Author Topic: Rickman Yammy 500  (Read 9189 times)

mx250

firko

Re: Rickman Yammy 500
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:52:54 pm »
That's no Rickman, it's a Hindall. Have a look at Bob Neilsons TT500 in VMX 44.

mx250

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:04:59 pm »
That's no Rickman, it's a Hindall. Have a look at Bob Neilsons TT500 in VMX 44.
Not my claim;

"Here is a Rickman framed tt500. new rings,valve seals fork seals.it runs really well it has a brand new pair of dunlops on it.the forks are marzocchi's shocks are kurnut's and it has sun rims.the only thing that is not original is the carbon fiber side panels $6.800

John Teagle
WEST PALM, FL"

Straight from the horse's mouth  ;) ;D.

But I was surprised at the Rickman claim - it doesn't look like any Rickman I've seen - but I'm no expert  :-[.

I thought the XT/TT philes would get excited regardless  8).

firko

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:11:08 pm »
Not my claim;
Yeah I knew that Graeme. ::). I sent the bloke an email pointing out that he may like to change his ad title....no reply yet.

mx250

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:25:55 pm »
Not my claim;
Yeah I knew that Graeme. ::). I sent the bloke an email pointing out that he may like to change his ad title....no reply yet.

I like the appearance of the Hindle and TT500 tank  8).

Interesting rear swingarm bracing  8).

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:45:15 am »
Sorry Firko not sure it was Hindalls finest hour. Gotta love the exhaust system .... looks like a horror show in a market where that price would but something really cool. HL500 is still the ultimate expression of 4 stroke Yam singles, or Ribi front end Cheney.  ::)
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:42:57 am »
As much a Hindall fan as I am, I have to agree that Harry might have been a bit behind the trends by the time he produced the Hindall TT500 frame. The weirdly gusseted swingarm looks a bit gay but that's also where the beauty of the Hindall comes to the fore, his left field, one off way of approaching a problem....something Harry was good at. The other good things would be the precision craftmanship and extreme light weight.

Still...it's a Hindall and rare.....I wonder how long the owner has thought it to be a Rickman? As Graeme said, it's unlike any Rickman I've seen and Rickmans were out of the frame business by then anyway.
Here is a Rickman framed tt500. new rings,valve seals fork seals.it runs really well it has a brand new pair of dunlops on it.the forks are marzocchi's shocks are kurnut's and it has sun rims.$6.800
the only thing that is not original is the carbon fiber side panels and tank, fenders, exhaust and forks. I think Bobs original bike will be a fair bit cheaper than this once his probate is sorted. It was offered to me for 5k just before he died.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:48:32 am by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 07:06:07 am »
I do kind of like the way the motor leans forward, swingarm looks like it came off mountain bike/

Bit out there like the KR frames for TT500. But has me thinking will TT500 fit 250 Rickman ??
formerly Marc.com

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:01 am »
But has me thinking will TT500 fit 250 Rickman ??

I doubt it Marc, but you never know.

Love the look of that bike.

No surprises that the swingarm gussetting never caught on tho. Gussets are not where the max bending moment on the swingarm is.

firko

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:57:04 am »
 There's no way the TT engine will go any way near fitting the Rickman Montesa frame. I bought one with the hope of fitting an XL Honda engine but it didn't come close....not without a lot of hammer and oxy work anyway. 

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 02:09:06 pm »
I bought one with the hope of fitting an XL Honda engine but it didn't come close....not without a lot of hammer and oxy work anyway. 

i have something better than that, a sub frame kit to convert almost any bike to Rickman tank and body work, it is supposed to be for BSA but there may be a cooler way of using it.  ::)
formerly Marc.com

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 05:38:16 pm »
The seller John Teagle is a great guy to deal with I got my 1st C & J from him, he is even open to offers, not one much for emails the most you get out him is about three words, he takes paypal as well, when he found the engine to fit my bike he didn't charge me a bean (as purchase it as a roller only) all I had to pay was the shipping & what I got was the best part of a Bill Bell Long Beach Honda engine in mint condition.
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

firko

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 06:16:59 pm »
The seller John Teagle is a great guy to deal with I got my 1st C & J from him, he is even open to offers, not one much for emails the most you get out him is about three words, he takes paypal as well, when he found the engine to fit my bike he didn't charge me a bean (as purchase it as a roller only) all I had to pay was the shipping & what I got was the best part of a Bill Bell Long Beach Honda engine in mint condition.
For someone who obviously knows a bit about old bikes it puzzles my why he'd make such a boo boo. I can understand him not knowing his bike's a Hindall as they're pretty rare and not that well known, even in America. I would have thought it'd be pretty obvious that it wasn't a Rickman though. It's not remotely like any Rickman made. ???

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 07:37:59 pm »
Those type of swing arm mods were used on heavy MX sidecars ,Much more so on the "banana bend"  ones.  On a solo in the middle of the arm? ,must have for looks.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 10:02:45 pm »
Sorry Firko not sure it was Hindalls finest hour. Gotta love the exhaust system .... looks like a horror show in a market where that price would but something really cool. HL500 is still the ultimate expression of 4 stroke Yam singles, or Ribi front end Cheney.  ::)

Amazing how much alike we think there Marc ;)