Author Topic: ATK605 How many of these are out there?  (Read 5843 times)

Offline brebel

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: ATK605 How many of these are out there?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 09:57:18 pm »
My god!, do you have three of them? got any pics? I was thinking of getting a hotter cam for the ATK for a little more power and top end, I am pretty sure my 84 KTM would smoke the ATK, is your race bike modded?. I very nearly bought a different 94 model ATK a while back but someone else bought it just a few hours before I got there, It was a real nice one that had a custom made alloy tank and race cam and was Justins personal bike who owns 'Trooper Lu's Garage' so I was onto this one like shite to a blanket. I also have a real tidy 96 CRF450x and 07 CR500AFX but as far as the four strokes go as good as the CRF is I prefer the old school grunt and lugging power and reliability of the Rotax.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 11:45:57 pm »
No I've got six of them.  The first one I bought brand new. I had to wait three months for it to come into the country.

The one with the alloy tank was originally owned by a cop, he contacted me when he first bought it looking for a cam. I think that was around 2001.   About 4-5 years ago It came up for sale.  I just wanted to buy the tank off him.  He tried to talk me into buying the whole bike, but I couldn't justify another bike and told him if he couldn't sell it I would only offer stupid money for it. The tank cost him around $700 to get made.

I have no idea if the race bike is modded.  It was returned to standard dual sport trim when I got it.  I'm assuming they just raced it out of the box.

Yours looks like it has a Foran muffler on it.  I bought one from Coffs Harbour years ago that had a Foran muffler on it.  I think Wisemans was the ATK dealer there.  They go pretty good with the Forans. The stock muffler robbed them and made them docile.  Larger headers, and/or just having a large collector pipe where the two headers meet will open up the top end. The 96-2000 Have larger headers running into a large collector pipe and they have more top end.  I did the collector mod to my 95 and it made a difference.

I'd be pretty interested to hear how your suspension works as the seller mentioned he had it all re valved.  I was thinking of upgrading mine with some modern suspension.

Those Rotax motors have so much grunt, I used to idle up the bottom of a hill in first till I could pick a good line, then open her up and change into second halfway up. No run ups needed.  I remember once coming up to a massive bog hole with 2 strokes bogged everywhere and I just chugged my way through all the carnage.

Another thing to do, where the sub frame ends under the guard, shove a length of alloy bar down down each one and let the ends hang out far enough to support the rear guard.  That stops the rear guard and taillight from shaking to death. 
Where the sub frame bolts to the frame is a weak spot and they can break if ridden hard.

Now, you would think that at one point I would of lined mine all up and taken pictures, but no.  I don't have any.

Go here http://www.atkmotorsports.com/atkbb/ and join the ATK forum.  [/img]

cheapracer

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:49 pm »
I'm a sucker for these rotax engines

I rode a brand new Sonic about 30 years ago - problem was I rode the same guy's brand new KTM 495 at the same time, guess which I one remember and which I one forgot instantly!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 09:48:29 am »
I rode a blokes KTM 495 and then went and bought a Sonic.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:17:40 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 12:06:10 pm »
Jonesy'll be picking this ATK605 D/T up sometime this week. It's got all the bells and whistles.

This '84 ATK 500 is currently up for grabs on Aussie eBay.........
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250990179783?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:10:52 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »
is there a atk info /models and years website