Author Topic: Resto / Build Costs  (Read 10208 times)

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Resto / Build Costs
« on: July 19, 2011, 11:48:05 am »
Morning all,

thought i would upload my current costs associated with getting into motorbikes at a basic level,

thought it may be handy for others thinking of doing up a basic bike, i know most on here are already well experienced in building bikes, im not and from the outset wanted to track my cash so i know the costs of my hobby.

Please upload or mention your costs if you like as a good piece of information for ppl looking at commencing a build.

i have also included any associated costs from tools to jackets and motorbike licence.  table is separate with total cost of all inclusive down bottom left.

- bare in mind bike was free and it was in 95% working order so this is prob a cheap example.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:51:10 am by JADERD »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Resto / Build Costs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 12:13:08 pm »
Oh just wait until the real VMX bug hits, you won't want to keep any records like that. Actually I keep records and 9 times out of 10 I could probably buy it already done out of the US cheaper, but where would be the fun in that.

Anyway a few costs in there like Jackets are not directly bike related and your tools are capital plant that hopefully will do more than one bike.  ;)

formerly Marc.com

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 12:19:19 pm »
Both Paul and I have made comments on what a bike is worth on a different thread, a desirable vintage (Maico 490) base price in a relatively good condition from the US could cost $5-$6.5K US, Transport Taxes and Fees $800-$1,400 Aus Dollars. Rebuild cost can vary depending on what you want and what needs to be replaced/refurbished. I know I have spent over $6K on mine, because I wanted as close to a new bike with all the proper mods and additional billet bits learn't over the last 30 years of these bikes history to improve the bike. My time does not get added into these costs as like other owners we don't put a dollar value on our time.

So now after spending all that money and time we get to value what the bike is worth, my estimates would be Bike cost/build-parts-transport/outside work costs/bike desirability/bike availability = local value of bike. I have put a insurance value on my bike of $20K, I believe my bikes true value is around 15-18k. What annoys me is when someone says I saw one on Ebay for $5-$6k and cost of shipping is only $800-$1400 so this bike must be worth around $6.500 dollars here. That is not my experience, also some marques are cheaper to rebuild that others. Maico's are worth more because the cost to buy any Maico parts or after market parts are lot more expensive that say doing up a RM, YZ, KX, Husky or most other makes. So at the end of the day, my Maico is worth what I know it is worth even though others may have a different opinion. It is all perspective and taste, but a true cost is applicable.  
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 12:26:40 pm »
yeah definitely.

as for insurance mine is with shannons, full comp on limited use as mine will be reg on club reg with the 90 day option, joined VJMC the other week is only $46 per year and insured at 2k value at moment, once i am ready to put it on the road the guy will assess and check some other sources for value (they didnt have F11B or any F11's on their insurance charts etc) he mentioned for same premium of $46 value of bike may be 4-5k which id be more than happy with as its not a rare bike really.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:28:43 pm »
Your Bike is worth what someone pays for it when you need to sell it. Nothing more or less.
A real complete rebuild restro with new shocks and ignition is 5k IMO.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 12:33:17 pm »
id hate to think or comment on what just one of my maicos have cost .especialy now that my wife was sitting down reading this forum the other nite.she stood up and said she wanted a new car

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 12:36:01 pm »
id be more than happy with as its not a rare bike really.

Its as rare as you want it to be  ;)  -- enjoyment thats what its all about  :P  ;D
I wouldn't dare dream of adding up our expense chart for a bike, let alone one year,we cant take it with us hey !!  ;D
Well done to you for the stats Jaderd..nice to see someone elses costings  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:54:50 pm »
I bought a KTM basket case, $1600, transport, $600, powder coating $200, Rechrome forks $400, Refurbish ohlins $500.  Total motor rebiuld, $1500, rewind stator, $300, rebuild motor with new crank $800 (all because of one little nut, no not me).  New tyres, steering head bearings, new carby, Lewis brother pipe, plastics, manual and it goes on and guess what it still not running!!!!  18 months on
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:54:55 pm »
I reckon most of my race bikes owe me around $1500~2500 when they front up to their first race.
That's for a race worthy bike that matches my ability as a rider... I can see a zillion other places to spend money on them, but I just can't see the point in paying lots of money to make a bike pretty and/or making it super trick, and then thrashing it thought the mud and rocks for a midpack finish.
It definitely gets easier/cheaper as you build a pile of spares, and as you get to know what works and what doesn't.  And as you meet more people.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 01:13:59 pm »
my bikes usually cost around the $2.5K mark and then after riding them for a while i set about with a few home grown refinements.
i always start out collecting reciepts and documenting things along the way and then for whatever reason i just forget and couldn't be bothered with how much the damn thing cost.
it's just fun stuff! :D
"flat bickie"

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 01:16:08 pm »
awesome its good to read everyones info, im looking forward to more the social aspects too, i am attending the VJMC monthly meet this coming tuesday to get to know members etc, feel its important not just for the information but also as i plan on getting club reg which means the club should know who i am etc before they allow me to get the permit through their club.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 01:21:59 pm »
You also have winners and losers, my HL500 is probably the most expensive bike in the garage...
my F1 Ducati one of the cheapest so swings and round abouts.

I have found that it works out better if you don't buy some shitter to begin with .... buy good bits that don't need too much work..... my RM125C that I am just finishing owes less than 3 grand with Simons foks, FMF head etc, just watch out for cheap clean parts and stock pile them.... I picked up original bore RM125C motor for $150 and clean frame for $80, pair of decent wheels $120 and started from there.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:27:50 pm »
Totally understand where you're coming from marc.  my next project when i can get to it is a Rickman Zundapp metisse, i was given, really looking forward to this one as was owned by a family friend.  Have frame, forks, wheels and 80 per cent of the motor
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 01:34:12 pm »
there are names for people like you, but damn it, noice!!!lol
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »
My Ducati rebuilt cost more than any VMX , small countries have less debt than that cost. Just to rebuild brembo brakes was like $800.00
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle