Author Topic: Everts Puch  (Read 3624 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Everts Puch
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 11:49:00 am »

[/quot

I have a question regarding the twin carb Puch that was on Ebay . As Harry Everts won the 250 World MX title in 1975 on the Puch, wouldn't the Everts Replica be a '76 model ? (not a '75 model as in the Ebay description). Also I read in an Everts photo gallery webpage that there was 97 twin carb Puchs made .

Well the bike on which Harry won that championship was a low piper.

[/quote]

No ,end of 74 and early 75 it was a low piper but changed to an up pipe during the year , along with some other things. The replica is the final version.

TooFastTim

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 11:50:59 am »

[/quot

I have a question regarding the twin carb Puch that was on Ebay . As Harry Everts won the 250 World MX title in 1975 on the Puch, wouldn't the Everts Replica be a '76 model ? (not a '75 model as in the Ebay description). Also I read in an Everts photo gallery webpage that there was 97 twin carb Puchs made .

Well the bike on which Harry won that championship was a low piper.

No ,end of 74 and early 75 it was a low piper but changed to an up pipe during the year , along with some other things. The replica is the final version.
[/quote]

You learn something every day.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 11:54:22 am »
Harry had polio as a child and cannot run. I'm not joking here I've seen him try. He quite literally stumbles. Because of the polio he finds the transition from sitting to standing very difficult so he stands all the time. And we all know riders that stand are smoooooth...

Thanks ToofastTim- I noted he had a different riding style and favoured his right leg,(perhaps the stronger/ridged).
Shows you can do anything you want in life !! Even ride a Puch fast  :P   ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 01:48:36 pm »
Harry had polio as a child and cannot run. I'm not joking here I've seen him try. He quite literally stumbles. Because of the polio he finds the transition from sitting to standing very difficult so he stands all the time. And we all know riders that stand are smoooooth...

Thanks ToofastTim- I noted he had a different riding style and favoured his right leg,(perhaps the stronger/ridged).
Shows you can do anything you want in life !! Even ride a Puch fast  :P   ;D
cheers A

I think its become more of a problem with age than when he was racing. One leg is shorter but they built up the peg to even it up.He rode Stefans bike at Namur in 06 .At first I thought it was Stefan but I wondered why the fans were going nuts over a practice lap. Then I realized as he got closer that it was Harry.They love him still!He even walks with difficulty thesedays ,usually with a stick but it doesnt stop him getting around .I crossed paths with him at Lierop walking the most difficult part of the track.I was thinking whats his old guy doing out here with a walking stick, then I saw that it was Harry checking out the lines,alone. Unreal

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 02:00:54 pm »
Notsure about the 97 .Got a link?
http://connect.in.com/harry-everts/photo-gallery.html
I may have mis-read this, but if you look at the caption that is 7 lines up from the bottom of the page on the left, it mentions something about only 97 made .

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 02:11:15 pm »
Nice,have liked all the puch mx bikes
tank sloping down would bug me
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

firko

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 02:41:06 pm »
He even walks with difficulty thesedays ,
When I saw him at Sandhill Ranch in '88 he didn't have a stick but I do recall a distinct limp. Not being aware of his history with polio, I assumed that the years of hard racing had caught up with him as many old racers or footballers carry similar limps. When he got aboard the Puch wobbly walk was replaced by a riding style that gave no hint of his affliction. He'd be up there with Marty Tripes as one of the smoothest, most fluid racers I've seen. It's probably no coincidence that both riders rode standing more than their opposition.

TooFastTim

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 02:48:58 pm »
I was fortunate to have seen Harry at his peak albeit not on Puch but on Bultaco (he spent one miserable season with them on a bike that was well past its best). He was late for gate for one race and had to rush to the start line. It wasn't pretty.