Author Topic: Pre 75 - Yesterday's Hero?  (Read 12275 times)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 75 - Yesterday's Hero?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2011, 09:58:08 am »
I don't go to national meetings coz I feel it's wrong that I have to reduce the travel of my 74 Maico & 77 Husqvarna (or Montesa) to be legal by the current Australian rules even though the bikes are standard as in the year of production. If they had an suspension advantage in '74 & '77 so it should be today. Why should we be penalised just to comply with our "suspect" rules. To pay a premium for 3 races, then have issues with compliance of a standard bike is just way to hard. Where's the fun in that?
K

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2011, 10:10:50 am »

I can only discuss from the Queensland perspective, the number one complaint is that the tracks are too rough. Qvmx runs natural terrain BUT still they are too rough! Coles Creek...too rough, Biddaddaba....too rough. The guys are getting too old and frail and just cant handle the bumps any more. The reality is, if you have a pre75 bike, go to Nudgee, and if you have a later model bike from pre 78 on, go to QVMX events. On a side note, I think that pre78 has been the big disappointment and has never hit it's straps. What a shame.
Also, a big shame is people not taking any interest in eras that they never grew up in.
I think it's an age thing. I'm 49 when I was 14 it was 1976. Between 14 and 17 are your most formative years. I have no interest in B40's nor Matchless's, AJS etc. But a '76 Bully really floats my boat. In short and IMO not much you can do about it I'm afraid.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2011, 10:34:11 am »
good thing about QLD is that we have 2 clubs that get along - alot of people are members of both clubs.i like pre 75 but 130kg on 4`` hurts a little so something with a bit more suspension works for me,and nudgee isnt too rough,thanks to having a tractor and good people looking after the track.so you can take your choice of what you want ride cruzy old style mx track or natrual terrain,pretty well can get a ride every 2 weeks during the season.the QLD titles have been had the week before to encourage interstate riders we got a few last year and an international

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 11:29:25 am »
I reckon the rules should be straight age related rather than re-writing history for whatever reason.

My sentiments as well. Who wants to be part of something that is a lie?

“In the day” manufacturers blueprints were raised to suit new parameters of a desired increase in maximum suspension travel limits. The primary foundation stone of the manufactures intended result.

Why should a ridder have his manufacturers intention for their working geometry(dynamic modelling) destroyed? Doesn’t make for much incentive. Destroyed all because some other manufacturer was living in the past, dragging the chain or not as “forward” thinking.
The chronological cut of point should be the true representation of the competition in the day. The true showcase, ie; the true competition of the day, which was a war of design waged by manufactures. The true showcase of competition of the era was actually started and waged on the drawing board.

Some quite often use the term “level playing field” to argue a perversion of the rules, to suit themselves.

Whereas the history of the era is the truth of the era. It is already “accurately” contained by the chronological cut-off.

The current rules make a mockery out of the era and use us as a part of a deceitful portrayal of something other than what, truly “was in the day”. I for one would rather be a part of history, not a pack of lies.

And before impaled by poisoned arrows.
I would consider “FAIRNESS” should be easy to achieve. The truth will always be easier to achieve, scrutineer and police, than a “pack of lies”.
The truth is and are the designs that were available off the shop floor UP TO the 31st December 1974.  NOT SECRET SQUIRREL WORKS MACHINES, WHICH WERE NOT AVAILABLE TO US AT ALL.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2011, 11:49:46 am »
We are the “masses” and I therefore imply the history of mass production. Ease of access for all, is what I call a level playing field. 

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2011, 12:06:43 pm »
Back in the 70`s was the Australia titles meeting run over several rounds or one day events does anybody know.

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 12:32:57 pm »
Back in the 70`s was the Australia titles meeting run over several rounds or one day events does anybody know.

Gday 33M, here is a program from the 75 Titles which was run over 2 days.
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=11593.0

Regards Stan.

cheapracer

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 12:46:25 pm »
i think pre 75 is dying off if riders are not turning up to meetings that are catered for them
so dont blame the later classes that are running in the events if we didnt have them ther would be no vmx

Did you ever consider 'tacking on' was different to "catering for"?

cheapracer

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 01:06:11 pm »
I would consider “FAIRNESS” should be easy to achieve. The truth will always be easier to achieve, scrutineer and police, than a “pack of lies”.

Because half the field would be 74.5 Maico GP's. The suspension rule has at least allowed a competitive variety within the grid.

I'm sure there was some thinking towards people not wanting to cut up standard bikes to increase travel to be competitive but I will always maintain the 5" is a better choice, more realistic to what people were actually using and available to all without frame mods.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2011, 02:28:00 pm »
Thanks Stan.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2011, 02:40:55 pm »
"Pre-75" wasn't ever supposed to be specifically about recreating the year 1974. It is supposed to represent the short travel era - so the travel restrictions make sense on that level.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2011, 05:48:31 pm »
Pre 75 was about re inventing the spirit of the past 60`s, 70`s, era and history of scrambles and later motocross, if their was bikes with any modifaction the bikes and owner were put in a class which was called the modified class later became pre 80 class. what l would like to know if their has been any decision made with this split. and cut off dates.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:51:12 pm by 33M »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2011, 06:40:22 pm »

Because half the field would be 74.5 Maico GP's.

That is not even a relevant answer or response to my quote you have posted. Unsubstantiated opinion at best, why would you attempt to pass opinion as a fact?

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2011, 06:49:52 pm »
Don't the americans & poms get around the longer travel bikes needing to limit their shocks by running pre74 instead?

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2011, 06:51:20 pm »
"Pre-75" wasn't ever supposed to be specifically about recreating the year 1974. It is supposed to represent the short travel era - so the travel restrictions make sense on that level.

That's just getting down to semantics. Perhaps you would be better off spending your energy to lobby a change to the cut off date? Maybe to pre74, as in the UK.

Because half the field would be 74.5 Maico GP's.
[/quote]

Or than again maybe pre74.5? cut-off.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:57:09 pm by MICK-DE »