Author Topic: BEWARE RIDING AT MENAI  (Read 16267 times)

mx250

Re: BEWARE RIDING AT MENAI
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 02:27:18 pm »

I was always led to believe that the area closest to the reactor was not suitable for housing development because for years it was used as a toxic waste dump. Anyone who rode there back in the seventies will recall that if you didn't wash your bike straight after getting home the alloy would corrode like all hell.

The only dumping the reactor did was to bury items like gowns, gloves and implements which maybe extremely low level radioactive. These are buried behind the chain wire fence near the quarry.

The only other dumping was by the NSW Metropolitan Waste Management Authority which 'dammed' off several hundred acres natural gullies with earth works and then proceeded to fill them with every imaginable domestic and industrial waste a western society could produce and discard. (Of course the 'damming' was designed and guaranteed not to leak or leech any materials of any kind into the local watercourses or water tables. Several high profile pollies and several overpaid public servants sworn 'on their mother's grave' to this effect ::).

But of course those environmental vandals on motorcycles and mountain bikes will now be forced from the area with Draconian fines - that will save the planet ::).

Curly3

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 02:35:44 pm »
Jim gets a bit of a glow up at night, he's been going there for nearly 50 years ;D 

mx250

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 03:12:28 pm »
Jim gets a bit of a glow up at night, he's been going there for nearly 50 years ;D 
I've been riding there for 43 years haven't noticed myself glowing in the dark or any bits falling off ::).

We use to skinny dip in the creek next to the Heathcote Road and drink from the creeks during summer (pre Camel Back days ;)).

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 03:39:07 pm »
the aaec now ansto did dump stuff into mill creek(my dad installed the electrical in the reactor and then ran it for 20or so years)
on the vmx front chris dixon yamaha rider before steve gall used to work there but quit to ride yamahas mx

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 03:47:59 pm »
We use to skinny dip in the creek next to the Heathcote Road and drink from the creeks during summer (pre Camel Back days ).
Same here, I always wondered why my dick glowed in the dark ;D.

It's a wonder we're still alive after drinking from the creek Graeme. A really eccentric mate of ours loved a cuppa tea so he stashed a billy, a couple of cups, a few teabags and a little Metho camp oven in the bush adjacent to the creek and would nearly always stop for a cuppa at some stage during our rides.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 04:19:26 pm »
That was because of friction Firko, nothing to do with radiation.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 04:51:44 pm »
mill creek is nowere near heathcote road.its at the back of menai and runs into the georges not the wonnie
jim

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 06:11:18 pm »
That was because of friction Firko, nothing to do with radiation.

Ha   Ha   Ha    ::) ::)   99   100  firco... :o :o

Poppy...

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 08:11:07 pm »
Menai Yarn , FWIW

Bloody hell, that place brings back some memories !!
The bike mob EA and I hung around with at the Ponderosa, Caringbah in the Sixties used to go out to the Heathcote road for impromptu drags. But the run through the old Wonny road across the bridge up the other side, along the Menai straight past the old Servo, through the Menai Esses turn left and past the Bomb Factory onto the Heathcote road, that was the best part of it for me, anyone can go fast in a straight line !!

As a 19or 20 year old, I lived down the Wonny at the time and used to ride me T Bird  to work, at the AAEC in the Reproduction Unit , now I know what you’re thinking but we were the Printing section !!

Used to meet a older fella on an A10 at the junction of the Prince Edward Park Road and the Menai Rd.on the Wonny hill and it was on for young and old till we got to the Reactor, first few times, he beat me until I worked out that if I beat him through the Menai Esses, I would then get to the Reactor first !!, It worked !! he just nodded to me at the Reactor gate and then I noticed this three legged logo thingy on the front of his puddin basin helmet, didn’t think much of it at the time !!
THEN
I got the T120, he didn’t even see which way I went, UNTIL, one morning , waiting for him, I heard this strange clattery, rackety  noise coming down the Wonny towards me, It was him, but on a different bike, strange looking thing, single cylinder, all clip ons, hairpin valve springs  and noise from a mega, lights and plates seemed to be just cobbled on, same number plate as the BSA, strange that !!

Anyway, across the old Wonny bridge we go, up the other side , ' phark, that thing goes round corners” I thought, then he gave it it’s head along the Menai straight , not a hope in hell of the Bonny catching it !!, he disappeared though the Menai Esses, I did catch a glimpse of it along the straights leading to the Reactor.

He waited for me at the Reactor gate, just nodded, and went on in , I did notice it was a Norton , said so on the tank, a humpy single seat, and , I know now, didn’t then, an OHC engine.
He went back to the Beesa next day and we just rode to work, reasonably sedately but having fun , we never spoke a word to each other, just nodded. This went on for months until he and I moved on. Never found out who he was.

When EA and I got married , we lived at Menai for quite a while, just opposite the old Menai Servo, brought our fist child , Kerry, home there, , Menai was all chook farms and gravel pits then ,conned the local grader driver to carve out a quarter mile oval underneath the power lines, not far from where Bro Jim lives now.
Aside from tearing around on our Dirt Track bikes , I used to shoot foxes up there with a 303, no-one took a blind bit of notice.
Our daughter, Kerry had her frist ride on a bike on the powerlines track, two weeks old , stuffed down the front of me jumper, on me Skids bike giggled her head off, didnt get a car licence till she was 32, rode bikes until she had 2 kids, maybe I started something !!

Menai , Bangor , Barden Ridge or whatever fancy name it’s called now is a very, very different place,
went through there last Sunday, to visit me Mam and Dad , the Wonny hill is a shadow of it’s former self, the Menai Esses are long gone, and there are far too many people, and too many memories!!
Foss

The only photo I have of the Powerline track at Menai, on one of me Ariels, early 1970

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:22:05 pm by JAP 454 »

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 08:26:38 pm »
to the left of the above pic is bangor public school and danderbong st,accross the road is the pub and 1.2klm from my house
jim
454(see its a family race no)

Curly3

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 08:36:38 pm »
C'mon Foss, don't keep us all in suspenders, who was the other bloke with the 3 legged logo on his puddin.
Rolff Harris, Jake the Peg?

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 08:37:51 pm »
Jap, forgive me for asking what is undoubtably stupid, but...
The three legged helmet logo - is that referring to the Isle Of Man ?  and you are implying a Manx Norton?
Luke

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 08:43:57 pm »
Naah , Slides,
All I knew, found out later , he was a Pom, doing techy stuff at the reactor, and he'd ridden in the Manx Grand Prix , was here for a couple of  years, rode a few meetings here , then went back to the UK, learnt a lot about riding and tactics off that fella.
Foss.

Luke, yeah as I said , I found out much later, he'd ridden in  the Manx, and It was an Inter or a Manx , probably the former
Never forgotten him or the rides !!
Foss
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:47:42 pm by JAP 454 »

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 10:21:14 pm »
The days of riding in the bush at Menai, even illegally, are numbered. As like everywhere else, proposals are well underway to swallow up the area by housing development.
http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/news/general/gandangaras-grand-vision-for-bushland/2229932.aspx   

mx250

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 10:48:54 pm »
The days of riding in the bush at Menai, even illegally, are numbered. As like everywhere else, proposals are well underway to swallow up the area by housing development.
http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/news/general/gandangaras-grand-vision-for-bushland/2229932.aspx   
I have been amazed how long we have had access to the area. It was probably the best riding area close to Sydney.

The other story there is the 'white' aboriginal 'holier than thou' custodian of the natural environment selling off the land for an indecent profit ::). It was originally Federal land designated Military Reserve granted to the Aboriginals for an Aboriginal Cultural Resort or retreat, and because it had Aboriginal cravings, artifacts and was of aboriginal significance.