Author Topic: What's happened to all the real bikes???  (Read 24442 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: What's happened to all the real bikes???
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2011, 11:53:54 am »
I half built an XL350 Honda powered Montesa King Scorpion disguised to look like a VR Cappra a few years ago. I abandoned the project when I figured out that the Montesa frame weighed more than the original XL unit and sold it to Slakewell a few years ago......Have you still got it Mick?

No Firko I'm not even sure were that ended up. Would have made a good boat anchor that frame. It may have ended up with the stuff I sold to Harry or it's out at Daryle's place with the other 100 projects. Bill Holm is looking for a SL 125 project to ride in is old age he tells me so if you know of a good one let him know. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2011, 11:55:32 am »
All the talk about different engine / bike combo`s i can`t wait to see this creation get around the track, my big gut is telling me it will be a challenge to catch.

Looks really well engineered, you can just see the twin exhaust set up as well. Peter.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h337/kaw500/P3130669.jpg
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2011, 11:59:50 am »
On the subject of specials i like the look of that XL250 elsinore lookalike in the latest VMX.

Yeah I really liked that bike as well .... but the bike that should have been on the cover was the Penda not some scruffy Can am that needs side covers to finish it off. But funny noticed a Can am Sonic sans motor the other day for cheap.... TT motor looks like straight swap.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2011, 12:39:00 pm »
On the subject of specials i like the look of that XL250 elsinore lookalike in the latest VMX.

Yeah I really liked that bike as well .... but the bike that should have been on the cover was the Penda not some scruffy Can am that needs side covers to finish it off. But funny noticed a Can am Sonic sans motor the other day for cheap.... TT motor looks like straight swap.

Grrrrrrrr  >:(.......and your dog too.

WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2011, 01:09:53 pm »
But funny noticed a Can am Sonic sans motor the other day for cheap.... TT motor looks like straight swap.

You could buy about eight TT/XT/SR motors for the price of one good Rotax.  XT 550/TT600 motor would go too.

DR

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2011, 02:04:27 pm »
In regards to the Sonic. In my eyes 'some' restorers are nothing more than glorified assemblers of nos parts. This hardly represents any sort of real challenge and I for one was glad to see a real bike on the cover ;)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2011, 02:19:15 pm »

I couldn't agree with your more Marc, that Penda is a way cooler bike.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2011, 09:25:59 pm »
I for one was glad to see a real bike on the cover ;)

Yep !! It sure was good to have a nice change  8)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2011, 09:28:49 pm »
Don't know how much cooler a bike can be if it generates a cold snap around it ::)
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2011, 09:43:20 pm »
What happened to all the real bikes-there still building them... ;)  ;D   seller greenstripe worth every US cent  :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Honda-CR-250-Elsinore-/130503021164?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item1e6296126c

quote:Professionally restored Honda 1974 CR-250. This is our 51st rebuild/restore of the 73/74 CR-250 Elsinore in the last 12 years, the only bike we do.
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2011, 10:29:16 pm »
This is our 51st rebuild/restore of the 73/74 CR-250 Elsinore in the last 12 years, the only bike we do.
I got bored after doing three Maicos in a row. I'd be bouncing off walls after restoring 51 identical bikes!.

TM BILL

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2011, 07:14:46 am »
Most of these high and mighty long travel HL replicas have no historic precedent but there are a few out there with 38mm forks etc. that fit into my interpretation of replica.

No historic precedent apart from the mountain of photos, the odd GP win and US 4 Stroke Nationals win. RJs bike was OW forked and taller than a block of flats.

Did Aberg win the overall at the 77 Luxembourg GP ? i know he won the first race , was he runing the 3 valve head ?
The bike Aberg won on does not resemble those long travel nightmares we see these days  ;)

Yes RJs bike won the Seppo diesel nationals against all the other diesels WOW  :o if it was that forking good its a wonder he didn't race it in the proper nationals  ;)

It was a novelty bike thats all  :)

Offline Husky70

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2011, 07:26:20 am »
I am with Bill on this one, FWIW. Another post (MarcFX I think) tells us that Yamaha have been producing the 500 engine for 35 years. So one can build a so-called "HL Replica" (which it demonstrably is not) with a 2011 frame and a 20-something engine; this has precisely what to do with VINTAGE MX?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2011, 07:35:49 am »
So one can build a so-called "HL Replica" (which it demonstrably is not) with a 2011 frame and a 20-something engine; this has precisely what to do with VINTAGE MX?

You can also build CCM, Cheney, Rickman, CZ, C&J, Maico 490, B44 GP etc  with 2011 frame and  20 year old engine. My point was the HL is very parctical as a mount as the engine is still in production and you can buy spares straight over the counter.

Back to the subject, I think there are a lot of real bikes out there for grabs at the moment, out of the US you can really get some great bikes for cheap, I have TM400, YZ250A, Husky 73 CR 250 on the water at the moment..... all cheap as chips
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2011, 07:47:06 am »
So one can build a so-called "HL Replica" (which it demonstrably is not) with a 2011 frame and a 20-something engine; this has precisely what to do with VINTAGE MX?

You can also build CCM, Cheney, Rickman, CZ, C&J, Maico 490, B44 GP etc  with 2011 frame and  20 year old engine. My point was the HL is very parctical as a mount as the engine is still in production and you can buy spares straight over the counter.

Back to the subject, I think there are a lot of real bikes out there for grabs at the moment, out of the US you can really get some great bikes for cheap, I have TM400, YZ250A, Husky 73 CR 250 on the water at the moment..... all cheap as chips

They might be parctical , but i think the last time one won a race was when RJ won on his  ;) Nice wobblers bike i suppose  ;D

But your right though Marc , there are some bargains out there , Mate collected a super original YZ 250A right here in good old NZ just yesterday  ;D