Author Topic: The Infamous Vern Grayson Cheney Triumph Case  (Read 35409 times)

mx250

Re: The Infamous Vern Grayson Cheney Triumph Case
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2011, 03:52:25 pm »

Marc you look better in the beige number, those mismatched cups detract from your eyes.

You crazy kids.

Freaky, your posts need health warnings ;).

mx250

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2011, 03:58:43 pm »
Nathan just about had me convinced to do a YDS3 or YM1 based pre65 8). Almost......... :P

mainline

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2011, 06:04:32 pm »
Points ignition B40 not in pre65, bummer, there goes my plan.
Quite frankly it is these details I don't understand, and can't abide. You can use unseen technology that changes the bike's performance, but argumentative visual detail will have you castrated and ostracized  ???. Or so it seems to me ::).

I'll second that.

I'm not going to be racing my B40 at Nationals, or even be up the front at local races, but it seems more than a bit pedantic to be actively looking for reasons to exclude bikes/engines.

At some clubs/meets in the UK you have to apply to enter the race meet and depending on how early you apply/who you know, you may not get a ride. In this situation I can understand drawing a firm line in the sand and determining which bikes 'really' belong in which class. But when you have a race meet in Australia and 4 bloody bikes turn up it seems unbelievably stupid to try and exclude one because it has a part on it not available until six months after the class cutoff date.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face is the expression I believe?

I think those in the position to do something about these rules should tell the freaking trainspotters who oppose anything and everything to get a freaking life before we all end up riding 1989 cr250's (not that there's anything wrong with 1989 CR250's ;D)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2011, 06:34:51 pm »
And i'll second you Mainline
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Curly3

« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2011, 06:54:35 pm »
I'll third or fourth that.
Well said Mainline.

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2011, 07:12:13 pm »
Hi Firko. I remember 1995 Nats very well as you would remember for me ;D. Vern was bloody awsome. 1996 I also remember not as fondly :'(. The main thing I rember of 1996 was the meeting on Friday night before the event even started. A guy stood up in front of all of us & said "If your bike past last year its ok this year except Vern's Cheney". I beleive this was the turning point & were all the S**T hit the fan.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2011, 07:58:00 pm »

If you,re going to race one of these you might consider a different make of front rim ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41:00 pm »
Well spotted, son !  :o
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2011, 09:45:33 pm »
Points B-40's out !!! looks like me and my young bloke are out ! along with slide's and i think mainline's is also a points model from memory ? we mighten be making up the class but there's 3 out !   
I'm not going to be racing my B40 at Nationals, or even be up the front at local races, but it seems more than a bit pedantic to be actively looking for reasons to exclude bikes/engines
Calm down boys :o :o....The current rulebook says BSA: 'All except B44 and B50'. Which means that the B40 is legal whether it's got points or a dissy. I'm pretty sure nothing's going to change in the engine eligibility criteria.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2011, 10:56:13 pm »
That's how I read it so I'm going to stick with my project.
As said by several others, the B40 may not get me to the pointy end but it'll be a fun thing to ride.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2011, 08:28:19 am »
  That's the way i read it as well  when i started the project(all but B44/B50) , but sounds a bit like moving goal posts to me ? iam  going to put it on the road as first priority but was also piecing together scrambles kit for it ,it would be good to know for sure one way or another before any further expense ???   ps welcome back firko your knowledge and enthusiasm was missed :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:30:50 am by Huskibul »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2011, 09:36:10 am »
ps welcome back firko your knowledge and enthusiasm was missed
Thanks, it's good to be back....... ;D
The B40 is a great little entry level pre 65 bike. The engine isn't that different to the B44 and can be made to go pretty smartly, especially on methanol. When the old 350 class was a part of the dirt track scene, the B40 ruled the roost until the 350 Maico came along at the beginning of the seventies. You can pick B40 engines or complete bikes up reasonably cheap when compared to the B44 or Triumph 500. They can be taken out to 420cc or therabouts and the frame while being a tad heavy, a bit of hacksaw and Oxy acetylene engineering can achieve wonders. The Army used B40's so there's plenty of them out there and parts are pretty easily procured. I like 'em a lot.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:37:43 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2011, 10:28:46 am »
 My memory what's left of it tells me there were stories about the army B40's having a problem with the bigend bearing .Is that right?
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

mainline

« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2011, 08:41:18 pm »
Points B-40's out !!! looks like me and my young bloke are out ! along with slide's and i think mainline's is also a points model from memory ? we mighten be making up the class but there's 3 out !   
I'm not going to be racing my B40 at Nationals, or even be up the front at local races, but it seems more than a bit pedantic to be actively looking for reasons to exclude bikes/engines
Calm down boys :o :o....The current rulebook says BSA: 'All except B44 and B50'. Which means that the B40 is legal whether it's got points or a dissy. I'm pretty sure nothing's going to change in the engine eligibility criteria.

all is calm ;D Actually Firko, I wasn't specifically referring to the points/distributor B40 engine scenario in my post. More the bloody mindedness that some have when it comes to the minute details of period correctness. I don't think the handful or so of spectators who turn up to watch the average vintage race meet really think they've been hard done by because someone is running a CZ rear hub with a bolt-on sprocket instead of a rivetted job, I've never seen anyone throw their bucket of chips to the ground and storm off.

If someone really wants to insist on accurately reproducing the era in a particular class, they'd better make sure they're wearing all the period clothing, and running crappy period correct tyres, and use some dodgy old mower oil in their engine.

ted

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2011, 12:24:35 am »
I've never seen anyone throw their bucket of chips to the ground and storm off

You have hot chips at your meets..............wow
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:27:02 am by ted »