Author Topic: Swingarm of the Gods has risen again  (Read 11924 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Swingarm of the Gods has risen again
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 04:43:09 pm »
i have always wondered if it would have been better if the arm was fitted in the other way around ? surely it would have more travel that way.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 05:18:04 pm »
The bike looks trick with the period aftermarket bits so i reckon you should just leave it as it is or just do it how you want. I like the silver swingarm and dont see any point in hiding it with black paint. I'm not sure what brand the front fender is but it does not look that terrible and i'm not sure what the fuss is about.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 06:48:35 pm »
i have always wondered if it would have been better if the arm was fitted in the other way around ? surely it would have more travel that way.

You must know some tricks to fitting swingarms that I'm not aware of ???
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

oldfart

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »
I think Freaky is talking about rotating it  ;D

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 11:02:02 am »
Yeah I have White Brothers Banana arm lying about in my war chest.... will build another bike about it but not necessarily a TT500 with long suspension..... DR400 maybe
formerly Marc.com

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 11:45:17 am »
have always wondered if it would have been better if the arm was fitted in the other way around ? surely it would have more travel that way.
??? ??? How does that work Freaky?
I think Freaky is talking about rotating it 
Maybe it's the morphine kicking in but I can't get my head around what he means. If he means flipping it over, you'd get a bike you'd need a step ladder to climb aboard with no increase in travel and a totally illogical shock angle. If he means turning it around so the axle end becomes the pivot end, I ...errrr, I'm lost for words ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »
Maybe it's the morphine kicking in but I can't get my head around what he means. If he means flipping it over, you'd get a bike you'd need a step ladder to climb aboard

Its the morphine Firko, go easy on that Oxycontin ( Hillbilly Heroin) or you will end up like ole Liz Taylor.... anyways the shear genius of that swingarm is you have a heap of possible shock mounting holes, flipped or sunny side up you have a position for all occasions.... like me when I was a young bloke growing up in the country  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 07:09:28 pm »
Preston Petty front guard on and pretty as a picture ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 07:30:48 pm »
Fu*k em all Marc. The bike's just fine as it is.  ;) It's the bike you built. Let 'em build their own cookie cutter "mine's the same as yours" bikes and you go on building what you want, how you want it. ::)

I was starting to think that.  I am no Suzuki expert, but it looks fine to me.  Maybe a Tony D guard would look nicer, but the one that's on there looks ok to me.

If it was a NOS special that has taken 15 years to get ever last shim correct then it wouldnt hit that target.  As a race bike I think it looks ace.

Good for you

oldfart

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »
Much bettera ;D     holy snappin duck shit that turbo is jinormus.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 07:55:03 pm »
Marc,
It would look so much better without the dodgy Simons ignition cover. I know they are rare - but too much yellow.

Magnesium is much cooler.

And the PP looks heaps better.
VMX42

P.S. now show us some pics when it gets dirty…
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 10:36:50 pm »
I was starting to think that.  I am no Suzuki expert, but it looks fine to me.  Maybe a Tony D guard would look nicer, but the one that's on there looks ok to me.

If it was a NOS special that has taken 15 years to get ever last shim correct then it wouldnt hit that target.  As a race bike I think it looks ace.

Good for you

That is a Tony D guard must be the angle ..... anyway it was built on the cheap from a pile of bits I already had to actually use, I like to keep a balance between riders and trailer queens. 
formerly Marc.com

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 11:09:12 pm »
All I'd add is a couple of FMF stickers, love that head but the rest of it looks pretty cool too. Very nice 8)