Author Topic: Decibels  (Read 61496 times)

firko

Re: Decibels
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 11:01:11 am »
I find it disgraceful that MA only got 8 responses to the 96dba. How many of you reading this now didn't bother sending a protest because 'someone else will sort it out'? There are a large number of forum members and possibly hundreds more lurkers and out of that huge number of interested parties we can only raise 6 or 8 protest emails. Pathetic!
If it wan't so serious I'd be pissing myself laughing. Forum members will waffle on for page after page on Suzuki footpegs, Posty bikes or something equally as trivial but when something comes along that seriously threatens our sport you all treat it with overwhelming apathy. The cyber racer lives on.

All Things 414

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 11:07:13 am »
I sent one then and I've sent one now.

Tony T

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 12:14:13 pm »
I must honestly say that I have not read any of the decibel threads before now.  :-\
However, now knowing the full situation, I have sent my submission this morning and appeal to all of you to do the same.

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 04:22:53 pm »
Sorry Lads, I was one of those not doing anything about it , just lazy, but have just submitted my protest Cheers

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 04:34:14 pm »
Thanks Grahame for the shake up. Took me ten minutes, that was easy.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 04:40:49 pm »
I can not even get on the tracks now !!! So why was I sending my first protest before these threads started ?? Because like Firko and Wombat and a small no "Tiny" amount of us care!!! So do you mind to get up of your lazy arses ,stretch out your nose picking, butt scratching, cock/pussy wanking fingers and type Now!! Address supplied elsewhere look for it and stop finding piss ant excuses.. Then add your Name or nom de plume here freely because well you have honestly tried. Tim754  You will receive an email back from MA that acknowledges your contribution.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Tony T

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 12:54:14 am »
Interesting and pleasing to get a reply, too.
I've also just come back from the 'Monster Trucks' with my boy. I can guarantee that they weren't less than 150 db, probably way more and in the middle of the city at 10.00pm. That jet powered van was radically loud too.
Didn't hear anyone complaining about that noise though......................  ;D

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 10:14:43 am »
Tony, I reckon your comment on the Monster Truck noise is absolutely relevant to the whole debate.
More than anything, the hypocracy of this proposed limit is what gets up my nose!
Here's a copy of my reply to another Forum Member who sent me a PM about this issue:

Unfortunately it seems rules and Laws get more strict over time - and not always for the better.
Something like this 96db, once in place, is hardly likely to go back up.
All motorsport is noisy but it's an occasional thing; not like living alongside an Airport!

And if the Powers that be are truly serious, why are F1, Indy Cars, Moto GP and the like allowed to scream on at max noise?
It seems highly unfair and unjust to single out the 'amature sportsmen' of our relatively small branch of motorsport.

And that gets me to wondering - just 'who' exactly is pushing for this noise limit?
Our machines are from a by-gone era and every effort is made to ensure they remain true to that era and in as original form as possible.
So just who is making life so very difficult for our small and enthusiastic branch of motorsport?

Is it the Government?
If so I repeat my claim of hypocracy; how's about concentrating on lowering the serious 24hr noise like aeroplanes and industry and leave the occasional sports people alone.
It is the State and Federal Goverments who allow 'big noise sports' like the cars and bikes as mentioned above.
So why are these events inoculated to noise limits? 
They are modern machines and should be made to comply with our new age concerns.
But they continue to evolve with little if any noise control...

But these forms bring in mega bucks; is that it?
VMX is small and non profit?
Who easier to stamp on - and then boast of reducing noise pollution in the on going war for the environment. 

Or is it MA themselves? again, there are far noisier (and with a larger participant number) groups within motorcycling unaffected by this limit.
All respect to MA; I'm sure it's manned by people who love motorcycling in all forms - and it can't be easy juggling the many groups and disciplines and various self serving interests.
Don't be so damn shallow as to allow the Historic/Classic Road Racers a higher noise limit than the VMXers.
For goodness sake, all these machines came from the same factories in the same era!

But seriously fellas, MAN UP! ...as my good friend Michelle would say.
And if it's not MA pushing for the limit - pls shove back even harder on our behalf!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 01:46:03 pm »
story from another forum ===  >

How to beat 99 decibels and Win!!!

Click link for story: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=31777

Electric Motorcycle Wins at Dragrace!

only problem on the track might be getting al the cords untwisted

74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Board

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 04:07:07 pm »
Lets keep this subject to the fore.

This is extremely important to the continueing life of Classic MX as we know it.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 05:08:47 pm »
it was a big un last year before the turk trashed the server, i rember posting about it back then, so its been an ongoing saga, but it is at least gaining momentum again.............
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

211kawasaki

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 10:22:38 pm »
Hi Guys
I have sent my second letter to MA on the subject only this time direct to the Board of Directors. I have strongly voiced my concerns as to the uncertainty of the Tas event and have asked MA to afford Tas Scramble club a relaxation of the 96db rule as it stands and allow 102db for this event.

As you may or may not know MA will have a noise meter available to CD5 for those interested in getting a picture of how loud you bike, no penalty just for info only. I am going to the CMX Nationals and will be taking my sound meter (pending the OK from the club) and my plan is to conduct a bit of an independent study of the real picture with the view of arguing to MA that there should be a permanate consideration to 102db for VMX. The testing will not be part of any official program but is relevant in determining the future and will make the first data base on the subject.

The hope is that we (the riders) will be successful in arguing the 102db issue away but there is a need to at least attempt to address this issue with your bike, the old straight thru on the AJS is making way for a muffler in the Tanner house and I still think that even at 102db some bikes will struggle to get close. All I'm suggesting is that eventually we are going to have to deal with it - 102 is achievable and 96 not and there is a responsibility with all of us to make a difference if we are to make our case.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 12:39:28 pm »
For what its worth the AMA has pushed back to 99 DBA - there is no reason why MA should be enforcing the 96DBA even on the moderns.  Reality is folks who dont want bikes dont want bikes no matter what the DB is, any how this is where they are goiing for 08 /09 also of note MA should be adopting the 3 stage system for non comlience to ensure rider numbers for the promoters is not effected on race day.

SUBJECT: AMA Sports Dirt Track Sound Enforcement

Sound continues to be a concern for AMA Racing. There is a concerted effort to reduce and
enforce sound limits in AMA Pro Racing disciplines. The Supercross and Motocross disciplines are
enforced to 99 dB/A. The Supermoto sound limits will be enforced to 101 dB/A for the 2008
season. There will be testing this year for AMA Pro Flat Track.

The 2008 AMA Sports Rulebook states that sound testing is optional and a promoter responsibility,
it also states that the promoter may impose penalties for non compliance. It is understood that
compliance with this rule is not a simple process for the dirt track community as in many cases
stock frames are not used and exhaust systems require fabrication. The AMA will be enforcing
sound limits at the AMA Dirt Track Grand Championships and will be strongly encouraging
promoters to use the same format.

The 2008 AMA Dirt Track Grand Championships will use the following criteria for enforcement:

99 dB/A - requirement per the 2008 rulebook
up to 100.5 dB/A - verbal warning (based on the variance per the J1287 test procedure)

up to 103 dB/A - written warning

over 103 dB/A - required to modify and retest

I have been pushing this since last year and just noted from you post Timbo you say MA will acknowledge your emails ? i have never recieved a response from any MA rep including that R martin listed above i (and i have sent him at least 3 emails and cut and pastes)

How do we find out what the situation is currently as in where on the table is it now ?  when does it hit the agenda and do they have enough informed info to make a descion ? 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:48:30 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 02:38:14 pm »
All seven I have sent have been acknowledged :) Don't know the world hates ya Freaky......... ??? Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 03:00:04 pm »
yep thats what i was begining to think, maybe you have the gift.

you got 'the shinning.'

HEy do we know if they have plenty of ammo for the meeting tomorrow on this subject and is it high on the agenda ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's