Author Topic: BEWARE RIDING AT MENAI  (Read 16260 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
BEWARE RIDING AT MENAI
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:31:44 pm »
i have been riding and testing bikes at menai for about 40 years.today i was approched by a aust fed policeman.he asked me what i was doing and i told him.plug chops and changing main jets,i also told him i was almost finished but he replied you are finished can i see your drivers lic.he then continued to tell me i was on ansto land and i could be in all sorts of trouble.i was on a small abandoned road near the tip entrence opp the mini bike club.he then showed me the brand new signs stating the new fines.
trespassing $1000.00
riding motorbike un regoed  $1000.00
 car parking 1000.00
my dad was with me another 1000.00.
he checked out everything lic car rego trailer rego
after about 20min he came back to me and said i was lucky as if it were the nsw police i would have coped the lot plus loss of points.he took my name and address and said to me this is your 1 and only warning next time it will be the fines.
these afp are at ansto accross the road and see the cars parked come over and book you.a worker from the tip came by as i was finished packing up and asked me how much of a fine i got as they do it all the time now the new signs are up.i said just a warning he said i was lucky.
never going to menai again

Curly3

Re: BEWARE RIDING AT MENAI
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:49:57 pm »
I hear you Jim.
I dodged a similar bullet a few weeks ago, obviously you & I look like good, honest , hard working middle aged gentleman otherwise the gov't would be $5K better off.
Evidence that there are still fair & reasonable coppers out there, I don't know how many?

TooFastTim

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:43:00 pm »
Thre are plans afoot for that land

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:49:45 pm »
its right next to the tip and across the tip road from the st george mini bike club.i have riden there for years its a great entrance to all the old fire trails in menai.i cant see how a 4x4 can get you if you were on a bike with no car i can ride from there and end up at alfords point.all the mountain bike riders enter from the old ansto enterence rd.they are going to stop them as well acording to the signs on the above post
jim

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:59:54 pm »
1,000 what a load of crap for parking your car.....
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:26:48 pm »
.all the mountain bike riders enter from the old ansto enterence rd.they are going to stop them as well acording to the signs on the above post
jim

Yes bloody mountain bikers eroding the pristine wilderness that is Menai. ::) they are probably threatening and endangered species.
formerly Marc.com

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 09:38:29 am »
I know that bit of road and like you say great for plug chops and getting things sorted.
Like a lot of people here I've been riding dirt bikes at Menai since the 70's and have been very lucky to have dodged any fines but still take the occassional risk.
In the last year or so I've been getting out there on a mountain bike, which I can ride to from home, still enjoying the bush and all the familiar tracks but at a much slower pace and without the fear of a copper waiting around the next bend to spoil my day. Not any more. Came across the new signs as I was ambling along a couple of weeks ago and haven't been back there since. Fortunately plenty of other places to go mountain biking in the area.
Its ANSTO's land, at first I thought It was for security reasons, but bush walking is still OK.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 09:47:49 am »
Write to the local member and ask them what is the reason for the change.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 12:14:42 pm »
Better still grow a beard , chuck a tea towel on ya head , put on a backpack ,jump on ya mountain bike and go for ya koyte.[Quoite , coyt . I can,t spell it and can,t find it in dictionary , bummer]
 Would be nice if you could film it for us. ;D ;D ;D ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

mx250

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 12:32:22 pm »
Thre are plans afoot for that land

Whatcha know Tim? - to be turned into suburbia?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 02:00:35 pm »
Better still grow a beard , chuck a tea towel on ya head

Then you are too busy kicking down doors and whipping people for drinking alchohol to have time for much else.  Still the Sharia law home invaders will probably get a smaller fine than an Aussie would get doing plug chops at Menai.
formerly Marc.com

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 02:04:26 pm »
Its ANSTO's land, at first I thought It was for security reasons, but bush walking is still OK
Methinks it's ANSTO'S lawyers waving the big litigation scare at them. I rode there as far back as the early seventies and seem to think that it's been ilegal to ride there since at least the mid seventies but they've often turned a blind eye over it, depending on the police or local bodies philosophy at the time.

Whatcha know Tim? - to be turned into suburbia?
I was always led to believe that the area closest to the reactor was not suitable for housing development because for years it was used as a toxic waste dump. Anyone who rode there back in the seventies will recall that if you didn't wash your bike straight after getting home the alloy would corrode like all hell.

The distinctive smell of the place would stay in your clothes and on your bike if you didn't thoroughly clean the gunk off. I've never smelled anything that even comes close to that distinctive 'Menai pit' odor anywhere else. Back in the 90's a friend bought a basket case '74 Elsinore 250 that was covered in concrete like mud. A few days later I went over to his house to see the bike and as soon as he opened the garage door, that familiar Menai aroma wafted up my nostrils. I hadn't been to Menai in 20 years but it immediately came back to me. It appears that the last time the bike had been ridden was in the pit at Menai back in the mid seventies where it had broken a gearbox and  taken home and thrown in a garden shed without a wash and forgotten for twenty years. Whatever it was that created that awful aroma must be strong stuff to last for twenty years.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 02:11:48 pm »
I was always led to believe that the area closest to the reactor was not suitable for housing development because for years it was used as a toxic waste dump.

Ideal for first home buyers, bit of top soil and fancy entrance gate with roll on lawn and a nice name like 'Menai Mirages'

you know the developers motto  'by the time the birth defects pop up the sales office is long gone'. ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 02:23:15 pm »
Won't need any streetlighting - should glow in the dark..