Author Topic: Japan Kamaishi  (Read 34728 times)

mx250

Re: Japan Kamaishi
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2011, 03:01:29 pm »
What I don't get is if they are sitting on a pile of hot rocks, why don't they use thermohydro like Un Zud.

Probably because they can't get the same power from a thermo power station that they can get from a nuke.
And you don't get the same catastrophic world threatening, generation threatening, probs either. ::)

TooFastTim

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2011, 03:01:38 pm »
And geothermal is probably the most concentrated natural occurring source of energy there is.  

Cost. You dig a hole 50km's deep and try and pump water UP from it. You need a forking great pump. It's fine for some areas where the earths crust is thin like NZ or Iceland but not cost effective elsewhere.

TooFastTim

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2011, 03:06:12 pm »
What I don't get is if they are sitting on a pile of hot rocks, why don't they use thermohydro like Un Zud.

Probably because they can't get the same power from a thermo power station that they can get from a nuke.
And you don't get the same catastrophic world threatening, generation threatening, probs either. ::)

If you read Marcs post and if Marcs source is correct the whole thing has been blown so far out of proportion it's silly. Low water levels in the spent fuel pool? That's an inconvenience not a catastophe. Sure it would be a big problem if the water dried up completely but that isn't the case.

P.S. there's a story about some visitor oohing and ahhíng about the Cherenkov radiation at the bottom of the spent fuel pool, "how dangerous is it?"he asked his host. At which point his host stripped off and swam across the pool. Point is that water absorbs neutrons and the is subject to the inverse square law.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2011, 03:30:36 pm »

If you read Marcs post and if Marcs source is correct the whole thing has been blown so far out of proportion it's silly. Low water levels in the spent fuel pool? That's an inconvenience not a catastophe.[/quote]

Inconveinience is under stating it, my source works for Japanese Scientific research Center and has radiation monitoring equipment. He said the issue is to detect the radioactive ions from background radiation.

Anyway they have new roads and are moving fire pumps and other heavy equipment in to clear the debri. 

formerly Marc.com

TooFastTim

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2011, 03:47:37 pm »
He said the issue is to detect the radioactive ions from background radiation.

That says a lot. The radiation emmited is in the same ballpark as backgound (not a lot, unless you live in south western india).

Offline 500Fool

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2011, 03:53:33 pm »
So exposed fuel rods in four reactors is nothing to worry about? There are still 6 people missing from explosions/steam clouds/exhaust what ever you like to call them.

TooFastTim

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2011, 04:00:49 pm »
It's certainly no Chernobyl as the press are trying to imply. A serious problem no question but how exposed are they? How soon can they be recovered with water? Can they be recovered with water (pouring water on a very hot body is bad idea)?  If there is a meltdown how bad will it be? If further vents are required will the winds be favourable?

They way things are looking it may be, at worst, another three mile island.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2011, 04:31:01 pm »
They way things are looking it may be, at worst, another three mile island.

Well that is comforting!! I am sure that will calm the locals no end.

So assuming that the fuel rods are contained, and that there are further ejections of radioactive materials [and that is a big assumption at this time] then it is just another nuclear disaster.

I wonder if you ask a resident of the area that question, what would their perspective be? 10,000 lives lost, a significant piece of Japan will now be uninhabitable for the next 300 years, their homes, livelyhood, and way of life all gone. Doesn't sound like a disaster to me?  ???
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2011, 04:36:25 pm »
Latest is they have a a bulldozed road and 12 high pressure military fire fighting units, plus civil ones, plus helos. The fuel rod pool they need to smother so that is good job for fire fighters. Meanwhile they are bringing power in from another plant to bring up the main cooling system again.

The emperor spoke last night .... so no shortage of volunteers
formerly Marc.com

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2011, 05:18:04 pm »
Every day the media says 'its looking better/getting better/not as bad as was predicited' then the next day or next news report i hear, they say 'things have worsened/its very serious/the risk has gotten greater' etc and then it goes back to being 'the threat has eased/risk has lowered/they have it under control'' again. Talk about back an forth! Ultamately i think the 'nuclear disaster' is not going to be as bad as what they are saying/were saying. I remember the otherday they said it could wipe out all of Japan and a large chunk of asia. I am so over the media hyping these things and other natural disasters up, and over exagerating them  etc.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:19:48 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

TooFastTim

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2011, 05:20:07 pm »
I wonder if you ask a resident of the area that question, what would their perspective be? 10,000 lives lost, a significant piece of Japan will now be uninhabitable for the next 300 years, their homes, livelyhood, and way of life all gone. Doesn't sound like a disaster to me?  ???

Where are you getting this information? 10,000 lives lost? 300 years? No at worst it's a sarcphogus over the affected reactors. Move in when the construction crews leave.

People have been living next door to three mile island since before and after the accident.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2011, 05:25:32 pm »
Last night the Tepco power company workers announced that 150 of them had volunteered to give up their lives at the work site to repair the damage. It was very moving. 
I'm guessing none of the 150 are executives though, they'll be looking for bonuses for how well they handled things

TooFastTim

« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »
I'm guessing none of the 150 are executives though, they'll be looking for bonuses for how well they handled things

Nah, that would happen in the west Tony. In Japan they would do the honourable thing: seppuku  ::)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2011, 05:42:28 pm »
There is so much different information being told by the media. Today i have heard 'confirmation 10,000 dead' and i have also heard that a lot smaller amount that that has been 'confirmed dead' but many thousands are 'missing'. Lets see what tonights news says ::)
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

mx250

« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2011, 07:02:53 pm »

Where are you getting this information? 10,000 lives lost? 300 years? No at worst it's a sarcphogus over the affected reactors. Move in when the construction crews leave.

People have been living next door to three mile island since before and after the accident.
Where do you get your optimism pills from Tim? I would like to send a few to America and the American Atomic Authority - they seem to have a glum view of proceeding and the Japanese forthrightness ::) :P.