Author Topic: ATK605 How many of these are out there?  (Read 5847 times)

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile

cheapracer

Re: ATK605 How many of these are out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 05:01:23 pm »
At a 4 stroke fun day at Veresdale years ago a guy turned up on one and there were some snickers especially when he used the electric start which was a bit whimpy back then.

The snickers stopped when he went out and proceeded to blow everyone away doing huge roosts around the outside of people and just 2 gears higher everywhere - it was David Armstrong!

Was fantastic to see it and David in action.

I see thats Qld registered, wonder if it was David's bike?

Offline brebel

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 07:16:33 pm »
Hey!  I can update you on that bike, I bought it from a bloke who resides at Coffs Harbour, we met at port Macquarie for pick up, I'm a sucker for these rotax engines and I really wanted one with an electric leg.
this pic was taken at Port mac maccas just after loading on my ute;

Oh and it wasn't Davids bike, although it doesn't feel right to advertise the previous owners name, he took it for one last ride around the block and I have to say my first impression of him as a rider was that he's a lunatic, he thrashed the beejeesus out of it I don't think the guy has any mechanical sympathy  :-[, I was glad to see him get off of it (not that I have anything against the guy personally). Its not in the condition that the advertisement would have you believe, it needs a bit of tlc but its relatively pretty tidy just the same...................my other rotax kick start;
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:09:45 pm by brebel »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 07:28:16 pm »
Dont know much about the modernish bike  ;) but is that a SR5 ute and/or does anyone have any input on these utes...auto diesel ??
hijack...
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline brebel

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 07:34:27 pm »
Dont know much about the modernish bike  ;) but is that a SR5 ute and/or does anyone have any input on these utes...auto diesel ??
hijack...
cheers A

2004 Navara 3L diesel, lots of options, its a beaut ute!

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:41:04 pm »
Hey Alison
Have a 1996 CCM Rotax version which is basically the Brit kit of the ATK. Just loves big open spaces. Haven't carried it in my SR5. Mine's auto-petrol. Nice to drive, a little thirsty on gas and there seems to be some issues around the auto, fitting an oil cooler and warranty. seems quite a few show a red light when towing caravans. "Ask Smithy" I think its called is the auto writeup  in the Courier(Qld) and the Sun (Vic) prbably National and a few articles have cropped up. Nice vehicle and cruises nicely. Keep th standard tyres/wheels, i fitted some bling ones which make it a bit harder on turning, but I always like a bit of show as the old "go" just doesn't seem to cut it these days. catchya up at something?
Rosco86 (formely of Mackay but now happily residing in Bris Vegas.)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:47:53 pm »
At a 4 stroke fun day at Veresdale years ago a guy turned up on one and there were some snickers especially when he used the electric start which was a bit whimpy back then.

The snickers stopped when he went out and proceeded to blow everyone away doing huge roosts around the outside of people and just 2 gears higher everywhere - it was David Armstrong!

Dave's bike was a '96 and this one's a '99 model. ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 07:50:31 pm »
Hey Alison
Have a 1996 CCM Rotax version which is basically the Brit kit of the ATK. Just loves big open spaces. Haven't carried it in my SR5. Mine's auto-petrol. Nice to drive, a little thirsty on gas and there seems to be some issues around the auto, fitting an oil cooler and warranty. seems quite a few show a red light when towing caravans. "Ask Smithy" I think its called is the auto writeup  in the Courier(Qld) and the Sun (Vic) prbably National and a few articles have cropped up. Nice vehicle and cruises nicely. Keep th standard tyres/wheels, i fitted some bling ones which make it a bit harder on turning, but I always like a bit of show as the old "go" just doesn't seem to cut it these days. catchya up at something?
Rosco86 (formely of Mackay but now happily residing in Bris Vegas.)

mmmmmm  yes seems these day they maybe comprimising the quality of flash engine for a good old work horse..sick of the surging in the diesel Triton with the manifolds full of black unburnt carbon?..Ive seen it at the service dept-not good juju.
They keep saying its the additives in the fuel,,but Im not convinsede on this 07 model with 116,000 km on the clock.  :(  
The mine site around seem to be happy with the SR5,but then thats a mine site !!
Bet your doing some miles with the swim champ still  ;D  8)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline brebel

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 08:01:19 pm »

94 model actually, I think the 96 or 97 models onwards had the odd ball one sided frame.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 08:06:41 pm »
Round trip before Easter was Bris-Syd and a 5th in the Aust Open 50m Backstroke, 3 days at home and Bris-Adelaide-Melb-Bris for last hit at the Age nationals. Made finals in Fly and Backstroke. Didn't get on the podium but those ahead were on the Aust Junior Olympic, like Kenneth To who is vying for a spot on the big team. Hard game, need to be 1 or 2 in Oz and doing competitive World times to make an Oz team. Pretty proud thou he has the 10th fastest 50m back time in the world at the moment. I'd be happy top 10 in a race in the 50+ division (even if there were only 11 starters). Didn't ned to do the Melb leg but Jo saw her Mum and Dad and we caught Saturday at HBBB. Didn't ralise you and Steve were there until the airwaves later. Will definetly have a nice weslake to putter around on next year. If coming to Bris let me know,anything we can do we will. We know what its like to travel and every saving on accom and meals just makes it a bit easier. Can buy more bike parts that way or more togs in our case. Catchya.
Rosco

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 08:36:02 pm »

94 model actually, I think the 96 or 97 models onwards had the odd ball one sided frame.
He got it brand new from Bert Flood in '96 for the Thumper Nats so how is it a '94 model?

Offline brebel

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 09:01:09 pm »
Just had a look at the compliance plate, it says 12/96  ;D my bad

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 09:05:34 pm »
Just had a look at the compliance plate, it says 12/96  ;D my bad
I was talking about Dave's bike being a '96, yours is a different bike isn't it?

Offline brebel

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 09:26:42 pm »
There was a breakdown in communications here somewhere JohnnyO but im glad I checked because I thought my ATK was a 94 model......which it may well be but aust complianced in 96.  :-\

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:52 am »
Brebel, your a man after me own heart. Bit of a Rotax sucker myself.  Feel free to pm me if you need any info.

It will be either a 94 or 95 model. Bert Flood sold them into 96 and just stamped 96 on the compliance plate.  I have a 94 that is complied 96 and I have a 95 that is complied 95. Difference between 94 and 95 is the 94 had a grey stripe on the seat and softer fork springs.  Yours of course has a Guts racing seat cover.

96-2000 they went to the off sided frame in an endeavor to lower seat height. 96-2000 models handle very well with sharp turning and good sliding ability.  The later ones were designed more for woods type riding while the 95 and earlier were more desert orientated.

As for Dave Armstrong, he would be fast on anything.  Interesting to hear he rode an ATK.  I actually have a 96 electric start that was an ex Qld based race bike. I bought it off the second owner on the Sunshine coast.  Next time I bump into Dave I'll have to grill him about it.  That would be a cracker if I own his ex race bike.  God, what are the odds?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:37:12 am by crash n bern »