that it will surely handicap our country as most other countries are still using the tried and proven four legged black dog.
It will however create more work for other Architects as they try to sort out the problems the design creates.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 10:06:19 am »
Bloody well put GMC. That puts it all into the correct prospective.

Footnote inserted here> (are all VMXers Liberals?? as there are no detracters of our comments regarding the Blood Nutter and her wayward "engineering")

Offline Tankslapper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Hydrosteer
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2011, 11:07:21 am »
Luke is right on the money !

I to was skeptical of the worth of an engineer in our business. Now having worked closely with a mechanical engineer for the last 16 years, the knowledge he has imparted on me is invaluable and has only complimented my mechanical knowledge. I now have a much clearer understanding of calculating loads, limitations, metals and stress factors than I would ever of learnt on the tools.

Dont be so quick to undervalue the worth of these people as they can be a great asset.

( he can also TIG weld with the best of them)

TM BILL

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2011, 12:12:55 pm »
Luke is right on the money !

I to was skeptical of the worth of an engineer in our business. Now having worked closely with a mechanical engineer for the last 16 years, the knowledge he has imparted on me is invaluable and has only complimented my mechanical knowledge. I now have a much clearer understanding of calculating loads, limitations, metals and stress factors than I would ever of learnt on the tools.

Dont be so quick to undervalue the worth of these people as they can be a great asset.

( he can also TIG weld with the best of them)

I dont think any of us undervalue GOOD engineers and what they bring to the table  ;) the problem as illistrated very well in the original cartoon , is when a freshly qualified grad turns up on site believing his shit dont stink and that the universe does revolve around him  ::).
The reailty is he has no comprehension whatsoever of how the real world works  ::) or any real world (read practical ) experience of the job.

Its the naievety and arrogance of these pricks that shits most tradesman.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:06:11 pm by TM BILL »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2011, 12:26:21 pm »
Its the naievety and arrogance of these pricks that shits most tradesman
Hallelujah Brother Bill!
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2011, 01:04:47 pm »
When I finished my trade I was INVITED to go on and become an Engineer.
Too many nice shelas/bikes/parties and cars to be bothered. ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.