Author Topic: Cairns shaking now.  (Read 9445 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Cairns shaking now.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 09:42:01 pm »
Global warmin they rekon. 

Well recently i had read a few things about some guys saying 'oh it should last me till 2012' and i had no idea what they were on about and then i looked it (2012) up and suposedly the world is ment to end in 2012 which was news to me. Everytime they say the world is gonna end it never does though. People get all paranoid and stock up on tinned food, battery powered radios and dolphin torches and nothing ever happens. Maybe all these natural disasters are a lead up though?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 09:51:44 pm »
December 21 2012 is when the Mayan calendar ends - in their culture when that happened they had a big celebration and moved onto the next period - now since they aren't aorund I guess they can't move onto the next period - apparently not related to world end at all.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 09:55:54 pm »
I just heard a news flash that a 4.8 'quake has erupted a few k's south of Cairns. What the fu*k is going on with Mother Earth?
The same thing that has been happening for the last few million years, the difference is that today we get global saturation of the event via media/internet almost instantly.
The same thing was going on 50 years ago, it just wasn't communicated around the world the way it is today. The boxing day tsunami a few years ago may not have even made the papers in other palces in the world back in 1950, same goes for the other catastrophies, not to down play these events, but satalites have made these events ours as much as the countries that they occured in.
They have been occuring long before humans arrived and they will be going on long after we are gone.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 09:59:36 pm »
    Anybody got any 700 maico donks layin around , Iam thinking of buildin' an ark and may need a bit of propulsion  8)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 10:27:11 pm »
   Anybody got any 700 maico donks layin around , Iam thinking of buildin' an ark and may need a bit of propulsion  8)

:D :D ;D
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 11:34:35 pm »

Well recently i had read a few things about some guys saying 'oh it should last me till 2012' and i had no idea what they were on about and then i looked it (2012) up and suposedly the world is ment to end in 2012 which was news to me. Everytime they say the world is gonna end it never does though. People get all paranoid and stock up on tinned food, battery powered radios and dolphin torches and nothing ever happens. Maybe all these natural disasters are a lead up though?

best i start storing up YZ's then   :D
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 06:54:46 am »
Evo550 has it right, in this day and age every little event is on our screens immediately and we all start seeing patterns and drawing connections. I was surprised last night while watching a show on TV about water to see that the monsoons failed in India back in the 1800s for about 10 years. India had a monster drought with thousands or millions dying. A truly terrible event, but if it happened today, it'd immediately be proof of some human effect on the weather and part of a global pattern of events. Maybe it was, but most likely it was just something that happened. For sure the monsoons came back.

Once you start looking it soon becomes obvious there have always been huge disasters, it's just that they weren't always known by everyone everywhere right away. Here's an interesting flood event in California I'd never heard of before a couple of days ago:

http://www.redlandsfortnightly.org/papers/Taylor06.htm

Today we are very quick to see danger in even the most common of events.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:59:13 am by Graeme M »

firko

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 07:42:16 am »
Another point that came to me is that many of these disasters seem to occur in 'third world' countries and are given a bit of superficial media coverage and then they (and our interest) moves on to the next headline grabber. When the disaster happens to occur in a developed country like NZ or Japan, they send in Kotchie and Carl Stephanovic and we get saturation coverage. The balance is all wrong.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:02 am »
Global warmin they rekon. 
I,ve got all my tins of stuff and bottles of water so if the world DOES end I,ll be OK. ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:13:36 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

TooFastTim

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 08:22:23 am »
Another point that came to me is that many of these disasters seem to occur in 'third world' countries and are given a bit of superficial media coverage and then they (and our interest) moves on to the next headline grabber. When the disaster happens to occur in a developed country like NZ or Japan, they send in Kotchie and Carl Stephanovic and we get saturation coverage. The balance is all wrong.

Mark, I admire your sentiments but the reality is that the third world countries, and I'm thinking of Africa in particular, have told the skilled people, those people who can design earthquake proof infrastructure and repair same, too eff off. The self same countries demonise western technology and farming methods yet using their own indigenous farming methods cannot feed themselves and have a huge population growth rate. Take for example Ethiopia. Since Geldorfs well meaning attempts at alleviating the famine, I think, 1984 Ethiopias population has doubled and is now almost entirely dependent of western food aid. Yet they will happily criticise "western imperialism" in the UN.

SA used to have the most efficient electrical generating capacity and cheapest electricity in the world but the govt decided that the employment figures didn't match the racial demographics and fired/laid off all the white sparkies, techies and engineers. The result is that SA now has a serious shortfall of generating capacity.

Sorry mate, IMO, they bring their woes upon themselves.

firko

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 10:31:19 am »
Tim... I was more referring to the media's tendency to cover events that effect "people like us" rather than the third world poor in Ethiopa or Bangladesh rather than the social reasons for the dramas in their countries. I was trying to make the point that there have been equal catastrophies in those poor countries that the media gives only token coverage because they perceive that we, the viewing public don't give much of a shit. On the other hand they go into overload with coverage of disasters in 'western countries'.....largely populated by people "like us".

I suspect that you're pretty right in your assumptions of the state the 'third world' countries find themselves in those countries but it doesn't detract from the sadness and loss these disasters bring.

Since Geldorfs well meaning attempts at alleviating the famine, I think, 1984 Ethiopias population has doubled and is now almost entirely dependent of western food aid. Yet they will happily criticise "western imperialism" in the UN.
As a side issue....I recently read that when Beatle George Harrison held the 'Concert for Bangladesh' to raise money for the victims of the huge famine in that country in 1970, they raised millions of dollars through record sales and donations. As of 2005, 35 years later, not one cent of the money raised has ever reached its intended recipients. It was all eaten up by infrastructure and corruption.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:40:04 pm by firko »

TooFastTim

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 12:55:51 pm »
Tim... I was more referring to the media's tendency to cover events that effect "people like us" rather than the third world poor in Ethiopa or Bangladesh

I don't disagree with that at all. Take the recent Pakistanis floods. On the front pages for three days and then nothing. I think they call it donor fatigue  ;).

Offline DOK

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 01:09:57 pm »
Anybody got any 700 maico donks layin around , Iam thinking of buildin' an ark and may need a bit of propulsion 

Dont forget to collect a set of unique Horns

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »
     Yeah probly one of each colour of those  :D

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 07:48:20 pm »
I blame the Greens, have no proof, I just dont like them
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.