Author Topic: What BOOK have you read more than five times ..?  (Read 9955 times)

mainline

Re: What BOOK have you read more than five times ..?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 04:21:32 pm »
Jimg1au ... personal message sent

Dambusters!

Hands up who DID NOT have (or know someone who had) that old classic Airfix model of the Lancaster!

I used a hot pin to melt bullet holes in mine.   Very sexy bomber

I used a dart ;D not on the lancaster though. Only on the ones which had "crashed" beyond repair. Had a massive box full of them, and gave them away ::) Now I've got a six year old who would kill for them.

I couldn't list all the books I love but since a minor theme exists, "Reach for the Sky" is one I read as a plane nut when I was a kid and have re-read more than a few times since. Inspirational stuff.

suzuki43

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 04:54:22 pm »
Fear and loathing in Las Vegas.
It has a dirt bike angle,and  written by a true legend:Hunter S Thompson.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:57:28 pm by suzuki43 »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 06:05:03 pm »
 Very rarely read books, trained myself early to read comics. I admire people who can read any book that does not have pictures, especially with no explanation of how two clutch transmissions or something work.
In my teens and later I used to go to the pictures  every time that the programme changed, Fairfield Crescent,then Hargrave park Nissan hut, then Chester Hill after we finally got a commission house at Villawood.
 It was Tech days then and the only books I read cover to cover and back to front and inside out was tech books, service manuals, tuning for speed, wheels magazine [from a dog eared no.1 onwards] Les Archers Scrambles and Motorcross, and stuff like that.
 However I read 'How to win friends etc by Dale Carnegie [should be read in schools] Animal Farm, What do you mean he ALMOST got it right Firko?, and a few others. The most engrossing book I ever read that had nothing mechanical in whatso-ever was called The Financier by Theodore Driesser, that was about a foot thick and I was on hols at Blue Lagoon  beach Bateau bay, I was reading that 'till nearly sun up every morn.
 As far as maths is concerned I was a miserable failure at it always but don't hate it as I believe maths is one of the few things in this world that can work out EXACTLY right. cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

TooFastTim

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 06:28:46 pm »
I believe maths is one of the few things in this world that can work out EXACTLY right. cheers pancho.

Should it not it wouldn't be maths and we'd be in deep doo doo.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12:21 pm »
doggy digger
Mine are the Nino Culotta trilogy.
My God!  I'd forgotten them! I had read them MANY times over! Superb comedy. I used to think he was real. A great sadness when I found out Nino was fake.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, 09:18:20 pm »
I concur or the Chickenhawk book, a really good read

For me the Dam Buster book is also not much thought of but if your into tech developements of WW2 it has a lot on Barnes Wallis - now there's is a guy with a brain the size of the universe!
Do you mean Enemy Coast Ahead (Guy Gibson) or The Dam Busters by Paul Brickhill? Both awesome reads. Barnes Wallis was indeed a genius. Oh and Brickhill also did the brilliant Reach For the Sky. And heck, did any of you ever read the superb war books of Russell Braddon - Nancy Wake, Cheshire VC, The Naked Island?

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 09:22:26 pm »
the trilogy of 4 books from "The Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy" maybe, that is why, I'm so warped ::)
The increasingly innacurately named trilogy had FIVE parts :-) Frighteningly, I can quote large sections verbatim!

Now if only Ford Prefect had ridden a Suzuki, so much of this wouldn't have happened!

TooFastTim

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2011, 10:07:44 pm »
Cheshire VC

One of my heroes. Only man to watch the dropping of both atom bombs. Flew on pathfinder missions (even taking a drop in rank to be permitted to fly) and later founded the Cheshire homes. What a man.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 10:20:03 pm »
Hmm, well, I"ll  admit to being a Spike Milligan tragic, got all his books I can find , Silly verse for Kids, A Little Potboiler, Open Heart University etc, etc, etc ,but the one I have read a Zillion times is " Puckoon ", bloody hell what a tragic mind !!.
Never mind " He's fallen in the water !! " oooooh the Goons !! , yep got all the scripts.

And now ,  Moriarty, to be serious , Gerald Seymour's " Holding the Zero " , a very enthralling yarn culminating in a sniper duel in the middle east, set in around 2000 , Jim just got me a replacement copy, I lent my other copy to a Mister Plod , he didn't return it.
Foss

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2011, 12:55:02 am »

Dambusters!

Hands up who DID NOT have (or know someone who had) that old classic Airfix model of the Lancaster!

I used a hot pin to melt bullet holes in mine.   Very sexy bomber

I had one of those!  Around the time my dad was reading and raving about the the Nino Culotta trilogy

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2011, 09:42:03 am »
Yeh jerry is correct Bob Barrett is tops. Les is the coolest i think ill go and cook a couple of steaks a dozen lamb cutlets some bacon a few pork chops and wash it down with half a carton of XXXX and a BIG DELISH.
then go out and find some dacka and have a hot one then beat up a few would be thugs.
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

firko

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2011, 11:09:29 am »
The cool thing is that Bob Barrett channels Les Norton and are one and the same person. Barrett lives the Les Norton lifestyle to the hilt...he's a deadset Eastern Suburbs legend. ;D

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2011, 12:19:45 pm »
Growing up my old man was a sales rep for Airfix models. You reckon I didn't have Lancasters and Spitfires to burn!!! Having said that let me say this "Homage to Catalonia" by George Orwell. Great bit in it when he's trying to organise the anachists so that they can do a better against Franco's fascists. The problem being of course that anarchists dont respond well to someone trying to organize them. Sensational stuff. Loved it! J

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2011, 12:20:56 pm »
ok so i am a big kid. i never find the time or inclination to read a serious book.

i have read the following at least 15 times (for both my daughters benefit and mine  :D)

the Dr Seuss Classic "Green eggs and ham"
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Curly3

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2011, 12:31:10 pm »
You the man, Hoony am.
Green eggs and ham.
Hey Firko, how many noses has RGB burst like ripe fig over the years?
Notice I have resisted the temptation to " CROW " about the footy from last night.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:40:11 pm by SlideRulz »