Author Topic: kick ass but so true  (Read 9502 times)

Offline Rhodesy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
What I lack in bore n stroke
I make up in rpm

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: kick ass but so true
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:41:54 pm »
Well thats 10 megabytes and 3 minutes of my life that i will never get back, whats that got to do with VMX.
I noted a comment at the end - it said something about oxygen thief..... go figure
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

mx250

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:46:53 pm »
"How dare that working class pleb speak to a university educated member of the elite like that. The builder probably hasn't even learn't to wash his hands after his morning shit let alone appreciate the greatness of a true artist. He deserves his bad back and skin cancer." ;) ;D

(oldyzman, there's a little 'x' in the top corner you can click on if you don't like what you see ;)).

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:30:34 pm »
Well MX250, the skit may have been quite whitty, but i just expected to see something remotely to do with VMX...
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:40:28 pm »
it said something about oxygen thief..... go figure

I thought the worker said "Kronic" -but who's judging its only General Discussion   :)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rhodesy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:53:51 pm »
correct me if im wronge.isn't in the general discussion section?
What I lack in bore n stroke
I make up in rpm

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:15:11 pm »
Looks like i'm outvoted - all good Rhodsey?
Cheers
Brett

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 08:56:48 am »
So, to bring it 'on topic' I can tell you all of the 2nd yr mech engineering student that came to us for some 'hands on' experience as suggested and organised by his mum. The guy is 22 and been at uni for a few years before his dad suggested, as he is keen on cars, to do mech eng.
His very first question to me was-how does a 4 cycle engine work?-I thought ahhh....trick question, but no , he was serious!!
Over the couple of days he had with us I eventually got around to telling him-that the reason I had to remove the distributor from the engine to replace the engine mount was because some dip-stick, sitting at a desk, decided it would be at good idea to add an hour to a 10 minute job. 
This(only one example) is happening more and more in the newer models and can really cock up what should be a simple task.
I still don;t know if he knew what I was talking about to this day.....

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:20:57 am »
His very first question to me was-how does a 4 cycle engine work?-I thought ahhh....trick question, but no , he was serious!!

There is always a lot of debate within Universities as to whether they are teaching academic degrees or vocational training ..... so there is always a kind of expectation of vocational skills from people trained in theory that is based around research and developing further theory.

formerly Marc.com

TooFastTim

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 09:30:30 am »
I can speak here from experience, I started as a telephone sparky, became a technician and then did a conversion course to a masters in engineering.

But I reckon it's all upside down. There should be a solid path from sparky to Phd that doesn't require starting again. And all engineers should start at the bottom and you should be able to stop when you want and restart when you want.

I've had the same experience with graduates without any experience. They're effing useless!

TooFastTim

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 10:07:55 am »
Peter my experience was that I was pretty useless until I was about 35 (and I did the masters at night when working). When I was about 35 the theory and practical gelled. It was an epiphany!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 10:18:01 am »
I got bored so I did a 3 yr course in Air Con and Refridge so I could regas my fridge.
Now I can design Aircon setups for Hi rises. ;D
Chucked the fridge away because the course never mentioned it. ::)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 10:57:55 am »
I had a lecturer at uni once tell me a degree is just a license to learn.  That means you get a theoretical license and then have to go out a get practicle experience.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 02:16:16 pm »
Once upon a time(in a land far far away) you used to go on to become an engineer after you completed your apprenticship.

TM BILL

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 04:28:11 pm »
Once upon a time(in a land far far away) you used to go on to become an engineer after you completed your apprenticship.
Hear Hear  :) in fact a very active forum member with a broad passion for all things too wheels and unusual taste in swinging arms  ;D did just that . Worked his way up,put in the hrs and  did the hard yards and now reaps the benefits , Respect  8) :)