Author Topic: How much would you pay?  (Read 6975 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: How much would you pay?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 04:33:23 pm »
TMB - if you were referring to what I was saying - be realistic though.  If you say money is no object then you can spend what ever you want - it's just an arse pluck number.  However even if you had "sufficient" money how much would you spend.  I agree - if you can afford it then do it - but don't play with monopoly money - what would you like to pay for x bike???  Sorry - maybe not clear??
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 04:40:50 pm »
Thorpes cr 500 was sold to a guy for 25 000 pounds

well couldn't afford the whole bike ( though I should of I think in hind sight, so i just got a little taste)... paint was rubbed off by the knees of someone famous ;D

formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 04:41:39 pm »
TMB - if you were referring to what I was saying - be realistic though.  If you say money is no object then you can spend what ever you want - it's just an arse pluck number.  However even if you had "sufficient" money how much would you spend.  I agree - if you can afford it then do it - but don't play with monopoly money - what would you like to pay for x bike???  Sorry - maybe not clear??

No Rossco it wasn't directed at your post thats just where it fell in the scheme of things  :) was a general observation , ole mates original posting did say unlimited funds and bottomless pockets .In the real world  if i want somthing bad enough i will spend what i have and what i can borrow to get it . Cant put a figure on that as circumstances change all the time and im only a broken arse Towie  ;D . I passed up an RH 250 some years ago for 20K then proceeded over the next 6 months to spend 20K + on a number of other bikes that are really neither here nor there to me  ::) I give myself an uppercut every morning for letting that RH go  :(
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:46:11 pm by TM BILL »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 04:52:58 pm »
I passed up an RH 250 some years ago for 20K then proceeded over the next 6 months to spend 20K + on a number of other bikes that are really neither here nor ther to me  ::) I give myself an uppercut every morning for letting that RH go  :(

Yeah i could have bought pretty much a whole RN500 when I bought the tank, so you are not alone Bill, instead I blew that cash on a Rickman, Cheney, collectable Ducati F1, hmmmm maybe my decision wasn't so bad.

Back to pricing works bikes, Marc's Blue Book of VMX values says somewhere about 20K AUD is the top of the private market at the moment, unless you have Thorpes CR, Cyclone Board Tracker and someone rich or who owns a Museum has to have it. VMX is not quite like the road racer collectors who tend to have a somewhat massive massive budget or own a legal practice.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 04:59:18 pm »
this pair would buy you Thorpes bike 5 times over ::)

formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 05:02:34 pm »
Nice but i would have a hell of a time wrestling those round Roberts farm  ;D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 06:14:01 pm »
You just need to toughen up Bill.....they did it back in the day. :-*
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 06:32:52 pm »
  I reckon' they'd look grouse ,with big set of Knarly Knobbies fully crossed up in unison over "the dropoff" ;) ::)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 06:34:23 pm »
there is no way i would part with a manx or 7r or g50 for any dirt bike at all.nice pics marcfx
jim

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 07:12:12 pm »
Nice but i would have a hell of a time wrestling those round Roberts farm  ;D

I don't know Bill once we get the knobbies on i think you should have a go

formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 07:16:40 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Trent Farlow

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 08:42:55 am »
Very interesting thread - with most works bikes you would not be buying them as you would a normal bike to ride around the paddock, you would be buying them to appreciate the hand built one off engineering features that they have, and the race history and heritage that comes with them.  Did anyone have a good look at that 1981 Kawasaki SR250 on display at Classic Dirt last year - it was a work of art, from its one off weird shape fibreglass tank, sandcast engine and machined hubs, gold anodised billet everything,  and super trick shock - I could only find about four insignificant items from my 1981 KX250 that would have fitted on it. Therefor it is like art, why do people pay ridiculous money for art, or classic cars. Therefore works bikes have no price, they are literally priceless -  they are worth what anyone wants to pay. I agree that compared to road race works bikes - MX works bikes at 20k to 30k are cheap and will continue to go up over time.  Life is not a rehearsal - if you want it and have the once in a lifetime chance to buy it and enjoy it - and can afford it - grab it.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 10:18:35 am »
Hear what you are saying about SR250s here is SR from Japan VMX scene in all its sand cast one off titanium glory ... it comes in the worth whatever someone is prepared to pay category

formerly Marc.com

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 10:48:49 am »
    Hey marc got any pic's of the red devil in the background ?  :)