Author Topic: Another Ebay Scam to be aware of.  (Read 8073 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Another Ebay Scam to be aware of.
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:08:16 am »
Well kids, it’s certainly buyer beware in Ebay land!
I’ve just sold an item, which went to India of all places. Buyer took 12 days to pay with one communication 3 days after the sale to say he was paying, then nothing. When he did pay it came with the message “We’ll wait until the 5th July for delivery” WTF?
Item posted by Registered Post with the Delivery Confirmation option.
Posted on the 14th June.
Last night (6th July) the buyer opens a “Item not sent Case” and this morning Ebay refunds him $428.00 out of my account.
WTF!
Ebay’s only response:
Item not sent with tracking number. Not withstanding the time frame allowed for postage does anyone else think this unreasonable?
I'll try and talk with Australia Post about what happens re the Delivery Confirmation, but.....

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Another Ebay Scam to be aware of.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:11:20 am »
If it was sent registered then he has to sign for it so Aus post should have the records.  That will give you proof for ebay.

I have noticed some sellers that sell worldwide exclude certain countries.  Italy's a popular exclusion  because of their dodgy postal system.

trailietrash

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:41:30 am »
Did the buyer pay with Paypal? was it your Paypal account that the funds were withdrawn from?
If so, Paypal as well as Ebay should have contacted you about this issue and you need to contact them (Paypal) via the response email address in the message they sent you or through you Paypal account resolution page and provide them with the tracking number and also scan and send via email a copy of the con note. Also send them and Ebay, the message reference number the buyer sent you and highlight to them that it contains information that is contrary to Ebay policy i.e. the threat of action if item not recieved by buyers demanded date. Ebay gives up to 45 days to pursue this action so why the rush by the buyer.

Registered Post International is for items less than 2kg and your customer copy of the con note should have a barcode with the tracking number written underneath it
.If you go to ...
http://auspost.com.au/track/

and type in the tracking number you should get some idea of where the parcel is in the system.

good luck

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:38:54 pm »
yeah come to think of it, Ebay will correspond with you first before making a decision.

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 05:48:56 pm »
It was sent Registered and someone does have to sign...I've told ebay that in my [vain] appeal against the case. Yes paid by Pay Pal and funds then with drawn from Pay Pal, no contact from Pay Pal at all yet.
Yes they corresponded alright..within hours of my reply I got this.
Hi ********,
eBay Customer Support has reviewed the case and made a final decision.

We issued a full refund of AU $423.20 on Jul 06, 2011 to the buyer. As described in the eBay Buyer Protection program, the refund includes the purchase price, plus original shipping. This amount will be deducted from your PayPal account or charged to your preferred reimbursement payment method.

Decision:
This case has been decided in the buyer's favor.

Comments:
We didn't receive valid tracking information from you. Tracking information is required in order to be protected from losing a case and to confirm that the buyer received the item.

Have contacted Oz Post Customer Care, who have told me today that "item has been processed and on route to destination"
Turns out the customer (me) can't track Registered Post international...but Oz Post can.
The onus is now on me apparently to ring India Post tonight and report back to Customer Care tomorrow. Tried to ring Ebay and got an "emergency shutdown" message. "No one available - Thank you - Goodbye"..clunk.
What is really pissing me off like you won't believe, is the fact that the buyer has set the rules for delivery date and Ebay has simply agreed with him and totally ignored any plea from me. >:(

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 06:05:47 pm »
So to avoid this, do sellers have to send the tracking details to ebay somehow? I dont like the idea how they can just pull back the money from your account and still get the goods.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 06:11:18 pm »
Well there is a box where you enter tracking info for your trade...which I did. But apparently if either you or the trading partner can't access and use this then it won't be accepted as a tracking number and your deemed to have not sent the item as it can't be tracked......I can feel the blood pressure rising and the shakes beginning as I type this.  >:(
Even though it can be tracked by Australia Post this friggen system has let me down big time.
I believe you MUST send Express international for the trading partners to be able to use the tracking facility.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:20:17 pm »
Yes i would be very pissed off too. I hope you get ebay/pp to listen to you.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 06:33:08 pm »
I'd be taking a trip to india to get some money it would cost you more but you could get the slimball you had the address and name right.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 07:14:49 pm »
Just to complicate things a little more. It won't matter if your parcel leaves OZ with a tracking number. Unless the country of destination uses the same bar code system you won't be able to track it. The item will only be tracked as far as leaving OZ. When it gets to the country of destination and after customs has finished with it. It gets handed over to their postal system. They then re number the item and send it on. No records are kept of the original number so you won't be able to marry the two up. the item will be signed for by the recipient but you won't be able to prove it was your item. They can just say they didn't get it or the item they signed for was a diferent one.
Just to add insult to injury, the new number they put on the parcel will probably be for their cheapest recorded service. Even if you could prove it had gone missing the compensation paid out would be minimal.
The thing to do is to check with OZ post and ask if the item will be tracked to its destination using the same tracking number. If not use fed ex or ups at three times the price as they use their own system door to door.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 07:21:35 pm »
Ok why are ebay not made aware of this then!!!!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 09:33:12 pm »
Paypal as well as Ebay should have contacted you about this issue and you need to contact them (Paypal)

that is contrary to Ebay policy i.e. the threat of action if item not recieved by buyers demanded date. Ebay gives up to 45 days to pursue this action so why the rush by the buyer.

What did you sell?
Alarm bells would have been ringing for me if it was bike parts to India.

I was under the impression that confirmation wasn't part of the deal, and that you only needed proof that it was posted as the rest is out of your hands.

I also suspect that they won't sign for it as they don't actually want the goods, they just want the paypal money.

I would threaten legal action as this all sounds like it is outside of normal policy
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 09:42:54 pm »
Ebay is geared to the buyer. Works fine most of the time, but when you get a dick buyer, its really crap.

Some months ago, the wife copped a split personality nut-job who caused us a ton of grief.
Short version is that his courier had picked the item up, but Ebay were going to refund his money to him simply because the "Item not Received" claim was about to expire - and Ebay didn't give a f#$k about the details leading up to it. Even got told by Ebay "live help" that we should just refund the cash to him, 'cause they were going to do it anyhow...
Luckily, the item got to him when he was in not-totally-insane mode, and he closed off the dispute hours before Ebay were going to f$%k us over.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »
If you are about to get reamed can you close your paypal and ebay accounts so there's no access to your bank before they try to take funds?
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 09:57:00 pm »
The item was a coin set (Don Bradman  8)) To help pay for my project Z1.
The buyer actually has 300 odd trade history all positive, though at least one positive feedback talk of extremely slow payment.(another ebay glitch...leave negative feedback only if you want retaliatory feedback to your account)

I was under the impression that confirmation wasn't part of the deal, and that you only needed proof that it was posted as the rest is out of your hands.
This is the bit that's got me F***ed! I've actually rung Ebay (Oz) twice now. First time I was told to ring back and they'd "look into it in the meantime" and put me onto the decision making team if I ring back, which was today.
Rang back this afternoon, had to go through the whole rigmarole again was then transferred to the relevant dept.....which turns out is in the US and got the out of hours message and cut off. Rang back again, and told yes it's in the US you'll have to call back (yet again) tomorrow at 9 we'll transfer you then.  >:(   
I've suggest ( and firmly believe) that this must be at the least borderline illegal? This is BS  >:(
I've basically had my account raided and been defamed on a global scale with his Neg feedback, and all with absolutely no request for the postage documentation ( I can't even get them to provide an email address where I could at least send a scanned copy) .
Oz Post Customer Care also suggested the 45 day time frame.
I'll see what eventuates tomorrow, but if I'm brushed off then, I'm not sure what comes next?
Suck it and get on with life, spend a shirtload of cash on legals or maybe just try Fair Trading.