Author Topic: Decibels  (Read 61497 times)

Decibels
« on: February 07, 2008, 02:07:08 pm »
Can't find the thread on the new 96db issue, so don't know if this has been previously passed on or not.  But got it direct from a member of the MNSW MX subcommittee last night that the actual noise regs say that the limit is 96db 'or as specified in any existing legislated noise requirement' (quote from him, not the book itself).  He went on to say that meant that for NSW, 102db was therefore the limit.  And ACT, there was a noise limit taken from a different distance from machines which equated to 102db.

So for those (in NSW/ACT at least) still a bit worried about being tested, coming in at 100db and being told to fix it or not ride, it won't happen.  Or if it does, tell them to read the book again.

Rosco400

Re: Decibels
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:56:17 pm »
Got the Moms book other day and definately states 96DB for all MX but not road

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 09:25:18 pm »
I respect "the get up and go" of anyone that gets on to a  Volunteer Ruling Sub Committee in any branch of motorcycle sport. But..... Twisty "the onus will be on you the competitor" to prove his unfortunate statement is correct . Please read the cost of your protest track side, start to include lawyers , Courts and other paid informants, riff /raff later on and then realize that his hearsay statement is not going to hold one drop of water. If anything it means that Federal , State or Local laws or bylaws that are LOWER than 96 will be taken to apply to the area you riding at. If the Manual of Motorcycle Sport states 96 at your type of meeting  96 IT IS ! no Higher regardless. Tim754
Send your protest and your reasons for it NOW to MA Please.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:12:10 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:37:35 pm »
we covred this topic real hard, a number of times just do a search, this waqs i think the last one

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=1541.0

i think you had better hope when they send an MA rep to Tassie you have a flexi pass on the boat, or at least they still agree to hand out warnings, im not going to risk it till its fixed, thats a lot of coin to sit and watch.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:47:50 pm »
I dunno, I'd agree with Twisty on this. The GCR re noise is 12.10.1.1 which clearly states the limit is 96 unless a different limit is shown in the table provided. However, 12.10.1.2 then states that "where government regulations or planning orders exist in relation to noise testing...the noise emission required will prevail over GCR 12.10.1.1".

Now I suspect the intent is to support cases where government regs require a lower limit, however by my reading ANY noise limit required by a government reg that applies to the venue will apply over and above the GCRs, even if it is a more relaxed limit.

As to what that actually means in ACT/NSW I don't know as I am not familiar with the requirements of the legislation. But worth chasing up I reckon.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 09:14:00 am »
don't you love it when rules ain't rules?  when they have caveats and shit.  just puts everything back up in the air and up to the poor local enforcer or rider to battle it out.

I personally don't mind if 96 ends up winning - when i sold my RD it had a spanking new DG muffler on that was loud as.  the muffler that came with the RG is the opposite - just gives off a lovely low burble.  reckon there'd be 3 or 4 decibels difference.

main thing is, still able to hear what me engine's up to when the five second board goes out.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 12:26:48 pm »
96 is a killer... now stop being silly.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Board

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 07:38:36 am »
Get real everybody.
What the rules mean, and how they will be applied is that currently the upper limit is 96dba measured at 500mm from the running machine.

If local government regulations insist on a lower again limit, then that will apply to that specific race meeting.

How many of you complained to MA about this limit? Not many I hear.

211kawasaki

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 11:11:54 am »
Be assured that the MA VMX / CDT Commission on behalf of the riders has been lobbying MA for a relaxation of the 96bda requirement for the Tas Nationals and beyond, stay tuned.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 07:29:59 pm »
Board, you asked everyone to get real. But that is exactly what everyone IS doing. You may misunderstand what is being said here. The simple fact is that a 96 db limit makes it very difficult for people to enjoy their vintage MX. VMX is NOT a huge sport - there are no huge meetings with thousands of riders all at full noise. Rather, we have a sprinkling of riders who have a very diverse range of riding skills. This rule makes it very hard for people - constituents of motorcycle sport in Australia - to restore and race their old motorcycles.

Getting back to the point about the interpretation of the GCR, I ask you explain your position. The GCR in question, GCR 12.10.1.1, is very clear about a 96db UPPER limit. But GCR 12.10.1.2 is also very clear that GCR 12.10.1.1 is voided if a council or government regulation specifies another limit, and it does not make any specification about that limit being higher or lower. That is entirely open.

Board

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 09:53:56 am »
Graeme,
I have not misunderstood one thing but I think you are missing the point.
I have spoken to MA and have been told that the rule will be interpreted as I stated it. No higher limit that 96dba.
I also asked them how many complaints they had received re Classic MX and was told very few. I don't want 96dba in CMX as my bikes will be hard to make comply.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 12:10:17 pm by Board »

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 09:05:22 pm »
Well... my point was simply that I don't think MA could actually defend that interpretation if someone wanted to make a case of it, given the crap wording. However I agree that's just a moot point, how they interpret it is what we have to live with. So the question is, are our representatives doing enough behind the scenes, or do we have to get serious about making a noise (pun intended)? I saw earlier in the thread that we might be in luck from mid year on?

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 08:19:06 am »
You are having this discussion 12 months too late.
We are now stuck with these rules for this year at least.
I was doing historic road racing and not dirt last year and made people aware of these limits coming in.
We were able to derail this as well as the proposed Period 5 Methanol rule by fighting them last year.
But this was for Historic Road Race. Classic Dirt racing is stuck with the 96db.

We need to keep an eye on what is happening or going to happen in our sport so that we don't get caught out like this again.

In the mean time we need some discussion on what we need to do to get our bikes under the limit.
For example:
Long aluminium silencers are better than steel or carbon fibre.
The stinger can be extended back into the body of the 2stroke expansion chamber.
Supertrap silencer rings can be added to the end of the alloy silencer to take the bite out of the sound.
Rubber plugs between the cylinder and head fins can take out the ringing.
Countershaft sprockets with the rubber lips to cushion the chain can reduce chain noise.
Thick rubber blocks inside the countershaft sprocket cover.

Can we wrap the exhaust pipe in something?
Should we be getting GMC to make us thicker walled pipes?

What other suggestions do you guys have? 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:22:50 am by mboddy »
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 10:05:37 am »
Hi all,
We need to lobby MA NOW as there is a board meeting on the 26th and this issue is due to be brought up.
MA have only got about 6 to 8 proper responces to do with the noise level.
Please send an email or write a letter this weekend, once the final decision is made it will be final.
please forward all emails to  [email protected]
I have attached the letter I sent to MA some time ago hopefully this will give you some ideas.

Cheers
Fatboy
Shane Fraser

MOTORCYCLING TASMANIA INC
THE CONTROLLING BODY OF MOTORCYCLE SPORT IN TASMANIA(AFFILIATED WITH MOTORCYCLING AUSTRALIA LTD)
P.O. BOX  270                                                  EMAIL                                       
PHONE:  03 64261988 LATROBE   TAS. 7307                     
[email protected]      FAX:        03 64261988

8th January 2008

Motorcycling Australia & Classic Motocross Commission
147 Montague Street
South Melbourne  Vic  3205

We are writing this letter to voice concern and disappointment in relation to the decision by the Commission to alter the noise regulations for Classic MotoX from 102db to 96 db.

This will significantly reduce the number of historic motorcycles eligible to race at club days in Tasmania and in the 2008 Australian Classic MotoX Championships.

These motorcycles built between 1960 and 1985 were not designed to run at 96db from new and will not do so even with sever modifications
Tas Scramble Club, which is the host club for the 2008 Championships, have been approached by many potential participants concerned about the new noise regulations and being able to comply with the 2008 GCRs for noise.

We appeal to you to consider a proposal to bring the noise regulations for Classic Motox Racing in line with those of Historic Road Racing which is 102db.

We believe this would allow more competitors to enter races in this class and at the same time comply with the noise regulations, which ultimately brings more people to the sport of Classic Motocross.

We would appreciate an early response from the Commission so we are able to advise potential competitors with certainty about the regulations for this 2008 Australian Championship event.

Yours sincerely

Shane Fraser                                                  Peter Kitto
Vice President                                                  President
Motorcycling Tasmania Inc.                              Motorcycling Tasmania Inc.      

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 10:35:25 am »
Jeez fellas, Fatboy says MA have received only six or eight responses to the noise limit debate! ???
That is tragic - and hardly a groundswell of dissent.
How many members are on this Forum......?

Given the volume of written traffic on this Forum can we pls all make an effort to send a letter to MA?
Fatboy has provided the link (and it's no different to posting on this Forum).

[email protected]

We have eleven days left before the Board meets on 26 March.
Pls send a few lines ASAP.

"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"