Author Topic: Rickman Yammy 500  (Read 9182 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rickman Yammy 500
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 11:13:51 pm »
Amazing how much alike we think there Marc ;)
[/quote]

Brothers from different mothers my friend, so have you ordered Ribi for the Cheney Yam or are you bored with it and wanting to sell it to me.

formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 11:16:30 pm »
HL500 is still the ultimate expression of 4 stroke Yam singles, or Ribi front end Cheney.
Yep...I have a soft spot for HL's if they're built to '77 specs but those Cheney TT500 things are plug awful to look at. Take away the interesting but busy Ribi front end and you've got another TT500 special that missed the style bus. As a Cheney owner I really love them but it'd take a mother with the compassion of Mother Teresa to love this ugly step child. ;D. (before the smart arses start up I'm well aware the bike I've posted has a YZ465 engine but I couldn't find a shot of the TT500 version in my files. This 2 stroker is actually prettier than the four stroke version. What was Eric thinking??) The Hindall may have a weird swingarm and superceded technology but it looks like a fluid unit and not like a bad acid trip.

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 11:58:31 pm »
Ribis on the way ;D
Mabe you've gotten bored of your cantilever Cheney, and want to sell it to me?? ::)

I'm disagreeing on this one Mark, I think the bike is good looking. The ribi is a like it or not thing, but I like the bike.
Mine have a more roundish tank like the older Cheneys.

Chris Malam took some pics of a really nice one with normal forks at Telford, so look out in VMX.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:06:22 am by ola_martin »

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 12:12:42 am »
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:15:01 am by ola_martin »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 12:04:41 pm »
I think the Ribi forks make those Cheney TTs and most likely my Cheney Honda Cantilever, there is something mechanical and very cool about them.

If I have to put shit on Cheney's.... my personel issues is with the gas tanks, most of them look like a couple of cake tins with a strip brazed down the center. When you look straight down on top they also end up with a weird taper in them. I am using Lyta tank on the Cheney Honda.
formerly Marc.com

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 06:50:24 am »
I bought one with the hope of fitting an XL Honda engine but it didn't come close....not without a lot of hammer and oxy work anyway. 

i have something better than that, a sub frame kit to convert almost any bike to Rickman tank and body work, it is supposed to be for BSA but there may be a cooler way of using it.  ::)

Are you talking about who the made the MK2 Metisse in other words a BSA frame witha Rickman subframe that then allows you to fit the Metisse style bodywork?  It's like an A frame that bolts to the BSA frame to support the seat base.  I have a couple of them

The Metisse tank wont fit on the BSA single top tube frame.  I have had a mould make for that so all the bodywork is available, new, any colour.  Wont see many of them on the track......

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 06:54:12 am »
I think the Ribi forks make those Cheney TTs and most likely my Cheney Honda Cantilever, there is something mechanical and very cool about them.

If I have to put shit on Cheney's.... my personel issues is with the gas tanks, most of them look like a couple of cake tins with a strip brazed down the center. When you look straight down on top they also end up with a weird taper in them. I am using Lyta tank on the Cheney Honda.

I have a NOS Cheney frame for a centre port motor that Rod Spry has worked his magic on.
A set of Ribis are lined up for the front end.
I fancy the look of the 73 CR250 tank seat and guard combo which in my opionion will make a nice looking bike.
Trouble is I am seriously slow in getting things done at the money, but hope to get some help over the easter weekend.....

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »

Are you talking about who the made the MK2 Metisse in other words a BSA frame witha Rickman subframe that then allows you to fit the Metisse style bodywork?  It's like an A frame that bolts to the BSA frame to support the seat base.  I have a couple of them

The Metisse tank wont fit on the BSA single top tube frame.  I have had a mould make for that so all the bodywork is available, new, any colour.  Wont see many of them on the track......
[/quote]

Sounds like the same frame, will it cover the BSA single frame tubes?, I can understand the twin frame as it has huge top tupe.

Also I have ordered short Ribi for my cantilever, seems hot item/

formerly Marc.com

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 06:37:03 pm »
Seems like Col will be a bussey man...ยจ
Are you guys having the single or double tube version top part?

firko

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 09:51:01 pm »
I have had a mould make for that so all the bodywork is available, new, any colour.  Wont see many of them on the track......
I've got one of Bens Metisse bodywork kits and it's the best I've seen. Absolutely flawless.

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 05:51:19 am »
steel for the ribis was ordered today.  Length...?  not sure will set the bike up and see what to go for.  3 lengths are available.  will either be medium or short as this bike is not meant to be jacked up in the air.

mx250

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 08:11:29 am »
steel for the ribis was ordered today.  Length...?  not sure will set the bike up and see what to go for.  3 lengths are available.  will either be medium or short as this bike is not meant to be jacked up in the air.
I will be interested in your comments when you ride the Ribi front end. It looks interesting but I would predict that any wear in the suspension pivots would induce some vagueness into the feel of the steering.